Thread: Would-be robbers end up losing money as stickup goes wrong

Would-be robbers end up losing money as stickup goes wrong

Two men Thursday used an unloaded revolver to try to rob a Northland gun store, even though the clerk wore a shoulder holster with a semiautomatic handgun in plain view.

Not surprisingly, the holdup failed miserably. In fact, the robbers lost $40.
    http://www.kansascity.com/2011/02/18...up-losing.html

$50.00 for a box of .357? Who was trying to rob who? lol

It takes real brains to rob a gun store, with an unloaded gun, no less. He was lucky to get away alive. Of course, no one has said that criminals are particularly intelligent........
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    It takes real brains to rob a gun store, with an unloaded gun, no less. He was lucky to get away alive. Of course, no one has said that criminals are particularly intelligent........
    Ruby is batting 1000 posts!!

the clerk should have shot the robber in justified self defense!

now he gets to go and try to rob others!
    maybe he will get some ammo, so he can kill someone in the process!

and more, the clerk admits to brandishing, knowing he was facing an unloaded gun!
    in fact, the clerk failed to carry out his civic duty, to get that thug, and that gun, off the street!
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 02-20-2011 at 03:48 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Ruby is batting 1000 posts!!

the clerk should have shot the robber in justified self defense!

now he gets to go and try to rob others!
    maybe he will get some ammo, so he can kill someone in the process!

and more, the clerk admits to brandishing, knowing he was facing an unloaded gun!
    in fact, the clerk failed to carry out his civic duty, to get that thug, and that gun, off the street!
    This unloaded or not if your dumb enough to point a gun at me you are getting shot. Your not always going to know if their weapon is unloaded or not.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by zack991 View Post
    This unloaded or not if your dumb enough to point a gun at me you are getting shot. Your not always going to know if their weapon is unloaded or not.
    thats the beauty of the story! knowing the gun was unloaded is the reason it would be safe to draw and shoot

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    If it came out that the clerk had noticed the gun was unloaded, would it still be justified self defense?

"It was right after I noticed that his gun was not loaded that I drew my gun and shot him...."

I'm not taking any position whether or not he should have shot him AFTER that, just wondering. I probably would not have had the coolness of mind to notice the gun being unloaded, myself.
    it would be important to keep you mouth shut! never tell anyone! that you knew you were facing an unarmed man!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

The store clerk has no claim to the money the robbers left behind, and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how the cops figure the money qualifies as evidence of any crime. In fact, the law probably says they should be handling it as lost property and wait for the guys to come in and file a claim to recover it.

If the clerk saw the handgun was not loaded before he drew is own handgun then he committed not only brandishing but also aggrivated assault with a deadly weapon. The strange thing is that in many jurisdictions if he had not positively determined that the robber's handgun was unloaded and shot the guy he probably would be covered by the laws on justified/excusable homicide.

You don't need to be an attorney, or even a lawyer, to understand the basics of how the criminal laws work for or against you. Once you get the cops involved in dealing with what happened you stand a good chance of needing an attorney, especially if you had an understanding of the law and acted inappropriately and made a public statement about it all.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    The store clerk has no claim to the money the robbers left behind, and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how the cops figure the money qualifies as evidence of any crime. In fact, the law probably says they should be handling it as lost property and wait for the guys to come in and file a claim to recover it.

If the clerk saw the handgun was not loaded before he drew is own handgun then he committed not only brandishing but also aggrivated assault with a deadly weapon. The strange thing is that in many jurisdictions if he had not positively determined that the robber's handgun was unloaded and shot the guy he probably would be covered by the laws on justified/excusable homicide.

You don't need to be an attorney, or even a lawyer, to understand the basics of how the criminal laws work for or against you. Once you get the cops involved in dealing with what happened you stand a good chance of needing an attorney, especially if you had an understanding of the law and acted inappropriately and made a public statement about it all.

stay safe.
    Robber was still committing a felony, correct? How does KS law sit on use of force to thwart a felony?

The money left is evidence that supports the story of the shop owner. If unclaimed, he was the one who discovered the money there, thus he should be able to claim it if the owners do not.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

If the clerk saw the handgun was not loaded before he drew is own handgun then he committed not only brandishing but also aggrivated assault with a deadly weapon.
    Even if you can see that most of the chambers are empty, would you be willing to bet your life that the BG didn't have a single shot left for the pipe?
    Last edited by UglyGun; 02-20-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Banned
    The store clerk has no claim to the money the robbers left behind, and I am still scratching my head trying to figure out how the cops figure the money qualifies as evidence of any crime...
    It might have contained the fingerprints of one of the BGs.

I would have advertised the existence of the two twenties and offered to return them to their rightful owners, the idiot would-be robbers. When they came to claim the money, I would give them $40 (different twenties) and three hots and a cot while they awaited trial. These guys are just stupid enough to take the bait!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyGun View Post
    Even if you can see that most of the chambers are empty, would you be willing to bet your life that the BG didn't have a single shot left for the pipe?
    I haven't fired a revolver in years, but my experience is that you can see the next two chambers in sequence. The ones hidden, bottom and top, represent the third and sixth trigger-pulls, respectively. If it will take three DA trigger-pulls to get to the next possible loaded chamber, I have time to draw my OCed firearm and decide whether to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by eye95 View Post
    I haven't fired a revolver in years, but my experience is that you can see the next two chambers in sequence. The ones hidden, bottom and top, represent the third and sixth trigger-pulls, respectively. If it will take three DA trigger-pulls to get to the next possible loaded chamber, I have time to draw my OCed firearm and decide whether to shoot.
    It would depend on if the gun was cocked or not. If cocked, there could be one ready for the hammer. If not cocked, even with one was behind the hammer, when he pulled the trigger, the cylinder would have rotated the round away from the hammer. At least that's how it works on my 45 Colt - just looked.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" do *they* not understand?

the partner could have been carrying CC,i would have drawn as well just in case.

you are retarded if you go with an unloaded gun to rob a gun store,where the clerk is OC'ing,even moreso when you give him money(fingerprints on the cash) and time for the clerk to get a better description and cameras to get more footage...
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

no no...i consider mentally challenged to be an actual medical disability.

being retarded,in my eyes, is being of seemingly sound mind(no diagnosed mental disabilities) and doing completely stupid, often life altering things.
    not a lawyer, dont take anything i say as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by lil_freak_66 View Post
    no no...i consider mentally challenged to be an actual medical disability.

being retarded,in my eyes, is being of seemingly sound mind(no diagnosed mental disabilities) and doing completely stupid, often life altering things.
    Reminds me of this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1zeekn3zUc
    It's not the word, it's the context in which the word is said!

Yeah, I see how families which such an individual would be sensitive to that word, but sometimes it's the only word capable of driving the point home.