Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OC stories Good/Bad

Regular Member protect our rights's Avatar

OC stories Good/Bad

Share some of your stories of encounters worth mentioning with your fellow hoosiers.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Have had no trouble. I get some looks but no one has said anything. Been doing it for about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by hogeater f6 View Post
    Have had no trouble. I get some looks but no one has said anything. Been doing it for about a year.
    Yeah, Perdy much the same here. I have yet to have a bad encounter with LE. Lets hope it stays that way!
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence ... From the hour the Pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to insure peace, security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable . . . The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that is good" - George Washington

Went to a wal-mart in Kendallville, In. Manager asked me to cover up my XDm. I politely declined, and said I would be more than happy to take my money else where and contact his supervisors on their policy for OC. He was very polite after that saying that it was "no biggie", "just didn't want to scare the other shoppers." I thanked him for caring and continued on with my day. Really the only negative encounter I have had with someone since adopting the OC way about a year ago. NE Indiana seems to be very understanding on the subject.
    Last edited by protect our rights; 03-06-2011 at 10:14 AM.

good deal. Open carried all day sat and no probs in Huntington.

Hebron

OC'd at Country Kitchen,,, No butterscotch pie and the waiter was really apologetic.
    Was coming back from range.
    In the case of HD it's better to have than to save for it.

Was told by Wal-Mart employs to either cover-u my firearm or leave. I politely reminded them of their corporate policy, That they basically allow w/e the state in which the walmart is located allows. They said that it wasn't even legal to OC in Indiana that they had "Consulted with local PD on the matter." I told them that would go ahead and leave and contact their corporate about what had happened. This seemed to make them nervous a little. I think I can understand seeings how they didn't even know their policy and were in essence going against it.

Next day I email Corporate on the matter. I got the same response, but this tim I forwarded it to the manager at the Auburn Wal-Mart location. I then wen there the next day (Not carrying my firearm) Talked to the manager and he then confirmed that their policy was to allow OC.

Needless to say next time I came into the tore the employs that had basically kicked me out were not too happy, which is unfortunate. I feel that they are lost to the OC cause. Better to have the business on our side then these two individuals I guess.

Auburn and Kendallville walmart locations have openly said that OC is fine. So at least at these two locations you shouldn't have any problem as I made it my mission to show them their own policy and to stop the bashing of local OCing individuals.

Good job on Walmart and follow up. Any chance you have a printed letter from corporate you could make into a pdf? Anyone? It would be nice here if people could get letters from various stores in which there have been problems, enabling people to pull out the letter and avoid a lengthy tete-a-tete with un-informed local admins of the store.

One also wonders just what people are thinking when someone is following approved policy and get all frowny-faced over OC. These are probably the same people who would run to hide behind the OC-er if a REAL bad guy came into the store.

I think people cogitate like this:

"I don't like guns..." <brain shuts down, mouth turns down, fists clench, ready to fight/flight>

Who, I must ask is the person one should fear?

"I'd like to punch you out for carrying guns. It's too violent" lol

Quote Originally Posted by Badger Johnson View Post
    Good job on Walmart and follow up. Any chance you have a printed letter from corporate you could make into a pdf? Anyone? It would be nice here if people could get letters from various stores in which there have been problems, enabling people to pull out the letter and avoid a lengthy tete-a-tete with un-informed local admins of the store.

One also wonders just what people are thinking when someone is following approved policy and get all frowny-faced over OC. These are probably the same people who would run to hide behind the OC-er if a REAL bad guy came into the store.

I think people cogitate like this:

"I don't like guns..." <brain shuts down, mouth turns down, fists clench, ready to fight/flight>

Who, I must ask is the person one should fear?

"I'd like to punch you out for carrying guns. It's too violent" lol
    No I do not actually. I have seen where others on this forum have posted their replies they got from stores headquarters though, just have to find the thread. Like I always say (Also a very simple way to put it) "If your going to fear guns no matter what, at least don't fear the ones you can see." "A criminal will most generally not let you see they are armed."

I had no issues in Greensburg when I was there last year.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

No probs at wal mart in Huntington or at Jefferson Pointe.

OC in Bob Evans in Columbia City and Lowes in goshen sat with no problems.

OC in Bob Evans in Columbia City and Lowes in goshen sat with no problems.
    Is there anywhere around your area that people should be worried about when OCing?

Not in Huntington. I never worry about it here. I got some looks and whispers in line but never confronted. Cause of my job I know most of the cops here so I guess that makes me comfortable.

South Bend/Mishawaka all the time. No real issues.

One night a security at martins on Western told me I couldn't open carry there because of store policy. I told the manager that would be fine, and I wouldn't be shopping there either. None of the other grocery stores, incl the kroger across the street have told me not to OC.

verizon by walmart on Ireland told me I had to cover my gun, too.

Me and the ol lady was oc at Wal-mart 2 weeks ago. Well hers was laying in her purse, unzipped. Had jeans and a long sleeve shirt with our EMS logo on it. Greeter looked at me funny when we walked in. He was a manager type looking guy. Did some shopping and got some paint. Paint lady noticed our guns but didnt seem to care. We talked for a bit then the greeter dude came up to the paint counter. We were done so we headed down the big tub/ container isle to look at shipping containers. It was directly infront of the paint dept. I just happened to turn around and see a uniform city cop 10' behind me. He quickly turned around and looked at some random item on the self. I turned back to the containers and when I looked around again. he was gone. Never did see him in the store again. Not sure if wal mart called him or if it was a coincidence. It was mid shift for him so not sure what he was doing. I'm surprised he didnt question me since he is known to be 'not so nice'. Maybe since I had my shirt and radio on he realized who I was and didnt care.

Only thing that has happened to me in a year since 1st OC.

Was at the Ft Watne Mayor ride a week ago and saw a guy open carring. He was standing in line watching the bikes line up. No badge on his belt, which I expected to see since LEO's are walking around normally. Thought it was cool. Never seen another OC'er other then my ol lady.

Still OCing around South Bend.

Last week @ chic-fil-a on ireland & Michigan. saw no less than 5 SBPD, at least 4 of whom I am sure observed my handgun.
    Today, lowes (right beside chic-fil-a) and dollar tree (@ ireland & miami).

Still no trouble around here.

Got pulled over for speed sunday on the bike. Did make it to the driveway tho. lol He said he needed my lic and reg. Told him I was armed and he said I can see that. 90% of it was sticking out from the bottom of my vest. Gave my DL and told him the ol lady would have to step off so I can get into my saddle bag. He said that was fine. She said I am also armed. She said the look the trooper gave was priceless. It was a christ you gotta be kidding me look! lol She was already open carring. She steps off and hands him her DL & LTCH. He looks and gives it back right away. Never did ask for mine. 70 in a 55. Got a written warning. Its good to know people!

Got pulled over for speed sunday on the bike. Did make it to the driveway tho. lol He said he needed my lic and reg. Told him I was armed and he said I can see that. 90% of it was sticking out from the bottom of my vest. Gave my DL and told him the ol lady would have to step off so I can get into my saddle bag. He said that was fine. She said I am also armed. She said the look the trooper gave was priceless. It was a christ you gotta be kidding me look! lol She was already open carring. She steps off and hands him her DL & LTCH. He looks and gives it back right away. Never did ask for mine. 70 in a 55. Got a written warning. Its good to know people!
    Only 15 over? You are barely driving IN speed.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Only 15 over? You are barely driving IN speed.
    2 years ago it was 84 in a 55. My speedo said 88. Just was told to have a nice day.

Bad OC Experience at Marshall County Fair

I had this posted on another forum, and thought it would be good to post here too.

My family and I went to the Marshall County 4-H fair tonight (July 14, 2011), and I was OC as usual. I was walking around the fairgrounds with my family, looking at the exhibits, and animals. We even ate some fair food. As we were walking through the swine barn, I noticed an officer enter to the rear of the building. I also noticed him make his way toward me and my family as we were walking through the barn. As we were about to leave, the officer approached me and the conversation is as follows:

LEO: Sir, may I speak to you over here for a minute?
    ME: OK
    LEO: Are with an agency?
    ME: No sir, I am not.
    LEO: Do you have any identification on you?
    ME: Yes I do.
    LEO: Get it out please.
    *NOTE - I did not make any movements until I was instructed to do so.
    LEO: (takes ID) What are you doing?
    ME: Pardon?
    LEO: Why are you walking around with a gun?
    ME: Because I canít carry a cop on my back.
    LEO: Because you canít carry what?
    ME: Because I canít carry a cop on my back.
    LEO: Iím getting calls from all over this fairgrounds about you. People are scared. Do you know what that is called?
    ME: (Silent stare)
    LEO: Thatís called INTIMIDATION.
    ME: No sir, thatís called me exercising my rights.
    LEO: Get out your permit, because I know you have one.
    ME: (hands over LICENSE)
    LEO: You should know better than walk around here with a concealed carry permit, and your gun isnít even concealed.
    ME: Actually, sir it is a License to Carry, and it says nothing about carrying concealed.
    LEO: You are supposed to have it concealed. Carrying like that is just pure stupidity.
    ME: Show me where it says on my license anything about concealedÖ
    LEO: Well people are getting upset. You know I can take this away from you? (holds up license)
    ME: NOW whoís the one intimidating???
    LEO: Well, I can have your permit taken away from you.
    ME: For what exactly?
    LEO: For carrying improperly.
    ME: Iím not carrying improperly. I am well within my rights whether you or anyone else likes it or not.
    LEO: Do you know what this place is?
    ME: Itís the fairgrounds.
    LEO: Is this private property or not?
    ME: Well that depends.
    LEO: Just answer the question. Is this private property or public? Itís a YES or NO question.
    ME: Well, It is run by the Fair Board. Is the Fair Board a political subdivision?
    LEO: Youíre not going to answer the question are you?
    ME: If the fair board is a political subdivision and gets its funding from public monies, then it is not private property.
    LEO: No, this is private property. Do you know why thatís not allowed?
    ME: I know that private property owners can set their own rules. And they can ask anyone to leave for any reason they see fit.
    LEO: Well nobody wants guns here.
    ME: Ask me to leave and I will gladly leave.
    LEO: Itís just pure stupidity to be walking around like that.
    LEO: Stay here for a minute.
    *He goes about 30 feet away, and calls in my license. He then comes back.
    LEO: You know this is private property right?
    LEO: (blank stare)
    ME: Are you asking me to leave?
    LEO: Iím asking you to leave.
    ME: OK. Kids, lets go.
    LEO: We have this same problem at the Blueberry Festival. People donít know that itís private property.
    ME: Officer, do you have a card?
    LEO: NO
    ME: What is your name?
    LEO: Officer Heckman.
    ME: You mean Reserve Sheriffs Deputy Heckman. Can I borrow your pen to write that down?
    LEO: No you canít.
    *He then follows us to our car, as my 5 year old is crying his eyes out, and says to me ďDaddy, why did that cop make us leave?Ē I replied loud enough that the officer could hear ďBecause he is an elitist and thinks that only cops should carry guns.Ē

My kids are devastated, I am madder than a hornet, and my wife canít believe what she just witnessed. I plan on calling the Marshall County Sheriffs Dept. to file a formal complaint. Before that time, I need to investigate the Fair Board and find out if they are in fact a political subdivision. If they are in fact a political subdivision, then I plan on informing the Sheriffs Dept. that I have the legal right to sue. We will see what happensÖ

****UPDATE****

I went to the Sheriffs Department today (July 15, 2011)to file a formal complaint. The receptionist and the deputies were very professional and courteous. I spoke with Chief Detective Ron Babcock and provided him a type written copy of the dialogue. As he was reading the transcript, he was muttering in a low tone "That's completely wrong", "He is incorrect", and "That's ridiculous". Once he was finished reading, he stated to me "Indiana does not have a 'concealed carry permit'. It's a License to Carry." I was pleased to see that he understood where the conflict originated. I told Det. Babcock that I was not there to try to get the Reserve Officer fired, but a serious education was in order. I also gave him a type written copy of my formal complaint:

1. The Reserve Officer was either ignorant of the law, or he willfully chose to assert his personal opinion as fact. He claimed that Indiana has a ďConcealed Carry Permit.Ē He also indicated that to carry in any other manner was ďpure stupidity.Ē How can a Law Enforcement Officer enforce the law, if he does not know the law himself?

2. The Reserve Officer threatened to have my License To Carry Handgun taken from me simply because he may have gotten complaints about the fact that I was carrying. This is nothing short of intimidation in an attempt to have me 'tuck my tail between my legs' and cower to his authority. The officer obviously has a personal problem with openly carried handguns, and attempted to use his position to force me to submit to his views.

3. The Marshall County 4-H Fairgrounds has no signage forbidding firearms from being carried on the premises, nor is it posted on their website. If the fair has a rule about carrying firearms, they need to make the public aware of that rule. I had no way of knowing that my legally carried firearm was not wanted on the property. However, the officer treated me as a child, as though I should be aware of this fact, accusing me of improper carrying, intimidation, and bringing a firearm where it was not wanted.

4. Was the Reserve Officer instructed by the Fair Board or other representative that he should eject me from the property? Was he acting entirely on the complaint of another patron of the fair? If he asked me to leave simply because another patron complained to him, then he was overstepping his authority. Can any patron have another patron removed from private property simply by complaining? This was a decision that should have been made by a representative of the 4-H fair, and not left to the personal opinion of a Reserve Officer.
    I told him that had the officer simply come to me and inform me that I was on private property and asked me to leave, there would be no problem. Det. Babcock then stated "Well, I'm not entirely sure that it is in fact private property." I then commented, "Then you are aware with the new law that went into effect on July 1 what the ramifications of his actions are?" He responded "Yes, I am."
    He ended with saying "I'm sure he got complaints about your gun, and he probably thought 'I'll take care of this.' When he saw you he probably though that you were a young guy (I am 33) and that you probably didn't know the law and he was going to flex his authority." He assured me that he would be going straight to the Sheriff after our meeting and that "this will be handled right away"

I told him that my intention is not to get the officer fired, but if an officer is going to enforce the law, he needs to know the law himself. I told him that some serious education is in order and he fully agreed. I sat there for the next 5 minutes chatting with Det. Babcock, and we parted on good terms. He took my number and assured me that he would give me a follow up call. I have a feeling that Officer Heckman is going to get a royal butt-chewing. Whether or not I decide to pursue legal action will depend on the nature of the follow up call.

How's that for a first post?

Well done. I look forward to hear what happens.

Well done, Hoosierdood.

If you have an open carry picnic there, I will attend with my family. I'm not far from Plymouth.

One of the things that I found interesting was that he asked you "Is this private or public property?", and then wanted a "yes" or "no" answer to the question.

You could've easily have said. "Sir the manner in which you have just asked that question and the manner in which you want it answered completely contradict each other. Would you like to try to ask that question and request an answer that is more sensible?"

Then again, based on his mentality, I think his response would've been, "huh?"....

Keep us informed...
    Murphy
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Go back to sleep....Your Government will take care of you...."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast