Thread: what to do when driving

what to do when driving

since im new to this, here goes another noob question, make it 2 sorry...

1. While im driving am I to supposed to secure my weapon in my trunk and my magazine in the glove box?

2. Has anyone ever gotten checked by the sheriffs department? just asking because it seems like they love to make up their own law's

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinV View Post

1. While im driving am I to supposed to secure my weapon in my trunk and my magazine in the glove box?

2. Has anyone ever gotten checked by the sheriffs department? just asking because it seems like they love to make up their own law's
    1. an unloaded handgun can be secured with loaded magazines together in the same container, just not inserted in the well. This container can not be the glove compartment or the center console of a truck or SUV. So a trunk is legal, a locked box, or locked bag anywhere in the cab is legal except in the GC or CC.

Yes its silly and stupid, a locked backpack on the passenger seat can contain your unloaded semiautomatic handgun and mags, but its illegal if its in your center console or glove compartment even if they have locks.

2. I have been checked by SD sheriffs several times, like all LE, reaction to your weapon carry will most likely depend on the officers personal feelings about guns, not the law.
    New to OPEN CARRY? Click here first

"Gun owners in California in 2011 are like black people in the south in 1955. If you don't understand that then your concepts of fighting for gun rights is just tilting at windmills." Gene Hoffman.

"Why do you need to carry a gun?" ...Because it not a Bill of Needs, its a Bill of Rights!!

Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    1. an unloaded handgun can be secured with loaded magazines together in the same container, just not inserted in the well. This container can not be the glove compartment or the center console of a truck or SUV. So a trunk is legal, a locked box, or locked bag anywhere in the cab is legal except in the GC or CC.

Yes its silly and stupid, a locked backpack on the passenger seat can contain your unloaded semiautomatic handgun and mags, but its illegal if its in your center console or glove compartment even if they have locks.

2. I have been checked by SD sheriffs several times, like all LE, reaction to your weapon carry will most likely depend on the officers personal feelings about guns, not the law.

Thank you very much for your quick response... i just want to make sure..
    Last edited by EdwinV; 02-20-2011 at 02:57 AM.

Thumbs up Nano Box

I bought a 'Nano Box' for my car for this reason. It will hold my 5" 1911 and its removed magazine.
    You can pitch it into the trunk if you wish. It cost about $31.
    Store proprietor told me it will hold 2, 4" 1911s.
    Such an item is necessary if you want to keep your pistol close at hand, yet have to navigate GFSZs.
    I would not leave it unattended. It looks great ('crinkle coat' paint). Two keys, padded interior.
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwinV View Post

While driving, you can continue to OC using your belted holsters. If they cannot be seen due to seat belts, center consoles, etc., they are NOT considered concealed.

Also, you can carry in a vehicle with your gun and mags in open view (on the passenger seat or dash).

Just take care not to drive through a GFZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Keagy View Post
    I bought a 'Nano Box' for my car for this reason. It will hold my 5" 1911 and its removed magazine.
    You can pitch it into the trunk if you wish. It cost about $31.
    Store proprietor told me it will hold 2, 4" 1911s.
    Such an item is necessary if you want to keep your pistol close at hand, yet have to navigate GFSZs.
    I would not leave it unattended. It looks great ('crinkle coat' paint). Two keys, padded interior.
    Very nice.
    A co-worker uses a kid's lunch box with bright colors and a super hero on it. He put foam padding inside and a small lock outside. It looks just like a lunch box

Quote Originally Posted by JBolder View Post
    A co-worker uses a kid's lunch box with bright colors and a super hero on it. He put foam padding inside and a small lock outside. It looks just like a lunch box
    That's an awesome idea! I should try that sometime!
    IT is better to have a gun on you and NOT need it, than to need a gun and NOT have it on you...