• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why no movement toward Constitutional Carry?

suntzu

So why no attempt for Constitutional Carry this year? We will never get it if we don't start working for it. We have to show the legislature that this is what we want--other states have done it successfully and we can do if we really want it.

Everyone needs to get on a writing spree--your state reps your state senators...let them know this is what we want, and for what good it will do--the TFA...although I have very little faith in the TFA to do anything except try to maintain the status quo as it is...

HvyMtl

Why no push? We have a RINO Governor, who is not pro-2nd A. We have a Speaker of the House whose voting record screams Anti-2nd A and was the Co-Chair for the Governor's election campaign.

Any legislation focused on this will not see the light of day in the House.

suntzu

suntzu

Why no push? We have a RINO Governor, who is not pro-2nd A. We have a Speaker of the House whose voting record screams Anti-2nd A and was the Co-Chair for the Governor's election campaign.

Any legislation focused on this will not see the light of day in the House.

That does not mean we can't still talk to House members about bringing the bill to the House and actually supporting it.

MKEgal

bill died

I had emailed the Senator (Stacey Campbell; sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov) who sponsored the bill, offering some observations & comments, & he emailed me back WED the 23rd saying it died because of no House sponsor.

So get on your House reps to coordinate with Sen. Campbell & revive it.

#####

Here is the gist of my comments to him:
1) Why do you restrict Constitutional Carry to TN residents? Say "all adult citizens or legal residents who may posess a handgun under Federal law".

2) I like adding the "intent to harm" clause. However, the anti-sexist in me balks at the usage of "fellow man". How about "another person"? Women are criminals, too... and the victims of criminals.

3) "This bill makes it a Class C misdemeanor for a person to fail to accurately answer a law enforcement officer if the officer contacts the person and asks whether the person is carrying a concealed deadly weapon."

This part needs to be scrapped. This is a direct violation of the 5th Amendment, which protects our right against self-incrimination, our right to remain silent.

Besides, the officer doesn't need to fear the good citizen who answers "yes", while the criminal who will probably answer "no" may intend to try to kill the officer.

4) If someone doesn't have a driver's license, what then? Where will the State affix the permit to carry endorsement? Will the State provide, at no cost, a state ID card?

suntzu

Well I wrote my House rep some time ago about Constitutional carry--and as expected I received no response...No shocker there. I simply don't understand why they want a job that they won't do. We should have a recall option in this state, so that if an elected official does not do their job--we can fire them before their term expires like any other employee....

It is all about money--the state wants the revenue from the permit applications--and that is exactly why we are required to have our state mandated privilege card. It was never about "training"...just about money.

Oh Shoot

I had emailed the Senator (Stacey Campbell; sen.stacey.campfield@capitol.tn.gov) who sponsored the bill, offering some observations & comments, & he emailed me back WED the 23rd saying it died because of no House sponsor. ...

You probably don't know, but Stacey is a nut; we elected him here I guess because he's a lovable local nut, but truth be told nobody else in Nashville probably wants to be seen as his close ally.

It would be better if someone else proposed gun bills.

- OS

Fallguy

I believe the deadline has passed for it to get a House Sponsor. So it is dead for this year.

Not sure if it can be brought back up after the first of the year or not, or if it has to wait till next session (2013-2014)