• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit to carry exposed

EdwinV

Hello everyone,
I am new to this whole open carry in california and i am looking forward to doing this soon. but right now all im trying to do inform myself with all the helpful information i can gather from all you smart and law abiding citizens.

so here i go with another noobie question.. i once worked for a security company and I aplied and got my permit to carry exposed. I was just wondering if by me having that permit i could only carry if i was employed by a security company? i no longer work in security and i own a restaurant ...... hope to join you all at one of your local gatherings soon

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Hello everyone,
I am new to this whole open carry in california and i am looking forward to doing this soon. but right now all im trying to do inform myself with all the helpful information i can gather from all you smart and law abiding citizens.

so here i go with another noobie question.. i once worked for a security company and I aplied and got my permit to carry exposed. I was just wondering if by me having that permit i could only carry if i was employed by a security company? i no longer work in security and i own a restaurant ...... hope to join you all at one of your local gatherings soon

This permit you are talking about is issued by the California Department of Consumer Affairs. This is only valid if you are a uniformed security guard carrying in the course of your duties as an armed security guard. It is not applicable in most circumstances that we discuss here.

As a business owner, you are allowed to carry a firearm inside your place of business. Outside is a different matter yet again.

Welcome! No permit is required to open carry in california. Read up on this and it should answer most of your questions.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-This-First-California-Open-Carry-Information

Looking forward to sharing some of our experiences with you.

Bolded is not entirely accurate. If you want to carry a loaded firearm in incorporated areas or unicorporated territory where discharge is prohibited you would need a license to carry in either the concealed or loaded and exposed formats. A permit to open carry either an unloaded firearm or a loaded firearm in unincorporated territory where discharge is not prohibited is not required.

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

Hello everyone,

Welcome! I also thought that you had to have a permit to carry exposed. Since you need one when you're a guard i thought that applied to Citizens. DOJ/BSIS requires all armed guards to carry an Exposed Firearms Permit so if someone does get injured due to firing your weapon, citizens sue then you're somewhat protected by the laws because you've been trained properly for Work to carry a weapon. You can still be sued even if you have your Firearms Permit but i guess its just a way to protect the security company that they didnt just hire some guy with a handgun that says he already had a background check done. Point being, as a Citizen you don't need a Exposed Firearm Permit for "Unloaded Open Carry - UOC"

Now my question, him carrying his weapon. Say his business is nearby (under 1000 feet) a school would he be violating P.C. 626?