• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of date/preempted Loudoun County/Town of Leesburg Code?

conhntr

http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1352

1092.20 Carrying or Discharging Weapons.

The carrying or discharging, in any park or community center, of any firearm, air gun, gas gun, spring-operated gun, BB gun, slingshot, dart device or bow and arrow is prohibited, except as specifically authorized by the Department of Parks and Recreation in connection with a supervised recreational activity or except as may be carried by a duly authorized law enforcement officer. (Ord. 85-12. Passed 9-16-85.)

http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=14603&doc_action=whatsnew
(5)***Hunting and firearms... No person shall within a park use, carry, or possess firearms of any description, unless he is the authorized holder of a valid commonwealth concealed weapons permit. Such a permit must be on their person when carrying any concealed weapon within the boundaries of any town park....

Loudoun county/town of leesburg

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
To: Ed
Sent: 1/13/2011 12:48:57 P.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: RE: BOS Public Input & Business Meeting 1.4.11 & 1.5.11

Dear Ed,
Thank you for contacting us regarding Chapter 1092.90 of the Codified
Ordinances of Loudoun County. The Board of Supervisor’s initially addressed
Code 1092.20 in their meeting on June 16th, 2009, as item 11d. They
forwarded 1092.20 to the Public Safety and Human Services Committee for review
(9-0 in favor). 1092.20 was then discussed at the July 8th, 2009 Public
Safety and Human Services Committee and a recommendation was sent to the Board
of Supervisor’s July 21st, 2009 meeting as item 14d. The language was
modified as follows:
1092.20 CARRYING OR DISCHARGING WEAPONS.
The carrying or discharging, in any park or community center, of any
firearm, pneumatic gun, air gun, gas gun, spring-operated gun, BB gun,
slingshot, dart device or bow and arrow in any public park or community center is
prohibited, except as specifically authorized by the Department of Parks and
Recreation in connection with a supervised recreational activity or except
as may be required carried by a duly authorized law enforcement officer..
(Ord. 85-12. Passed 9-16-85.)
Since that time, the document on the internet has not been updated, and I
have contacted the County Attorney’s office about the discrepancy.
Here are three links to the relevant documents, and the webcast from the
July 21st Board of Supervisor’s meeting.
Webcast:
_http://loudoun.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=38&clip_id=1291_ (http://loudoun.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=38&clip_id=1291)
Action Report from the July 21st BOS Meeting:
_http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=0ca3a990974043eab89731e08d6ac4
1a&tabid=312&fmpath=%2fBusiness+Meeting+Packets_
(http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/spe...ontent.aspx?data=0ca3a990974043eab89731e08d6a
c41a&tabid=312&fmpath=/Business+Meeting+Packets)
Item 14d (contains recommendations, background, motions, attachments):
_http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=ad402
f7f183d4ef9a37b93943b8f1ed4&tabid=312&fmpath=%2fBusiness+Meeting+Packets_
(http://www.loudoun.gov/controls/speerio/resources/RenderContent.aspx?data=ad4
02f7f183d4ef9a37b93943b8f1ed4&tabid=312&fmpath=/Business+Meeting+Packets)

Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions.
With warm regards,
Scott
Scott K. York
Scott K. York, Chairman
Loudoun County Board of Supervisors
703-777-0204
_Scott.York@loudoun.gov_ (mailto:Scott.York@loudoun.gov)
If you would like to subscribe to my e-newsletter, that includes reports
on the BOS meetings, please _click here._
(http://www.loudoun.gov/subforms/sub1.htm)
Please be aware that correspondence sent by or to Loudoun County Board of
Supervisors and staff members is subject to Virginia's Freedom of
Information Act.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ed, are you suggesting that the matter was "taken care of"? "Cause I still see they are trying to regulate the carrying of firearms in parks and community centers via a town ordinance.

So, what's that email supposed to mean, and what's your "carry on" supposed to mean? I'm just an old coot who is easily perfused and conplexed.

stay safe.

ed

Ed, are you suggesting that the matter was "taken care of"? "Cause I still see they are trying to regulate the carrying of firearms in parks and community centers via a town ordinance.

So, what's that email supposed to mean, and what's your "carry on" supposed to mean? I'm just an old coot who is easily perfused and conplexed.

stay safe.

I was simply posting the email I got back from Scott York when I asked him about this. That is Loudoun County.. I guess I will ALSO have to address Leesburg. Carry On is similar to your "stay safe".. In old coot terms, it means to go back to doing what you were doing. On THIS board it also has a double meaning.. go back to what you were doing and CARRY (wherever legally applicable so that you can STAY SAFE) :lol:

ed

No person shall within a park use, carry, or possess firearms of any description, unless he is the authorized holder of a valid commonwealth concealed weapons permit. Such a permit must be on their person when carrying any concealed weapon within the boundaries of any town park....

I just sent them an e-mail. I will post the response here. Thanks for the heads up.

Ed

conhntr

Ok ed this time i got the "gun" "gum" thing straight ;)

I noticed the leesburg code at the dog park at the old izak walton park. Signage said no weapons citing the code above referenced

ed

Ok ed this time i got the "gun" "gum" thing straight ;)

I noticed the leesburg code at the dog park at the old izak walton park. Signage said no weapons citing the code above referenced

photo?

- - - -
In a message dated 2/19/2011 7:08:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, kumstattd@leesburgva.gov writes:
Dear Ed:
Thank-you for bringing this to our attention. You had asked how long it would take the Council to bring a Town ordinance into compliance with state law. In the case of this kind of ordinance, assuming no involvement of the planning commission, it could take as few as 4-5 weeks to correct, 8 weeks at the outside. The Council would have to initiate an ordinance change at a future meeting, most likely at the March 8th meeting, hold a public hearing, which requires 2 consecutive weeks of prior advertising in a local newspaper of general distribution, and then vote either the night of the public hearing (most likely) or at the next council meeting. I will ask our town attorney to advise us in greater detail on the process.
Very sincerely yours,
Kristen Umstattd, Mayor

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ed -

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. I was worried there for a moment that you had gone TU on persuing this sort of stuff all the way to resolution.

Go get 'm, tiger! Think you'll need to take them to court over this?

stay safe.

ed

Think you'll need to take them to court over this?
Nope.. They all KNOW me personally and know I am right. It just takes the wheels time to turn.

This is me workin the airshow last year:
edcart.jpg

This is Brooke with the Mayor of Leesburg.. I took the pic while OC.
DSC01961.JPG

ed

In a message dated 2/23/2011 12:15:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, kumstattd@leesburgva.gov writes:
Dear Ed:
I raised your 2nd amendment issue during tonight's council worksession. Our town attorney will be bringing an ordinance change to council, we believe, at the next council meeting.
Very sincerely yours,
Kristen =

conhntr

Ed i havent been back to the dog park (he just had a bath;); but i emailed a pic of a similar sign i found at fox ridge park posted at the pavailion and softball field. Weapon language is the same. Im assuming the town has a map of their signs or do you want each location i see?

ed

Ed i havent been back to the dog park (he just had a bath;); but i emailed a pic of a similar sign i found at fox ridge park posted at the pavailion and softball field. Weapon language is the same. Im assuming the town has a map of their signs or do you want each location i see?
Anytime we see an illegal sign we should let the authorities know so it can be removed.

I followed up with both Loudoun and Leesburg today for updates and am waiting for replies.

Ed