• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ruger GP100

rotorhead

A couple modifications and it's becoming the total package.

For months I've been waiting for Ruger to get more of their front sights in with the red inserts and I finally got mine last week. Along with that, I bought a new holster for it from Rocky River Leather Co here in NC.

RRL does some great work, btw...

http://rockyriverleather.com/content/index.php

Great personal customer service and the quality is top notch. I highly recommend them for anything I need that's made from dead cow skin :)

9rlPF.jpg

GTFYp.jpg

FZ4np.jpg

I'm really loving this gun. :monkey

Last edited:

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
purchased used GP100

I was in the market for a Glock 17 or 19 so I went to a gun store to check out their new models. They had new 3rd and 4th Generation models. 520$ 3rd and 530$ 4th. Though this is some serious cheese, I felt that it was a reasonable price for a very high quality gun. I thought for sure I would be walking out of the store with a receipt for one within a few days.

I looked over at the Ruger revolvers and they had GP100's for sale. My dad carried a Ruger Security Six back in the day and really liked it so I was interested. They were 535$ Blue and 595$ stainless. I thought that was a little steep.

As I continued to browse their selection I noticed a used Ruger GP100 (circa 2005) on sale for 200$(224$ with tax).
It was everything I wanted in a revolver. .357, 4" barrel, stainless steel. I called my dad to ask him what he thought and he said if I wanted it I should get it. So I did.

So, I picked it up a few days later, test fired it(I didn't die), and was mostly impressed. Its definitely a totally different set of training for the use of a revolver for self-defense but I've made the plunge. I bought a Bianchi Shadow holster, 2 speed loaders with carrying pouch, hogue monogrip, and some snap caps to practice loading and unloading.

I'm currently stacking it with Hornady Critical Defense 125 gr FTX JHP. I hope to get some more serious range time in with it soon as well as lots of daily dry practice.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 243

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
Congrats on the purchase, ComradeV! Short of using it for a boat anchor, you'll never wear that Ruger out. Heck, it might even survive that! The .357 is an excellent all-purpose revolver.

rotorhead

I was in the market for a Glock 17 or 19 so I went to a gun store to check out their new models. They had new 3rd and 4th Generation models. 520$ 3rd and 530$ 4th. Though this is some serious cheese, I felt that it was a reasonable price for a very high quality gun. I thought for sure I would be walking out of the store with a receipt for one within a few days.

I looked over at the Ruger revolvers and they had GP100's for sale. My dad carried a Ruger Security Six back in the day and really liked it so I was interested. They were 535$ Blue and 595$ stainless. I thought that was a little steep.

As I continued to browse their selection I noticed a used Ruger GP100 (circa 2005) on sale for 200$(224$ with tax).
It was everything I wanted in a revolver. .357, 4" barrel, stainless steel. I called my dad to ask him what he thought and he said if I wanted it I should get it. So I did.

So, I picked it up a few days later, test fired it(I didn't die), and was mostly impressed. Its definitely a totally different set of training for the use of a revolver for self-defense but I've made the plunge. I bought a Bianchi Shadow holster, 2 speed loaders with carrying pouch, hogue monogrip, and some snap caps to practice loading and unloading.

I'm currently stacking it with Hornady Critical Defense 125 gr FTX JHP. I hope to get some more serious range time in with it soon as well as lots of daily dry practice.

Sweet! You lucked out getting it for that price, grats.

If you don't want your wood panel grips, gimme a yell :)

Fabricator

Good find!

I paid $350 for the "6 inch GP" pictured below, $300 for the Security-six (4" w/adj sights), and $75 for the fixed sight "service-six". All .357's, and all regular shooters. Then grainy phone image doesn't do them justice, as the GP and security-six are like new, and the service six is wearing a plumb brown patina all-over, except the holster wear, which reveals shiny steel in most of the high spots!

I bought the GP to try handgun hunting out "little GA whitetails" this fall, but the 4" guns are carried (not as a pair).

1303429212.jpg

Fabricator

rotorhead

That's a sweet collection you got there. Don't suppose you have some strange urge to gimme all them, do you? :)