• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

KC meet?

goalseter88

but do we know where and when? i assuming the time will be the same(4pm) but i always thought you guys switch places each time. i didnt know who decides where. i know i got a couple on the FB page that are wanting to go to the next meet. so i just was trying to figure out , so i can let them know so they can plan for it.

normally you seem to have it posted by now. so i wasnt sure if everyone up there was busy and were going to skip next month or what:p

heck i dont think i seen a post from you or chaing since about the last meet, which is odd:p

Last edited:

ChiangShih

heck i dont think i seen a post from you or chaing since about the last meet, which is odd:p

Lol, I've been busy since the meet, topped off with food poisoning from yogurtini in Lee's Summit. But now that a thread is up we know the time and date we can work on a location.

Last edited:

ChiangShih

Personally, I was thinking about crown center. As you guys know I like big open air meets especially in popular/high traffic/ icon KC areas. I know some of the guys aren't familiar with downtown though and I have not personally checks on how OC friendly the shopping areas are but there are plenty of restaurants to choose from and it would be another large public statement like the plaza meet imo. Anyway, its a thought, what do you guys think?

I think there was also some discussion over the possibility of a st joe/kc gathering at the last meet but I'm not sure where everyone stands on that.

Last edited:

afcarry

I know for a fact that Rev wont be going to one on the second week of the month, I believe it will be that special time of month for him.................when his girlfriend has a birthday. so he was thinking of one the first or third weekend of the month. The idea gained support but there was no follow-through post, so by default, I believe the Idea is a bust. I agree someplace busy would be best, the only problem with the downtown area is (as I understand) that you have to be very careful where you walk, supposedly there are little cells of places where you cant OC, and I personally don't know where those are. But, I don't live there, so Ill trust one of you city-guys.

ChiangShih

... the only problem with the downtown area is (as I understand) that you have to be very careful where you walk, supposedly there are little cells of places where you cant OC,....

What are these areas you speak of? I know in some areas you cant OC within so many yards of a school or something to the effect. For instance, around my campus there are buildings and areas just off campus that are owned by the school or considered part of the school so no OC. This includes: Muddy's Coffee, Kin Lins Chinese Restaurant, Sahara Restaurant, the cleaners in the same shopping area, also there is a building on troost which is UMKCs career center and student clinic which is a no gun zone. You could technically CCW in these places but you get the point.

If there are other areas like this downtown I'd like to know em as I OC in KC and downtown quite often.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What are these areas you speak of? I know in some areas you cant OC within so many yards of a school or something to the effect. For instance, around my campus there are buildings and areas just off campus that are owned by the school or considered part of the school so no OC. This includes: Muddy's Coffee, Kin Lins Chinese Restaurant, Sahara Restaurant, the cleaners in the same shopping area, also there is a building on troost which is UMKCs career center and student clinic which is a no gun zone. You could technically CCW in these places but you get the point.

If there are other areas like this downtown I'd like to know em as I OC in KC and downtown quite often.

Why do you think that you cannot OC near a university building? The GFSZA only applies to K-12 and there is no restriction on OC, only that you have a permit issued by that state.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

ChiangShih

Why do you think that you cannot OC near a university building? The GFSZA only applies to K-12 and there is no restriction on OC, only that you have a permit issued by that state.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/batf_school_zone.pdf

Because the school maintains a no guns on campus policy, you might get away with CCW but OCing wouldn't go over very well. Also, I'm a student there, so I can't risk challenging it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Because the school maintains a no guns on campus policy, you might get away with CCW but OCing wouldn't go over very well. Also, I'm a student there, so I can't risk challenging it.

Understand that, but you previously raised the question referring to "off campus."

What rule are you then challenging or is it just wanting to maintain a low profile?

ChiangShih

Understand that, but you previously raised the question referring to "off campus."

What rule are you then challenging or is it just wanting to maintain a low profile?

I'm not sure what you mean, when I say off campus I mean its not within the main blocks of the Volker campus, but are still considered part of the school and its extended campus, thus the policy applies to my knowledge. Muddy's coffee would be one of the areas that I'm not too sure about. They are a privately owned business but the building they operate in is owned by UMKC and considered a part of the campus as far as I know. I don't risk OCing in there because if it were to come into question and I was found in violation of school policy I risk my college career.

I'm not expert on these areas though, that is why I was wondering if there were more areas to be aware of in the downtown area or if there are any municipal laws specific to OC that created these no OC "cells" or pockets. It is something I'd like to be more aware of.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm not sure what you mean, when I say off campus I mean its not within the main blocks of the Volker campus, but are still considered part of the school and its extended campus, thus the policy applies to my knowledge. Muddy's coffee would be one of the areas that I'm not too sure about. They are a privately owned business but the building they operate in is owned by UMKC and considered a part of the campus as far as I know. I don't risk OCing in there because if it were to come into question and I was found in violation of school policy I risk my college career.

I'm not expert on these areas though, that is why I was wondering if there were more areas to be aware of in the downtown area or if there are any municipal laws specific to OC that created these no OC "cells" or pockets. It is something I'd like to be more aware of.

Now you are getting into real estate law. Does the tenants lease contain such restrictions - it is the lessor that has ultimate control over the property unless there are such limitations stated. I doubt there are, but you could likely find out if its that important by filing an FOIA request.

ChiangShih

Now you are getting into real estate law. Does the tenants lease contain such restrictions - it is the lessor that has ultimate control over the property unless there are such limitations stated. I doubt there are, but you could likely find out if its that important by filing an FOIA request.

That may be something I'll have to look more into. I spend a lot of time on and around campus. I guess it is about time I actually sit down and read through their policies and restrictions.

ChiangShih

Anyway, bringing it back to suggestions for the next KC meet, I'm open to any other suggestions. I am going to scout crown center sometime today or in the next few days for any no-gun signs, and do some general information gathering.

Last edited:

mobodyguard

if we want to bring it back to kansas city, thats fine but we have one more city to visit Grandview and yes we were talking about st joe, it really doesnt matter to me

afcarry

Grandview sounds great to me. St. Joe sounds good too. Either way, just lemme know and ill do my best to show. And Chiang, Im not sure exactly what places are gun free in KC, but I haven't extensively scouted it myself, and I believe I heard a rumor about these "cells" existing. Either way, if you know where to go and where not to, well hack it.

ChiangShih

if we want to bring it back to kansas city, thats fine but we have one more city to visit Grandview and yes we were talking about st joe, it really doesnt matter to me

Lol, I forgot all about Grandview, I'm good with that. This will give me more time to research the downtown area for any future meeting.

Last edited:

Reverend BCal

We can save Saint Joseph until our April meet. Give the people a chance to plan for a longer trip.

And speaking of longer trip, can we maybe look for restaurant that's a little closer to the North side of town, like Zona Rosa, Barry Rd or even Liberty? There are obviously plenty of places up there, though Crown Center was definitely appealing. Maybe this would be better brought up for a future meet.