• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan's OC organization loses 2A right to open carry in 19 public libraries!

TheQ

See the Michigan Forum for more details.

Today Michigan Open Carry, Inc. was served a temporary restraining order from Capital Area District Library(CADL). This order bans MOC members and it affiliates from open carrying into the CADL's libraries. We ask that for now you refrain from OCing there for the time being. We will be having a hearing on February 24, 2011 at 11:00am. The court is located at 303 W. Kalamazoo, 2nd Floor, Lansing, MI. MAP

MOC has retained legal counsel to represent us in this matter. We ask all who can to come out to show your support. This case can have huge implications on 2A rights.

TRO

Michigan Open Carry Inc. will need donations to pay for our legal defense of the temporary restraining order issued against us and our members(see other thread for details). Per legal counsel, a separate legal fund should not be created. All donations to MOC for this endeavor are much appreciated. A selfless MOC member has made a generous offer of $1000 in matching funds for the first $1000 donated. MOC has a PayPal page/account set up for electronic/credit card donations. There is a line which asks for "Purpose", please indicate "Legal Defense" and we will purpose those funds directly towards that end. Checks can also be sent to our PO box, please write "Legal Defense" in the notes section. Thank you in advance for your support.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=PDWLSZR4ANB5U

Michigan Open Carry
PO Box 8326
Eastpointe, MI 48021

DanM

See the Michigan Forum for more details.

This illegal attempt to ban open carry by a public library affects *all* who open carry in Michigan, residents of the state and visitors. Those of you, especially, who visit Michigan and open carry or want to defend your right to open carry should consider donating.

The Admin has! (Way to go, John!)

Nevada carrier

I read a good portion of the complaint, and I must say it's been a long time since I've read such chicken **** whining. The Library's argument that they are an "authority" and because the legislature did not expressly say that "authorities" prohibited from superseding Michigan gun laws is a bogus claim. They fail to realize that the state of Michigan reserves for itself the authority to regulate Guns. Since the CADL is not an arm of the state legislature, they can not exempt themselves from preemption.

I believe Michigan Open Carry has been harmed by both the court as well as the CADL. I believe they should now file a lawsuit in federal court under 42 U.S.C. section 1983 against the CADL and the court. Time to raise the stakes.

Here is a sample letter you can send to them through their own website, cadl.org.

I'm afraid that because CADL is in violation of the Constitution of the United States, infringing upon the right of citizens to bear arms, I can no longer visit your facilities. You have created an atmosphere that is now a target for armed criminals as they are now assured that no one in your facility can be lawfully armed to defend themselves should a violent crime occur. It is now just too dangerous to use your libraries.

Because you are in violation of the Constitution of the United States, as well as Michigan firearms preemption statutes, I will be endeavoring to have any State and Federal funding of your libraries terminated until such time as your organization complies with state law and the Constitution of the United States. I am fully aware that revenue received directly from patrons of the public library is insufficient to cover your operating costs. I also understand that private grants are also insufficient. If CADL wishes to continue to receive subsidies from public sources it must abide by the rights of the people who fund it. Including their right to be armed for their own self defense.

Good day.

Last edited:

kubel

...the state of Michigan reserves for itself the authority to regulate Guns. Since the CADL is not an arm of the state legislature, they can not exempt themselves from preemption.

Best explanation of preemption I've heard yet.

BTW: Donation sent. I humbly ask that everyone take this opportunity to consider donating to support the 2A. Michigan could really use your help.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
"We will be having a hearing on February 24, 2011 at 11:00am. The court is located at 303 W. Kalamazoo, 2nd Floor, Lansing, MI. MAP

"MOC has retained legal counsel to represent us in this matter. We ask all who can to come out to show your support. This case can have huge implications on 2A rights."

This is happening on THURSDAY! If you're anywhere in that neck of the woods, please attend!

karle

just a thought

since i live in SC i am NOT a member of michigan' open carry group but i am working to get open carry legalized here FL and the other 3 states its not currently legal in...google and sign the petitions please....but enough on that...

my thoughts are this ....since the injunction prohibits members of michigans open carry group u should send any non-member in openly carrying.....if they are not stopped and asked to leave (which legally they couldn't be since the injunction doesn't apply to them) u as a group should have legal cause for a discrimination suit....

i may be wrong here (and often am) but it worth looking into and doing......since it is illegal to prohibit one group from doing something the rest of the public can legally do.;)

VW_Factor

I believe that has been discussed.

Otherwise, I wish I had the money to offer for donation.

I do wish you guys luck in the courts.