• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

San Luis Obispo / Santa Barbara County

Army

I carry in SLO frequently. Higuera street in the main downtown area is off-limits (GFSZ), but Marsh street is not. I hang at Ben Franklins for lunch quite often, as the owner is also a gun nut.

scott26

I carry in SLO frequently. Higuera street in the main downtown area is off-limits (GFSZ), but Marsh street is not. I hang at Ben Franklins for lunch quite often, as the owner is also a gun nut.

Good to know it happens around these parts... what school is on Higuera?

since9

Campaign Veteran

No, he's not. We're not "gun nuts." I own two firearms, and have qualified on countless handgun, rifle, and air launched firearms qualifications under my belt over the years, uncluding several from our nuclear arsenal.

Yet I own just two firearms these days, so what makes me a "gun nut" simply because I choose to protect and defend myself and my family against those who would break the law by committing robbery, burglury, assault, or other forms of criminal behavior against myself or my family?

You want to know what a gun nut is? I can't define it. I campaign for our Second Amendment rights, but that campaign began in 1989, when I swore an oath to do so, commensurate with the commissioning oaths all officers of our Armed Forces are required to take prior to our commissioning.

That doesn't make one a "gun nut."

Years ago, when I was in middle school, my father had to leave on a business trip and my mom was away with her mom, who was suffering from cancer. They left me in the care of some very good friends. Shortly after that time ended, I saw his collection at his house and was like "wowee!" It wasn't an arsenal, but it was certainly a serious collection of antiquities originally owned mostly by people you and I know from having read about them in our history books! Wow!

One night, while heading towards the midnight trenches, I ran into his wife in a negligee, too, and as I was in 8th grade, my response was the same: Wow.

Lol, life as an early teen...

Anyway!

Ok, you skanks, it was just a brief run-in, nothing more. Back then both her and my generations were raised with morals, damn you! Damn you all to hell!

Ok, an hilarious take-off from Charleton Heston's Planet of the Apes final epilogue.

Seriously, while I'm having fun at this (we all watched Planet of the Apes earlier) nothing happened, so cool your jets.

And getting back to "gun nuts," he wasn't a "gun nut." He was an "afficionado of armed antiquities." In other terms, he could most certainly be described (and probably was) an "antiquities collector" as he had the entire pedigree of each and every firearm laid out in illuminated display.

He was a curator. I could care less if "modern" curators would care to count them amongst themselves. He spent more time detailing the history of each and every firearm in his posession than I imagine most curators would of their own works.

He was a curator.

Not a gun nut.

So, whoever you are who might be throwing that "gun nut" term around, you're not exactly doing us a favor by doing so. We're not "gun nuts." Please note that several Hollywood Special Effects shops have hundreds of fully functional replicas on hand which have been and will continue to be used in countless "shoot-em-up" movies throughout the years and into the years to come.

Are they "gun nuts?"

No.

As an individual who has fired everything from a BB gun to the most powerful (simulated) nuclear weapon in the U.S. arsenal (1MT+). I do not consider myself to be a "gun nut." I consider myself to be someone who rose from the ranks of a newspaper carrier to military officer to retired thereof. Along the way I developed an appreciation for the historic rights of our forefathers to keep and bear arms, and the fact that our country would not have ever existed without that right.

I also developed a sense of preservation of the peace which, our principal founder prayed for, often, and which he, also often, hoped would never come to pass. Throughout it all, he prayed things wouldn't have to come to a head, but he was no stupe. He understood it might, was probably aware that it would, and was prepared when it did.

We see it in 20/20 hindsight. He saw it as it happened, in 20/0 hindsight.

The difference is that I see each and every day of our civilization blessed with a wonderful opportunity to grab hold of our new day and make the most of it. I make no promises. I simply know that our human spirit has yet to end, despite 10,000 years of vehement, violent opposition against us.

- NEVERENDS

Last edited:

JBolder

School on Higuera?

Good to know it happens around these parts... what school is on Higuera?

There is Dance Obispo at 672 Higuera, with classes for 3yo thru teens. Also, the SLO Little Theater at 888 Morro St has acting classes for K-12. These might qualify as GFZs, I don't know for sure. I would enjoy OC at farmers market on Thurs. nights!

ryanburbridge

I'm a GUN NUT!
I'm a CAR NUT!
I'm a FREEDOM NUT!

Who said NUTS were bad?

Too "PC" for me. I like being a NUT. Hope I'm not alone lol.

"If squirt guns are outlawed, only outlaw squirts will have guns!"

James Taranto

Decoligny

There is Dance Obispo at 672 Higuera, with classes for 3yo thru teens. Also, the SLO Little Theater at 888 Morro St has acting classes for K-12. These might qualify as GFZs, I don't know for sure. I would enjoy OC at farmers market on Thurs. nights!

Just because a "school" of something or other holds classes teaching kids in the K-12 age group does NOT make them K-12 schools.

A "school" when dealing with the GFSZ law, is one that actually provides instruction in grades K-12 inclusive, not to grades K-12 inclusive. This means that they are teaching a state approved curriculum for any or all of these grades.

So, if I open a school of paper airplane making and target kids in the K-12 age as my clientelle, I am not running a school, and the 1,000 foot GFSZ does not apply to my facility.

Army

Lighten up Francis...

We talk about guns, shooting, hunting, and what's going on at the local club.

Does that make us ''gun conversers''? No. Don't ''PC'' our guns.

Mission Preparatory is the 1000 footer. Farmers Market is out of the question.

Decoligny

Lighten up Francis...

We talk about guns, shooting, hunting, and what's going on at the local club.

Does that make us ''gun conversers''? No. Don't ''PC'' our guns.

Mission Preparatory is the 1000 footer. Farmers Market is out of the question.

It's best to respond using the quotes.
For a moment there I thought you were telling me to lighten up, then I looked over the whole thread again and realized you were directing the response to "since9"