• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Farley and Dyersville

Uber_Olafsun

Ok so i am I'm in Dyersville for the weekend since I have a class in WI and was reading the news. So now Farley has just passed the first reading of an ordinance to ban firearms on city property and next week Dyersville is attempting the same. Has there been any news on the state cracking down on cities trying this BS?

amaixner

Ok so i am I'm in Dyersville for the weekend since I have a class in WI and was reading the news. So now Farley has just passed the first reading of an ordinance to ban firearms on city property and next week Dyersville is attempting the same. Has there been any news on the state cracking down on cities trying this BS?

The state AG is an anti-gun zealot, so he won't do jack.

There IS a study bill in committee that will allow preemptive lawsuits against any city/county that has any such law, and allows for seizure of assets to cover all legal costs plus treble damages. Once it passes, the results will be amusing.

For now, you can just IGNORE the ordinanaces because they are illegal, and ignore any resolutions because resolutions aren't laws and are unenforcable. Only state and federal laws matters for firearms in Iowa.

For more information, there are several long threads with good discussion over at http://www.iowacarry.org/forums1/index.php
Here's a short one: http://www.iowacarry.org/forums1/index.php?showtopic=21637&st=0

Last edited:

Uber_Olafsun

My father is going to the Dyersville city council tonight with the code that shows they can't make a law against it. Be interesting to hear how it turns out. As i was driving back to WI for my class i had to stop at a gas station that had a no firearms sign posted. Would have gone to another but none close and ice storm following me.

Tucker6900

My father is going to the Dyersville city council tonight with the code that shows they can't make a law against it. Be interesting to hear how it turns out. As i was driving back to WI for my class i had to stop at a gas station that had a no firearms sign posted. Would have gone to another but none close and ice storm following me.

If they are anything like the smaller towns in Iowa, they will at least hear you out, and take you thoughts into consideration. However, even if they pass a resolution, it holds no weight of law. Ignore it.

Tucker6900

They are waiting two weeks to decide. They say that it would be a resolution so they could pursue trespassing charges for even going to a city park.

Again, another council that obviously has not actually read any laws, or even the definition of a resolution. Keep us posted.