Thread: Permit to carry exposed

Permit to carry exposed

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this whole open carry in california and i am looking forward to doing this soon. but right now all im trying to do inform myself with all the helpful information i can gather from all you smart and law abiding citizens.

so here i go with another noobie question.. i once worked for a security company and I aplied and got my permit to carry exposed. I was just wondering if by me having that permit i could only carry if i was employed by a security company? i no longer work in security and i own a restaurant ...... hope to join you all at one of your local gatherings soon

Welcome! No permit is required to open carry in california. Read up on this and it should answer most of your questions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry-Information

Looking forward to sharing some of our experiences with you.
    Last edited by Joshua Costa; 02-19-2011 at 04:22 PM.
    "I do not love the sword for its gleam, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I love only what they protect."
    J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinV View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I am new to this whole open carry in california and i am looking forward to doing this soon. but right now all im trying to do inform myself with all the helpful information i can gather from all you smart and law abiding citizens.

so here i go with another noobie question.. i once worked for a security company and I aplied and got my permit to carry exposed. I was just wondering if by me having that permit i could only carry if i was employed by a security company? i no longer work in security and i own a restaurant ...... hope to join you all at one of your local gatherings soon
    This permit you are talking about is issued by the California Department of Consumer Affairs. This is only valid if you are a uniformed security guard carrying in the course of your duties as an armed security guard. It is not applicable in most circumstances that we discuss here.

As a business owner, you are allowed to carry a firearm inside your place of business. Outside is a different matter yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Costa View Post
    Welcome! No permit is required to open carry in california. Read up on this and it should answer most of your questions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ry-Information

Looking forward to sharing some of our experiences with you.
    Bolded is not entirely accurate. If you want to carry a loaded firearm in incorporated areas or unicorporated territory where discharge is prohibited you would need a license to carry in either the concealed or loaded and exposed formats. A permit to open carry either an unloaded firearm or a loaded firearm in unincorporated territory where discharge is not prohibited is not required.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW

Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

You can carry open or concealed in your place of business, just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinV View Post
    Hello everyone,

Welcome! I also thought that you had to have a permit to carry exposed. Since you need one when you're a guard i thought that applied to Citizens. DOJ/BSIS requires all armed guards to carry an Exposed Firearms Permit so if someone does get injured due to firing your weapon, citizens sue then you're somewhat protected by the laws because you've been trained properly for Work to carry a weapon. You can still be sued even if you have your Firearms Permit but i guess its just a way to protect the security company that they didnt just hire some guy with a handgun that says he already had a background check done. Point being, as a Citizen you don't need a Exposed Firearm Permit for "Unloaded Open Carry - UOC"

Now my question, him carrying his weapon. Say his business is nearby (under 1000 feet) a school would he be violating P.C. 626?

Quote Originally Posted by Syst3m Ov3rrid3 View Post
    Welcome! I also thought that you had to have a permit to carry exposed.
    See post #3 by ConditionThree above.

Quote Originally Posted by mjones View Post
    See post #3 by ConditionThree above.
    Past Tense, thought. This forum cleared everything up for me.
    Last edited by Syst3m Ov3rrid3; 02-20-2011 at 12:58 PM.