• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Report: Who's crapping now?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
No, no, br, stogie, jeep; I didn't go anywhere. Don't wig. I stayed at home like I was told, massa.

I OC around the house all the time. Today, I was on the porch having my Roomie clipper my noggin when we both observed a pickup with 3 people driving down our dead-end street very slowly.

After about 20 minutes, they pulled into our driveway. Chipper young country girl hops out and asks if I know where an address is that she is looking for. I note that the number is about 25 blocks away, and due to the street design, it could not possibly exist.

I whip out the ol' 'Driod and fire up Google Maps to help her decipher probable addresses/locations. Took about 10 minutes but I found the bizarre rural anomaly she was likely searching for.

She didn't run away screaming, no one in the truck flipped out. No MWAG calls made, apparently, cuz the cops never came by. I know it was seen as full size 1911 weighs almost as much as I do. I don't have the 'going unnoticed' thing happening. No wide eyes, no OMG. Nothing. Yay!

I regret not getting her number, she was kinda cute, but I was thinking about what I was going to say, and not say, when she inevitably brought up the 1911. But it never happened.

It's not the same as a trip to Wal Mart, but this is the only unplanned OC encounter with the public in FL thus far documented here.

No one is more shocked than I am that I'm still alive to post about it. :p

Last edited:

~*'Phoenix'*~

Good times, then. Glad it went so well. Had a CC road trip the other day, some guy in a pickup backed into my car in a McDonald's parking lot, so we had to park and chat for a few seconds. "Oh crap," I think, "He's gonna see the bulge on my belt and think I'm gonna shoot him over it." No real damage, just shake hands and say no big deal and go on our way. I'm still half-paranoid about CCing/chance of flashing/printing, which is why I'm so in favor of SB234 passing, though I want further rights advanced ASAP. Neither he or anyone at McD's notices my carry of course, nor does anyone at walgreens, publix, or the gas station, so I'm finally starting to feel a little better about it. Still haven't tried at the highway rest stops (even though they're the places I'd be most concerned with, but it was 2pm and crowded), just because I'm not sure if there's a way they could be considered government property by being on the highway and just privately contract for franchises to do business there. Do you know about this issue?

Gunslinger

No, no, br, stogie, jeep; I didn't go anywhere. Don't wig. I stayed at home like I was told, massa.

I OC around the house all the time. Today, I was on the porch having my Roomie clipper my noggin when we both observed a pickup with 3 people driving down our dead-end street very slowly.

After about 20 minutes, they pulled into our driveway. Chipper young country girl hops out and asks if I know where an address is that she is looking for. I note that the number is about 25 blocks away, and due to the street design, it could not possibly exist.

I whip out the ol' 'Driod and fire up Google Maps to help her decipher probable addresses/locations. Took about 10 minutes but I found the bizarre rural anomaly she was likely searching for.

She didn't run away screaming, no one in the truck flipped out. No MWAG calls made, apparently, cuz the cops never came by. I know it was seen as full size 1911 weighs almost as much as I do. I don't have the 'going unnoticed' thing happening. No wide eyes, no OMG. Nothing. Yay!

I regret not getting her number, she was kinda cute, but I was thinking about what I was going to say, and not say, when she inevitably brought up the 1911. But it never happened.

It's not the same as a trip to Wal Mart, but this is the only unplanned OC encounter with the public in FL thus far documented here.

No one is more shocked than I am that I'm still alive to post about it. :p

Why would you expect a problem when you're on your own property? That's not OC, it's you with a legally owned gun on your front porch in a freee state.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Why would you expect a problem when you're on your own property? That's not OC, it's you with a legally owned gun on your front porch in a freee state.

No, it's not a Free State. You should do more research about FL Carry Laws. So far, the only documented contact of an OCer with the Public, has been in planed and publicized events in limited areas and circumstances; as required by our very-not-free laws.

On my porch is the only place I can OC; without getting cozy with the cops and making a big planned-out to-do over it. this makes the 'results' of OC very biased, and frankly, useless in measuring what Floridians and Florida Cops really think, or don't think, about OC.

This is the first documented-on-this-forum instance of the general public's response to OC. Like the other states that 'allow' it, there was no response. Carrying a gun where it can be seen is just not a big deal, as it should be. The obviousness of how not-a-big-deal it is, can be measured only through a random analysis with no controls on attendance, informing the local LEOs, etc...

That's as close as we get to unbiased response down here in the dangly State. I felt it worth mentioning. I know you've got it much better in Colorado, and this isn't "real" OC.

But, it's as close as we can get.

Gunslinger

No, it's not a Free State. You should do more research about FL Carry Laws. So far, the only documented contact of an OCer with the Public, has been in planed and publicized events in limited areas and circumstances; as required by our very-not-free laws.

On my porch is the only place I can OC; without getting cozy with the cops and making a big planned-out to-do over it. this makes the 'results' of OC very biased, and frankly, useless in measuring what Floridians and Florida Cops really think, or don't think, about OC.

This is the first documented-on-this-forum instance of the general public's response to OC. Like the other states that 'allow' it, there was no response. Carrying a gun where it can be seen is just not a big deal, as it should be. The obviousness of how not-a-big-deal it is, can be measured only through a random analysis with no controls on attendance, informing the local LEOs, etc...

That's as close as we get to unbiased response down here in the dangly State. I felt it worth mentioning. I know you've got it much better in Colorado, and this isn't "real" OC.

But, it's as close as we can get.

FL has to improve with respect to OC, I fully agree. But as CC is shall issue and 2A rights are replicated in the state constitution, I consider it a "free" state. You guys have a high granularity for getting OC to happen this year. I wish you the best of luck. Just as WI will pass shall issue CC this year leaving IL as an island of subjects surrounded by citizens on all sides.

McGuireV10

I thought I'd join to post about this statement. Here in the Jax area, several of my neighbors and I quite routinely OC on our property. We're in an outlying area, I guess I'd call it "semi-rural" maybe. Lots range from at least an acre up to several acres, but we're also in close proximity (e.g. across the street in many locations) from quarter-acre houses and even eighth-acre trailer lots.

Zero incidents. I don't know how many "reports" this would qualify as, but it has been routine for all the years I've lived at my present address. The pizza guy doesn't react, the endless squadrons of Jehovah's Witnesses don't react, my lawn guy ignores it, etc.

As for LEO reaction, the other day we had a suspicious vehicle in the area doing things that ultimately prompted us to call 911. The officer who came out to talk with us actually encouraged my non-CCW-licensed neighbor to carry his gun while on his property.

I do agree this isn't "real" OC, but I'm pleased to report that the entirety of the "dangly" state isn't as bad as wherever you are...

Last edited: