• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sick Day

Ruby

I don't think this homeowner was very smart. The story doesn't say whether or not the burglar gave up the knife; I assume he did. I would NOT drag a criminal into my house or physically touch him to detain him, that's very dangerous should the burglar decide to fight the home owner or take away the gun. I would have stayed inside, called police, and kept my gun ready and taken up a defensive position. I would not even let the burglar know I am home unless he gained entry to the house. Since the burglar is armed with a knife, I would be justified to shoot in self defense. This home owner was very stupid and very lucky the burglar surrendered. He will also be very lucky if the burglar doesn't sue HIM for assault, since he admitted pistol whipping the guy. I hope he knows a damn good attorney. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Yeah, I know, we all want to cheer for the home owner because he stopped and caught a BG. Doesn't change the fact that the home owner committed a crime too; he may pay dear for it. I am VERY surprised that SPD didn't charge the home owner.

skiingislife725

+1 Ruby.

I really don't care if the burglar got pistol-whipped for breaking into the guy's house for a third time, but this homeowner handled it like a big dumba$$. Watching too much tv and not knowing enough about the reality of self-defense. You don't shoot around someone without the intent to kill/stop them (because it shows that you weren't really in fear of your life) and you sure as heck don't pistol-whip them and yank them into your house. And hold them by the hair? Talk about naive. The guy's lucky the man didn't disarm him being so unnecessarily close to the burglar. Since he didn't get burgled a third time, maybe he'll have some extra money to take a real training course now...he sure as heck needs it, he's gonna get himself killed with his own gun. Not to mention upping his chances of losing his whole house.

Last edited: