• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Detroit Public Library: Add to the Anti-OC List

PDinDetroit

It looks like the CADL Issue just got a little more important...

Cross Posted from MGO (for those who who do not have and ID): http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=124241

XDM 40 cal said:
It looks like Detroit PUBLIC Library is a PFZ

Someone thought they should break into the library, and in the interview Ch 7 did, I seen a note pasted on the door, that read there are NO CC in the library...

thats news to me.

PDinDetroit said:
2011 is shaping up to be "Year Of The Library" here in MI for Firearm Rights Issues. Lansing and now Detroit, probably a few more cities out there we are not aware of.

Did you have a new link on wxyz.com for that video? Do you know which Detroit Public Library Location?

PDinDetroit said:
From the Detroit Public Library Website, the Rules and Regulations for Customers Policy states that only CC is allowed:

9. The possession of any firearm other than lawfully possessed concealed firearms is prohibited in the library. All parcels, bags, briefcases, backpacks, purses and other personal belongings are subject to inspection.

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/About_DPL/Library_Environment.htm

PDinDetroit said:
From the History Page of the Detroit Public Library Website, it appears clear that the Detroit Public Library is a District Library. Since both libraries allow CC and not OC, the CADL issue becomes all the more important as if it is found that Authorities can Ban Firearms, then CC is not safe and can be banned at any time.

http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/About_DPL/DPL_History.htm

Michigander

The part about peoples belongings being subject to inspection is as funny as it is arrogant. Since when are they so special that they are above and beyond the constitution and the boundaries of Terry V Ohio? Most colleges and some libraries seem to want to have a contest to see just how many federally mandated rights they can infringe upon.

As Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

stainless1911

Banned
We can garner more support from now less supportive individuals when we start presenting OC as more of a first amendment issue than a second amendment one. OC has much more to do with the first than it does the second.

This point should absolutely be brought up in court at the CADL hearings.

PDinDetroit

The part about peoples belongings being subject to inspection is as funny as it is arrogant. Since when are they so special that they are above and beyond the constitution and the boundaries of Terry V Ohio? Most colleges and some libraries seem to want to have a contest to see just how many federally mandated rights they can infringe upon.

As Ron White says, you can't fix stupid.

A someone recently opined here "Busy little Fascists, aren't they?".

PDinDetroit

We can garner more support from now less supportive individuals when we start presenting OC as more of a first amendment issue than a second amendment one. OC has much more to do with the first than it does the second.

That point was covered in my TRO Thoughts posted recently...

Haman J.T.

OC is supported by both the 1st & 2nd and the rest of the constitution.

eastmeyers

OC is supported by both the 1st & 2nd and the rest of the constitution.
Well it should be covered a couple of times by the first and a couple of times by the second.

1.1. Freedom of Speech
1.2 Freedom of Assemble
2.1 Right of the the PEOPLE to keep and BEAR arms
2.2 Well regulated Militia (according to Michigan Constitution EVERY Michigan citizen is a member of the Militia, not the people training up north, just if the need be we can be asked to help protect the State, and Country)

I am sure if I go through every amendment in the Constitution I can find a way to tie this situation to all of them, that is how bad they are trying to screw our rights, thats how ANTI they are. I just to give a taste I thought I would list the first two.

PDinDetroit

Where does it state this?

MCL 32.509 said:
32.509 State military establishment; composition; organized and unorganized militia.

Sec. 109.

The organized militia of this state taken collectively shall be known as the state military establishment and constitutes the armed forces of this state. The organized militia consists of the army national guard, the air national guard, and the defense force when actually in existence as provided in this act. The unorganized militia consists of all other able-bodied citizens of this state and all other able-bodied citizens who are residents of this state who have or shall have declared their intention to become citizens of the United States, who shall be age 17 or over and not more than age 60, and shall be subject to state military duty as provided in this act.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-32-509

MCL 32.555 said:
32.555 Unorganized militia; power of the governor.

Sec. 155.

The governor may order into the defense force any members of the unorganized militia in case of riot, tumult, breach of the peace, resistance of process, or for service in aid of civil authority, whether state or federal, or in time of public danger, disaster, crisis, catastrophe or other public emergency within this state.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-32-555

Last edited:

eastmeyers

Thanks PD, I would've done it, but hey you did if for me. I appreciate it!

Yup, whether you like it or not, most people are militia members in Michigan.

Last edited:

kubel

I have a new DISrespect for public libraries. Makes me sick to know that my tax dollars are going to support their attempt to infringe my rights.

army74

Library's

Pontiac public has a policy of only allowing bona fide police officers or some one with a valid cpl permit only no OC allowed. Just too think i helped pay for the library.Just for another note alot of vagrants in the area a guy was shooting a gun in air 6 months ago because he caught his wife cheating on him with another man at the library.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I have a new DISrespect for public libraries. Makes me sick to know that my tax dollars are going to support their attempt to infringe my rights.

especially in the kind of place that relies so heavily on the protection of the constitution. ever read "Fahrenheit 451"? maybe it should be required reading for the "busy little fascists"

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Pontiac public has a policy of only allowing bona fide police officers or some one with a valid cpl permit only no OC allowed. Just too think i helped pay for the library.Just for another note alot of vagrants in the area a guy was shooting a gun in air 6 months ago because he caught his wife cheating on him with another man at the library.

i would pretty much tell them to suck it. much like lansing, continue to OC their until they bring legal action.