• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger GP100

rotorhead

After weeks of thinking about it (and waiting for the tax check, of course) I finally was able to go out and get me a new gun, as opposed to the normal window shopping.

While I narrowed my search down to a few that I had in mind, at the last minute I saw a Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4" barrel giving me the sad eyes from the glass-enclosed cage it was in. That was all it took lol.

This thing is sweet and built for longevity.

Has anyone ever had a bad one or problems of any kind? It's my first GP100 but after searching the web for the past day or two it appears to be a solid gun that's built to last.

Another question I have is how can I run a serial number search to figure out just how old it is without calling the company direct? While searching around this weekend I stumbled upon a page that looked like it could do it but lost the page and can't remember where it was lol. It might have been on the Ruger site, but I went back there and couldn't find it again.

Thanks.

j4l

Very nice score. Solid, well-built piece. Good rep with those who own them.
Was searching high and low for one myself, as they are supposed to be reasonably priced,also.
But near impossible to find locally, when a shop does get them in, they mark them way up-often well above MSRP, and still they vanish almost immediately.
Have yet to find one new for under $700+ :banghead:

Blk97F150

Was searching high and low for one myself, as they are supposed to be reasonably priced,also.
But near impossible to find locally, when a shop does get them in, they mark them way up-often well above MSRP, and still they vanish almost immediately.

Try Gallery of Guns... Gun Genie. Buy it online (usually for a very good price), and pick it up from a local dealer. I've bought a couple this way. It works well.

rotorhead

Congrats on the Ruger. I don't have a GP100, but I do have a few other Ruger models and have been very happy with them.... and the service that Ruger provides.

Go here and you can get an idea of when yours was made:
http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

BAM! That was it lol.

According to this link it was eitehr made or shipped somewhere around 1999-2000. I sent a request off to Ruger to see if they can narrow it down a bit too. Thanks for finding that.

j4l, I've never really went out looking for a new one so I'm not sure how much a good average price would be for new. Mine was just under $400 used. I'm not even sure if that's a good or bad price really as I did absolutely zero research on it before picking it up. Like I mentioned in my OP, it just sort of caught my eye at the last minute when trying to decide between two other guns that reached my final list.

It is sweet though. After shooting it I don't care if I got ripped off on the price of a used one or not lol. I really have no clue as to what an average used price would be for this model. It's solid, well built, accurate as hell, and hopefully will be with me for a long time.

The rosewood inserts on the handle adds a nice touch of class too.

Last edited:

j4l

Good deal either way. With most makes, Im less-inclined to even consider used- simply because one may find out the hard way what some self-proclaimed "gunsmith" may or may not have done to it. But the Rugers, seem to be built especially tough.
Unless utterly abused, it should hold up well for many years.

rotorhead

Good deal either way. With most makes, Im less-inclined to even consider used- simply because one may find out the hard way what some self-proclaimed "gunsmith" may or may not have done to it. But the Rugers, seem to be built especially tough.
Unless utterly abused, it should hold up well for many years.

Much like you I tend to shy away from used guns. I did to a thorough looking over with it, although I did not disassemble it before buying. What I could see was immaculate though. In fact, I think it's only the second used gun I've ever bought come to think of it.

I took it apart the night I bought it and used a lighted x4 magnifier that I have for work on it. Other than the usual minor mini-scratches (of which there was only a few) that accumulate over time, the gun is in pristine condition.

For once in my life I think I just happened to be in the right place at the right time lol.

Now I just wonder how I'll pay for it in other ways, knowing that life will get back at me somehow :p :uhoh:

:)

Don Barnett

I Have One and Love It!

I have one with a 6" Barrel and love it.

The grips are beautiful and fit my hands just right; the gun is solid, just like any other Rugers.

You will not be sorry about your purchase!!!

jayspapa

I don't own a GP-100 but I have owned 2 Security-Sixes ( a blued and then a Stainless ) with 4"BBL.

I loved those revolvers. They were tough and the GP-100 is an improved model. It should last you many years , if not a lifetime , provided you take care of it.

I like the rosewood inserts better than the all rubber grips on the newest GPs . Dang...now I have my fingers wanting to wrap themselves around the grip of a GP-100.

Don Barnett

I Owned a Security Six...Once!

I don't own a GP-100 but I have owned 2 Security-Sixes ( a blued and then a Stainless ) with 4"BBL.

I loved those revolvers. They were tough and the GP-100 is an improved model. It should last you many years , if not a lifetime , provided you take care of it.

I like the rosewood inserts better than the all rubber grips on the newest GPs . Dang...now I have my fingers wanting to wrap themselves around the grip of a GP-100.

I had a blued 4" Security Six once...and gave it to my son; who, I found out, later gave it to his Father in Law...:mad:

My Ruger Super Redhawk (7 1/2" barrel in .44 Mag) has the same grips. Again...they are not only great looking, but fit my hand perfectly!

rotorhead

From what I've seen it's getting harder to find ones with the original grips, although I guess some places make "off brand" sets. I think I lucked out on this one.

It shot beautifully. The sights only took one adjustment and it's dead on.
I don't like the black front sight though and will probably either replace it or put a white dot on it for now.

It's a beast though.

dave.....

ruger gp 100

hello there .. same thing here .. tax check in the bank i was out looking for a nice revolver. not sure exactly what i wanted .. till i saw the ruger gp 100 .... i gave it the once over . then looked at a tarus that was similar .. the ruger just seemed more solid .. the rubber grips fit my hand well .. the tarus was just over $400 .. the ruger was $600 .. i went w the ruger ... next day took it to the range. after lowering the rear sight one click it was right on .... great shooting gun .. lotts of fun w the magnums. .38,s run through it nice ..... all in all a great gun for the $ .... im verry happy w it .....

rotorhead

Sweet!

I couldn't be happier with mine so far. I have a feeling that this gun won't be on my selling list for a long time to come.

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
I'm less-inclined to even consider used- simply because one may find out the hard way what some self-proclaimed "gunsmith" may or may not have done to it.

That's probably a good policy if don't have the skills to thoroughly check it out. Of course, you could also have it checked by a gunsmith. Many stores will give you a few days to return it if it fails the gunsmith check. I actually prefer used guns because the parts tend to wear in and smooth out with use, but I'm a pretty good amateur gunsmith and if I see or feel something I can't explain, I know not to buy.

Bowers

Cabela's of East Grand Forks, MN has them for $599, and you should be able to get a price match from any cabelas. I just picked up up last week, same gun, except black with black rubber grips which feel like they were made just for my hand. Used, (although it seems as if it's never been shot) and 450 was too good a price on a like new one to pass up. Solid, and I plan on having it for the rest of my life. Great gun. Now, where to find a decent shoulder holster for it. . .

rotorhead

Picking up this GP100 has definitely opened my eyes to the rest of their revolvers. They have some nice ones, for sure.

curtiswr

Picking up this GP100 has definitely opened my eyes to the rest of their revolvers. They have some nice ones, for sure.

IMG_3752.jpg

That should be your next purchase. :banana:

I wanted the .454 model so I could use the .45 colt loads I have for my Redhawk through it as well, but no one had it so I had to settle on .44mag. :cool:

rotorhead

IMG_3752.jpg

That should be your next purchase. :banana:

I wanted the .454 model so I could use the .45 colt loads I have for my Redhawk through it as well, but no one had it so I had to settle on .44mag. :cool:

Uggh, I'm trying to save for the Sig I wanted and you're not helping. A .44mag is definitely biting at my ankles...

Mr H

After weeks of thinking about it (and waiting for the tax check, of course) I finally was able to go out and get me a new gun, as opposed to the normal window shopping.

While I narrowed my search down to a few that I had in mind, at the last minute I saw a Ruger GP100 .357 with a 4" barrel giving me the sad eyes from the glass-enclosed cage it was in. That was all it took lol.

This thing is sweet and built for longevity.

Has anyone ever had a bad one or problems of any kind? It's my first GP100 but after searching the web for the past day or two it appears to be a solid gun that's built to last.

Another question I have is how can I run a serial number search to figure out just how old it is without calling the company direct? While searching around this weekend I stumbled upon a page that looked like it could do it but lost the page and can't remember where it was lol. It might have been on the Ruger site, but I went back there and couldn't find it again.

Thanks.

Good call.

I am so happy to have mine (the 6"), and have never had a problem.

I changed out the front sight with a HiVis (IIRC), available at Bass Pro... and sickeningly easy to install (yay, Ruger!!)