• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Educated answers to an inquiry from the public about you OCing

manicdevery

The title pretty much sums it up. Any educated answers to an inquiry from the public about you OCing.

when someone asks, "is that real?," "Why do you have a gun?," or anything like that, what is your educated response.

Thanks as always,

Devery

PDinDetroit

1. Is it Real? Yes.

2. Why do you carry a firearm? For Personal Protection.

3. Why don't you conceal it? Personal Preference.

4. I don't understand why you carry? I do.

5. Are you going to pull that out and shoot everybody? I will only use it as needed for Self-Defense.

6. What are you afraid of? Not a damn thing.

7. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? Nope.

8. Are you compensating for something? 4" isn't much compensation, maybe I should carry my 7.5" .44 Magnum Stainless Steel Revolver.

9. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? Nope, they only fear what they are taught to fear.

10. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? Nope.

Simple answers are usually best.

manicdevery

thank you thank you, this is the type of response I was hoping to get out of this post. I have OCing since begining 2009 and never really get any questions usually just looks, so when i do get questions(which is very rare) i am caught off guard and seconds later i always think of the smart thing i should have said.

Keep em coming

B

Bikenut

I used to try to answer these questions until someone on the forum suggested changing the discussion so the one asking the questions is put on the defensive. And a good way to do that is to answer a question with a question so if PDinDetroit will excuse my snitching his good thoughts I will use his questions but add my own answers....

1. Is it Real? Why would you think it wasn't real?

2. Why do you carry a firearm? Why don't you carry a firearm?

3. Why don't you conceal it? Why do you think I should conceal it?

4. I don't understand why you carry? Can you help me understand why you don't carry?

5. Are you going to pull that out and shoot everybody? Why do you assume someone with a gun wants to shoot everybody?

6. What are you afraid of? Why would you think someone with a gun needs to be afraid?

7. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? What makes you think someone will try that?

8. Are you compensating for something? Are you coming on to me?

9. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? Why would the children be afraid?

10. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? Why would they?

Each of those "answering a question with a question" opens up the opportunity for a conversation instead of being constantly on the defense.

Ummm.... number 8 could result in an extremely interesting response.:lol:

MarineSgt

Recently I had a gentlemen in a parking lot ask me if I was a police officer. I pleasantly replied "no, why do you ask?" I did this because I was curious as to what he was going to say. He said "because you're carrying a gun like that." I told him it was legal and gave him a pamphlet and chatted for a minute. He told me he has his CPL. It was a good conversation. I hope he starts to OC.

Haman J.T.

1st question I always get,are you a cop? No,I am just a citizen.2nd is it legal?According to the law,if you are 18 and legally own a gun you can openly carry,there are restrictions,here's some info you can look up(hand em an OC leaflet).3rd I didn't know that! I then quote Art 1 Sec. 6 and tell them I carry to protect myself and my fellow citizens and discuss further if needed.

Last edited:

DanM

1. Is it Real? Yes.

2. Why do you carry a firearm? For defense of myself and family.

3. Why don't you conceal it? As you can see, my clothing/the hot weather/going into PFZs (then explain how CC is illegal in PFZs) makes that not an option.

4. I don't understand why you carry? What questions do you have?

5. Are you going to pull that out and shoot everybody? That would be a criminal act, and I am not a criminal.

6. What are you afraid of? The police being minutes away when seconds count.

7. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? I am always alert to respond to that possibility, but never afraid of it.

8. Are you compensating for something? Yes, police response time.

9. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? I have children, and children are curious and ask questions. They take their cues to be fearful mostly from the adults around them. So, as adults, we need to be the ones keeping proper control of our emotions.

10. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? Overwhelmingly, police officers are trained professionals who are aware that there are concealed and open carriers in their community, and have proper guidance in how to deal with that. I have no reason to believe we have a problem of unprofessional officers in this community.

ken243

1. Is it Real? Yes.

2. Why do you carry "that"? Because my 12ga is too big and bulky.

3. Don't you think that will make people afraid of you? The only people that need be afraid of me are criminals. Are you a criminal?

4. What do you think you are going to do with that? With any luck, nothing.

5. You are so paranoid you think you need to carry a gun? Are you so naive you think one doesn't?

6. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? That would be a serious health hazard. I have taken it upon myself to obtain hours of training at great expense to prevent such an event.

7. Are you compensating for something? Yes, but I bought a big truck for that. This is just for protection. (I like DanM's answer better. Might have to steal that one.)

8. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? (With my daughter) Does my daughter look afraid? (Without my daughter) Children and many ignorant adults are afraid of the unknown. Education is key.

9. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? A properly trained and educated LEO will not even stop me let alone arrest me. This is as legal as wearing a t-shirt. Again, education is key.

10. Do you think carrying a gun makes you safe? No, it makes me prepaired.

11. Do you really think you need that? I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either.

I answer condescending questions with equally ridiculous answers. (Since that seems to be what the person is fluent in. No sense in confusing them)
Real questions asked to gain information are met with real answers to provide information.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
1. Is it Real? Yes.

2. Why do you carry "that"? Because my 12ga is too big and bulky.

3. Don't you think that will make people afraid of you? The only people that need be afraid of me are criminals. Are you a criminal?

4. What do you think you are going to do with that? With any luck, nothing.

5. You are so paranoid you think you need to carry a gun? Are you so naive you think one doesn't?

6. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? That would be a serious health hazard. I have taken it upon myself to obtain hours of training at great expense to prevent such an event.

7. Are you compensating for something? Yes, but I bought a big truck for that. This is just for protection. (I like DanM's answer better. Might have to steal that one.)

8. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? (With my daughter) Does my daughter look afraid? (Without my daughter) Children and many ignorant adults are afraid of the unknown. Education is key.

9. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? A properly trained and educated LEO will not even stop me let alone arrest me. This is as legal as wearing a t-shirt. Again, education is key.

10. Do you think carrying a gun makes you safe? No, it makes me prepaired.

11. Do you really think you need that? I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either.

I answer condescending questions with equally ridiculous answers. (Since that seems to be what the person is fluent in. No sense in confusing them)
Real questions asked to gain information are met with real answers to provide information.

I like your #7 response; I think I'll use that one some time :) I've never been asked, rather I was told, that I was "showing". Just said "Thanks, but that is what I was going for". Their response, "Oh...ah, OK." Me: "Thanks again"

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
Well, if I really thought you wanted to talk to me about this, I would be happy to, but all you want to do is argue with me about it, so I'm really not going to bother. True story, although the words may have been a little different.

PDinDetroit

I guess I started something with this 1-10 numbering, probably should have done it like the David Letterman Show does. :lol:

My answers really will depend upon the situation. If the person is really closed off or being a jerk, I answer the "short sweet way". This has only happened 2 times, one was in Meijers with some lady which was my #2 above. The other time was with Royal Oak City Commissioner Terry Drinkwine where he exclaimed "we sure are all impressed with your firearm" to which I replied "Thank you". I guess I should have included that one, it was pretty good...

Most people are genuinely interested and since I look pretty harmless, people ask questions and engage me in discussion.

manicdevery

much kudo's to all the educated/funny and usefull responses. and thanks for keeping this all on topic and not start bashing eachother.....not mentioning any names......BRONSON/EASTMEYERS, LOL.

I deffinatly got what I was hoping to off this post, keep them coming if anything else rings a bell.

and thanks to pindetroit for the 1-10 that kept it going.

Devery

eastmeyers

much kudo's to all the educated/funny and useful responses. and thanks for keeping this all on topic and not start bashing eachother.....not mentioning any names......BRONSON/EASTMEYERS, LOL.

I defiantly got what I was hoping to off this post, keep them coming if anything else rings a bell.

and thanks to pindetroit for the 1-10 that kept it going.

Devery

I thought being mistaken for Ted Nugent was a compliment. :p

Guess not. Well I guess I will goto the corner and try and keep a penny held to the wall with my nose now. :cry:

1. Is it Real? Yes, be kinda silly if it wasn't

2. Why do you carry "that"? The doctor said carrying the cop was getting to heavy for me.

3. Don't you think that will make people afraid of you? Hasn't yet, and I've been doing it for years.

4. What do you think you are going to do with that? Hopefully nothing, but if need be, save my life, if need be saved my loved ones lives, and if need be save your life.

5. You are so paranoid you think you need to carry a gun? You know, if those pesky criminals would just post on FB their plans ahead of time every time they plan to do something violent, I wouldn't even bother.

6. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? No not really, the only time that has ever happened to me is when I was in uniform, it seems uniforms attract the gun grabbers, not guns, I've never herd of one legitimate case of someone trying that on Open Carrier. Either way I am trained, and knowing your surroundings is always key, for everyone, even if you are not carrying a firearm.

7. Are you compensating for something? I'm not sure, you will have to ask my girlfriend, she is right here (if she isn't their offer to call her, LOL)

8. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? No, children are not afraid of inanimate objects, children are afraid of people, or what their parents make them afraid of. Some adults are afraid of inanimate objects but that comes from years of ignorance and media influence.

9. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? Nope, they know its legal, we are all on the same side, and carry for the same reason, to make sure we get home safe

10. Do you think carrying a gun makes you safe? No, it makes me prepared.

11. Do you really think you need that? Well as long as evil still exists in the world, why would I not use the the tools God has provided for me to use to defend myself against said evil?

Last edited:

TheQ

Are you planning to shoot someone? Do you think you'll be needing it?

If I thought I'd need it, I would have brought my bore snake/cleaning push rod.

Deleted_User

An out of stater's answers

1. Is it Real? A fake one wouldn't do much good.

2. Why do you carry a firearm? Because I can't fit a cop in my holster.

3. Why don't you conceal it? I have nothing to hide

4. I don't understand why you carry? I'll give you three reasons. Meet my wife and 2 young children

5. Are you going to pull that out and shoot everybody? I pray it never has to leave its holster.

6. What are you afraid of? I'm not paranoid, I have the gun.

7. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? My retention system works well. It's not the one they see they have to worry about.

8. Are you compensating for something? Yes, I don't have my rifle so this will have to do for now.

9. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? Feel free to ask mine their thoughts on Daddy carrying.

10. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? Only if I draw for no reason. Police are aware of the legality of Open Carry. Here's a pamphlet to explain the laws in (my) area and I'll answer any questions you have.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
1. Is it Real? A fake one wouldn't do much good.

2. Why do you carry a firearm? Because I can't fit a cop in my holster.

3. Why don't you conceal it? I have nothing to hide

4. I don't understand why you carry? I'll give you three reasons. Meet my wife and 2 young children

5. Are you going to pull that out and shoot everybody? I pray it never has to leave its holster.

6. What are you afraid of? I'm not paranoid, I have the gun.

7. Aren't you afraid someone will try to take it? My retention system works well. It's not the one they see they have to worry about.

8. Are you compensating for something? Yes, I don't have my rifle so this will have to do for now.

9. Aren't you worried the children will be afraid? Feel free to ask mine their thoughts on Daddy carrying.

10. Won't the police arrest or shoot you? Only if I draw for no reason. Police are aware of the legality of Open Carry. Here's a pamphlet to explain the laws in (my) area and I'll answer any questions you have.

Good answers, I especially like...