• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Full Flap Holsters

1929SUPER

I'd like to be able to carry openly in remote areas with a full flap holster, for gun protection reasons. I suppose technically, that could be interpreted as being concealed, but a holster obviously isn't a cell phone holder. Does anyone have experience with this. I really like the El Paso Saddlery full flaps.

I live in Texas, but have family in Placitas and also outside of Santa Fe, and would like to some back country hiking when visiting. I realize this may sound like I'm more concerned with protecting the gun than myself, but that's not really the case.

eye95

I'd like to be able to carry openly in remote areas with a full flap holster, for gun protection reasons. I suppose technically, that could be interpreted as being concealed, but a holster obviously isn't a cell phone holder. Does anyone have experience with this. I really like the El Paso Saddlery full flaps.

I live in Texas, but have family in Placitas and also outside of Santa Fe, and would like to some back country hiking when visiting. I realize this may sound like I'm more concerned with protecting the gun than myself, but that's not really the case.

Texas does not allow open carry. Someone could easily recognize that you are carrying a gun, even if it is fully covered by a holster. You could well find yourself in court, with an argument successfully made that you were open carrying.

I wouldn't risk it. I would recommend covering the firearm in a way that no one can tell that you are carrying. IANAL.

Sonora Rebel

Geography not one of your strong points Eye? He's takin' 'bout New Mexico... NM is open carry... just look out for the liquor stores 'n truck stops that sell booze. I use flapped holsters when in the saddle.

Attachments

• 2 14 2011  Sonora Desert 001.jpg
    2 14 2011 Sonora Desert 001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 188