• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ex-wife seeking sole custody becaise I open carry

sudden valley gunner

When I was buying a gun during custody fight in my divorce, the judge threw out the attempt by her lawyers (and mine!!!!!!!) as having no bearing on the case.

He had also threw out the TRO as having no merit saying he could tell I wasn't the person it painted, but had everything to do with money.

Eventually she got it all money and my kids.........:(.

I don't know about your state, but money is the bottom factor here in Washington, I was perceived as the money maker (wrongly in many ways) and if it was the other way around there would be no reason for the state to be involved so even if the father is the better parent the majority of the time he looses here.

wildhawker

My ex-wife is seeking sole custody of our 3 year old son because I open carry in my home in Sacramento CA. We had a custody mediation and the mediator said that although I am lawfully allowed to do so, he believes that I am wrong for carrying at home around my child and he is recommending to the court that I keep my gun locked up at all times. I even handed him a copy of PC 12025 and 12026 which he just wrote off. When my son is not at my home I keep my gun on the nightstand while I am in bed. Is that legal? Also, I was Army Infantry from 2005-2009 with a tour in Iraq in 2007 (honorable discharge). I have been diagnosed with PTSD because I have nightmares. The mediator is using this against me saying that my PTSD is the reason that I carry a gun and that I need counseling. I can't afford an attorney. Does anyone know of a way to get an attorney pro bono or cheap? Am I in accordance with the law? Will the judge agree with me or rule based on opinion? I need help so any info would be much appreciated.

You need a good family law/firearms attorney ASAP. It will not be free or cheap, but it will give you the best chance of custody. There is no better man for this than Don Kilmer.

-Brandon

###

Law Offices of Donald Kilmer, A Professional Corporation
1645 Willow Street, Suite 150
San Jose, CA 95125
Ph: (408) 264-8489
Fx: (408) 264-8487
info@dklawoffice.com

rotorhead

My ex-wife is seeking sole custody of our 3 year old son because I open carry in my home in Sacramento CA. We had a custody mediation and the mediator said that although I am lawfully allowed to do so, he believes that I am wrong for carrying at home around my child and he is recommending to the court that I keep my gun locked up at all times. I even handed him a copy of PC 12025 and 12026 which he just wrote off. When my son is not at my home I keep my gun on the nightstand while I am in bed. Is that legal? Also, I was Army Infantry from 2005-2009 with a tour in Iraq in 2007 (honorable discharge). I have been diagnosed with PTSD because I have nightmares. The mediator is using this against me saying that my PTSD is the reason that I carry a gun and that I need counseling. I can't afford an attorney. Does anyone know of a way to get an attorney pro bono or cheap? Am I in accordance with the law? Will the judge agree with me or rule based on opinion? I need help so any info would be much appreciated.

This is somewhat related, although it won't help in any way with your case. That kind of advice is better left to lawyers, and I am not a lawyer.

But, when I was in the process of retiring, the docs tried to tack on PTSD to my records simply because I had trouble sleeping. Personally I feel it's in no way connected to military service, but the DA/ VA has been trying to tack on PTSD ever since Bush changed the rules somewhat in the mid- 2000s. His intentions were good, trying to make it easier for Veterans that needed help to get it, as well as smoothing the road for related benefits.

But, it also has unintended consequences. A PTSD diagnosis can affect (in some states) the application process for concealed permits (whatever they are called in the different states) as well as buying permits (if a person's state required them).

I can only think that one's officially diagnosed mental issues will be further scrutinized in the coming years, especially with more and more public calls to attention to shootings such as the one in Arizona that involved a US Congresswoman. I can't help but feel that a person's official medical records (especially those that deal with their mental health) will be official fodder both on the federal and state level more and more in the future.

As it turned out, I did not allow for any mention of PTSD in my final records. For one, I thought that it was not a proper diagnosis. For two, I did not want any mention of it in records that could possibly be used against me in determining my capacity to either work or to buy anything related to guns in the future.

By all means, if PTSD is something people are dealing with, I encourage everyone to seek the help that's out there. Access and care has greatly improved especially in the past 5-10 years or so. For those who need it, help is there and it's easier to get than ever before.

However, I would also highly suggest that people take a good look at circumstances where it may be tacked onto your records unduly, simply because the government wants to "help" you out in scenarios where they may be pushing it on you without regard to a proper diagnosis.

In other words, if anyone thinks that by putting it in your records simply because you can get more from the VA, it may work out as a detriment rather than something that helps in the long run.

I want to stress that I am speaking in general terms to the open forum, and not addressing any individual specifically.

*edited to correct my error in writing that California was the location of the recent shooting of a US Congresswoman. It now correctly states that the shooting happened in AZ. Blame it on the early hour.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I can only think that one's officially diagnosed mental issues will be further scrutinized in the coming years, especially with more and more public calls to attention to shootings such as the one in California that involved a US Congresswoman. I can't help but feel that a person's official medical records (especially those that deal with their mental health) will be official fodder both on the federal and state level more and more in the future.

As it turned out, I did not allow for any mention of PTSD in my final records. For one, I thought that it was not a proper diagnosis. For two, I did not want any mention of it in records that could possibly be used against me in determining my capacity to either work or to buy anything related to guns in the future.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in Arizona not in California.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_congresswoman_shot

How do you "don't allow" or not permit a medical diagnosis?

rotorhead

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords was shot in Arizona not in California.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_congresswoman_shot

How do you "don't allow" or not permit a medical diagnosis?

lol too early for thinking. Yes, it was in AZ, not CA. I'll adjust previous post in a minute.

I did "not allow" a false diagnosis to be recorded during the interview stage. The doc basically asked me if I felt I had PTSD after he noted on my form that I had marked down that I had trouble sleeping. I told him that I didn't feel it was related to PSTD and he neither agreed nor disagreed. He just asked about it and I answered. Based on that he did not officially diagnose me with PTSD, simple as that.

Initially, he thought maybe he could help me out by noting it down on my records, saying that it would be easier to pave the way for me when dealing with the VA if I decided to apply for financial benefits. I guess he felt that, based on my answers to his questions, he could justify it being noted down. I had felt that it may be detrimental in other ways later on in life, therefore did not want it noted or recorded.

It wasn't like he was convinced I had PSTD and was determined to write it down and I intervened and argued for hours about it. Just didn't happen that way. It was a casual discussion between us that took maybe 45 seconds before we moved on to other parts of the interview.

MamaLiberty

Unfortunately, and though it may well be far too late now, you may have to choose between the gun and your child. I really sympathize with you, and the fact that you are in California is the pits... but there it is. Good luck.