Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger GP100

Ruger GP100

After weeks of thinking about it (and waiting for the tax check, of course) I finally was able to go out and get me a new gun, as opposed to the normal window shopping.

While I narrowed my search down to a few that I had in mind, at the last minute I saw a Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4" barrel giving me the sad eyes from the glass-enclosed cage it was in. That was all it took lol.

This thing is sweet and built for longevity.

Has anyone ever had a bad one or problems of any kind? It's my first GP100 but after searching the web for the past day or two it appears to be a solid gun that's built to last.

Another question I have is how can I run a serial number search to figure out just how old it is without calling the company direct? While searching around this weekend I stumbled upon a page that looked like it could do it but lost the page and can't remember where it was lol. It might have been on the Ruger site, but I went back there and couldn't find it again.

Thanks.

Very nice score. Solid, well-built piece. Good rep with those who own them.
    Was searching high and low for one myself, as they are supposed to be reasonably priced,also.
    But near impossible to find locally, when a shop does get them in, they mark them way up-often well above MSRP, and still they vanish almost immediately.
    Have yet to find one new for under $700+

Congrats on the Ruger. I don't have a GP100, but I do have a few other Ruger models and have been very happy with them.... and the service that Ruger provides.

Go here and you can get an idea of when yours was made:
    http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    Was searching high and low for one myself, as they are supposed to be reasonably priced,also.
    But near impossible to find locally, when a shop does get them in, they mark them way up-often well above MSRP, and still they vanish almost immediately.
    Try Gallery of Guns... Gun Genie. Buy it online (usually for a very good price), and pick it up from a local dealer. I've bought a couple this way. It works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Blk97F150 View Post
    Congrats on the Ruger. I don't have a GP100, but I do have a few other Ruger models and have been very happy with them.... and the service that Ruger provides.

Go here and you can get an idea of when yours was made:
    http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html
    BAM! That was it lol.

According to this link it was eitehr made or shipped somewhere around 1999-2000. I sent a request off to Ruger to see if they can narrow it down a bit too. Thanks for finding that.

j4l, I've never really went out looking for a new one so I'm not sure how much a good average price would be for new. Mine was just under $400 used. I'm not even sure if that's a good or bad price really as I did absolutely zero research on it before picking it up. Like I mentioned in my OP, it just sort of caught my eye at the last minute when trying to decide between two other guns that reached my final list.

It is sweet though. After shooting it I don't care if I got ripped off on the price of a used one or not lol. I really have no clue as to what an average used price would be for this model. It's solid, well built, accurate as hell, and hopefully will be with me for a long time.

The rosewood inserts on the handle adds a nice touch of class too.
    Last edited by rotorhead; 02-20-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Good deal either way. With most makes, Im less-inclined to even consider used- simply because one may find out the hard way what some self-proclaimed "gunsmith" may or may not have done to it. But the Rugers, seem to be built especially tough.
    Unless utterly abused, it should hold up well for many years.

Good deal either way. With most makes, Im less-inclined to even consider used- simply because one may find out the hard way what some self-proclaimed "gunsmith" may or may not have done to it. But the Rugers, seem to be built especially tough.
    Unless utterly abused, it should hold up well for many years.
    Much like you I tend to shy away from used guns. I did to a thorough looking over with it, although I did not disassemble it before buying. What I could see was immaculate though. In fact, I think it's only the second used gun I've ever bought come to think of it.

I took it apart the night I bought it and used a lighted x4 magnifier that I have for work on it. Other than the usual minor mini-scratches (of which there was only a few) that accumulate over time, the gun is in pristine condition.

For once in my life I think I just happened to be in the right place at the right time lol.

Now I just wonder how I'll pay for it in other ways, knowing that life will get back at me somehow :P

I Have One and Love It!

I have one with a 6" Barrel and love it.

The grips are beautiful and fit my hands just right; the gun is solid, just like any other Rugers.

You will not be sorry about your purchase!!!

I don't own a GP-100 but I have owned 2 Security-Sixes ( a blued and then a Stainless ) with 4"BBL.

I loved those revolvers. They were tough and the GP-100 is an improved model. It should last you many years , if not a lifetime , provided you take care of it.

I like the rosewood inserts better than the all rubber grips on the newest GPs . Dang...now I have my fingers wanting to wrap themselves around the grip of a GP-100.

I Owned a Security Six...Once!

Quote Originally Posted by jayspapa View Post
    I don't own a GP-100 but I have owned 2 Security-Sixes ( a blued and then a Stainless ) with 4"BBL.

I loved those revolvers. They were tough and the GP-100 is an improved model. It should last you many years , if not a lifetime , provided you take care of it.

I like the rosewood inserts better than the all rubber grips on the newest GPs . Dang...now I have my fingers wanting to wrap themselves around the grip of a GP-100.
    I had a blued 4" Security Six once...and gave it to my son; who, I found out, later gave it to his Father in Law...

My Ruger Super Redhawk (7 1/2" barrel in .44 Mag) has the same grips. Again...they are not only great looking, but fit my hand perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by jayspapa View Post

From what I've seen it's getting harder to find ones with the original grips, although I guess some places make "off brand" sets. I think I lucked out on this one.

It shot beautifully. The sights only took one adjustment and it's dead on.
    I don't like the black front sight though and will probably either replace it or put a white dot on it for now.

It's a beast though.

ruger gp 100

hello there .. same thing here .. tax check in the bank i was out looking for a nice revolver. not sure exactly what i wanted .. till i saw the ruger gp 100 .... i gave it the once over . then looked at a tarus that was similar .. the ruger just seemed more solid .. the rubber grips fit my hand well .. the tarus was just over $400 .. the ruger was $600 .. i went w the ruger ... next day took it to the range. after lowering the rear sight one click it was right on .... great shooting gun .. lotts of fun w the magnums. .38,s run through it nice ..... all in all a great gun for the $ .... im verry happy w it .....

Sweet!

I couldn't be happier with mine so far. I have a feeling that this gun won't be on my selling list for a long time to come.

I'm less-inclined to even consider used- simply because one may find out the hard way what some self-proclaimed "gunsmith" may or may not have done to it.
    That's probably a good policy if don't have the skills to thoroughly check it out. Of course, you could also have it checked by a gunsmith. Many stores will give you a few days to return it if it fails the gunsmith check. I actually prefer used guns because the parts tend to wear in and smooth out with use, but I'm a pretty good amateur gunsmith and if I see or feel something I can't explain, I know not to buy.

Cabela's of East Grand Forks, MN has them for $599, and you should be able to get a price match from any cabelas. I just picked up up last week, same gun, except black with black rubber grips which feel like they were made just for my hand. Used, (although it seems as if it's never been shot) and 450 was too good a price on a like new one to pass up. Solid, and I plan on having it for the rest of my life. Great gun. Now, where to find a decent shoulder holster for it. . .

I love Ruger revolvers. Hope to get a GP-100 one day. Have an Alaskan .44mag and a Redhawk 4" .45 Colt. AWESOME guns.

Picking up this GP100 has definitely opened my eyes to the rest of their revolvers. They have some nice ones, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    Picking up this GP100 has definitely opened my eyes to the rest of their revolvers. They have some nice ones, for sure.

That should be your next purchase.

I wanted the .454 model so I could use the .45 colt loads I have for my Redhawk through it as well, but no one had it so I had to settle on .44mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtis View Post

That should be your next purchase.

I wanted the .454 model so I could use the .45 colt loads I have for my Redhawk through it as well, but no one had it so I had to settle on .44mag.
    Uggh, I'm trying to save for the Sig I wanted and you're not helping. A .44mag is definitely biting at my ankles...

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhead View Post
    After weeks of thinking about it (and waiting for the tax check, of course) I finally was able to go out and get me a new gun, as opposed to the normal window shopping.

While I narrowed my search down to a few that I had in mind, at the last minute I saw a Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4" barrel giving me the sad eyes from the glass-enclosed cage it was in. That was all it took lol.

This thing is sweet and built for longevity.

Has anyone ever had a bad one or problems of any kind? It's my first GP100 but after searching the web for the past day or two it appears to be a solid gun that's built to last.

Another question I have is how can I run a serial number search to figure out just how old it is without calling the company direct? While searching around this weekend I stumbled upon a page that looked like it could do it but lost the page and can't remember where it was lol. It might have been on the Ruger site, but I went back there and couldn't find it again.

Thanks.
    Good call.

I am so happy to have mine (the 6"), and have never had a problem.

I changed out the front sight with a HiVis (IIRC), available at Bass Pro... and sickeningly easy to install (yay, Ruger!!)

A couple modifications and it's becoming the total package.

For months I've been waiting for Ruger to get more of their front sights in with the red inserts and I finally got mine last week. Along with that, I bought a new holster for it from Rocky River Leather Co here in NC.

RRL does some great work, btw...

http://rockyriverleather.com/content/index.php

Great personal customer service and the quality is top notch. I highly recommend them for anything I need that's made from dead cow skin

I'm really loving this gun.
    Last edited by rotorhead; 04-08-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Question purchased used GP100

I was in the market for a Glock 17 or 19 so I went to a gun store to check out their new models. They had new 3rd and 4th Generation models. 520$ 3rd and 530$ 4th. Though this is some serious cheese, I felt that it was a reasonable price for a very high quality gun. I thought for sure I would be walking out of the store with a receipt for one within a few days.

I looked over at the Ruger revolvers and they had GP100's for sale. My dad carried a Ruger Security Six back in the day and really liked it so I was interested. They were 535$ Blue and 595$ stainless. I thought that was a little steep.

As I continued to browse their selection I noticed a used Ruger GP100 (circa 2005) on sale for 200$(224$ with tax).
    It was everything I wanted in a revolver. .357, 4" barrel, stainless steel. I called my dad to ask him what he thought and he said if I wanted it I should get it. So I did.

So, I picked it up a few days later, test fired it(I didn't die), and was mostly impressed. Its definitely a totally different set of training for the use of a revolver for self-defense but I've made the plunge. I bought a Bianchi Shadow holster, 2 speed loaders with carrying pouch, hogue monogrip, and some snap caps to practice loading and unloading.

I'm currently stacking it with Hornady Critical Defense 125 gr FTX JHP. I hope to get some more serious range time in with it soon as well as lots of daily dry practice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	5651  

I wish I could find one for that price around my area. I would snatch it up in a heart beat!

Congrats on the purchase, ComradeV! Short of using it for a boat anchor, you'll never wear that Ruger out. Heck, it might even survive that! The .357 is an excellent all-purpose revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeV View Post
    I was in the market for a Glock 17 or 19 so I went to a gun store to check out their new models. They had new 3rd and 4th Generation models. 520$ 3rd and 530$ 4th. Though this is some serious cheese, I felt that it was a reasonable price for a very high quality gun. I thought for sure I would be walking out of the store with a receipt for one within a few days.

I looked over at the Ruger revolvers and they had GP100's for sale. My dad carried a Ruger Security Six back in the day and really liked it so I was interested. They were 535$ Blue and 595$ stainless. I thought that was a little steep.

As I continued to browse their selection I noticed a used Ruger GP100 (circa 2005) on sale for 200$(224$ with tax).
    It was everything I wanted in a revolver. .357, 4" barrel, stainless steel. I called my dad to ask him what he thought and he said if I wanted it I should get it. So I did.

So, I picked it up a few days later, test fired it(I didn't die), and was mostly impressed. Its definitely a totally different set of training for the use of a revolver for self-defense but I've made the plunge. I bought a Bianchi Shadow holster, 2 speed loaders with carrying pouch, hogue monogrip, and some snap caps to practice loading and unloading.

I'm currently stacking it with Hornady Critical Defense 125 gr FTX JHP. I hope to get some more serious range time in with it soon as well as lots of daily dry practice.
    Sweet! You lucked out getting it for that price, grats.

If you don't want your wood panel grips, gimme a yell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast