• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Educated answers to an inquiry from the public about you OCing

kubel

My favorite Q/A is:

Why do you carry a gun?
In case I have to shoot someone.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Challenged / questioned twice in this manner by the public.

Is it legal for you to carry that gun like that? My answer (calmly with a subtle smile). I am authorized under State and Federal law to carry this way. Then I will say aren't you? This usually draws a confused look then a ..uhm..no..I don't think I am. I then say hey you might just be, check out [then steer them to a site for legal info.]. These two instances were with CCers who thought they caught me doing someting bad? I hope I planted the seed of the legallity of OC in their heads. On a closing note these both happend on hot summer days & I'm sure they were thinking "damn that looks a hell of a lot more comfortable than stuffing this thing in my waistband and sweeting all over it all day!"

;)

manicdevery

Some of my favorite answers...

Why do you carry a gun?
In case I have to shoot someone.

4. I don't understand why you carry? I'll give you three reasons. Meet my wife and 2 young children

8. Are you compensating for something? Yes, I don't have my rifle so this will have to do for now.

they were all good responses. Can't wait to see you guys this summer.

Dev Nuggent

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
The last time I was asked anything about my pistol, it was:

1. Is that hammer back? Yes, it's cocked and locked, meaning the hammer is back, the safety is on, and yes, there's also a round in the chamber.

2. Aren't you afraid it might go off accidentally? No, if I thought that would happen, I'd take it to a gunsmith and get it fixed.

That was pretty much it. The old guy (and I'm 55) who asked didn't seem concerned that I was packing, only that my 1911 was cocked. :)

Scooter

Over the years I have used a combination of the answers here, so thanks to eveyone for posting their interactions!
I usually get the "who are you with..?" question (meaning what PD) This leads to a simple explanation of being a regular joe who OC's. My conversations vary by person/alotted time/attitude of the other person. I have never had a conversation turn out bad. Most people seem to 'get' legality and logic......most people. ;)