Thread: examiner.com - DC Crime museum promotes unhelpful firearm stereotypes

Moderator / Administrator

examiner.com - DC Crime museum promotes unhelpful firearm stereotypes

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...rm-stereotypes

SNIP

The National Crime and Punishment Museum on 7th Street N.W. in the District is a popular venue for District tourists and residents. I went there a few months ago to check it out . . . But a . . . disturbing issue is that the museum's displays consistently omit any acknowledgement of, as the U.S. Supreme Court noted in United States v. Staples (1994), the "long history of lawful gun ownership by citizens in this country." Nor among the museum's vast collections is there any mention of the continuing common law right of citizen's arrest, the open and concealed carry movements, or . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...rm-stereotypes

SNIP

The National Crime and Punishment Museum on 7th Street N.W. in the District is a popular venue for District tourists and residents. I went there a few months ago to check it out . . . But a . . . disturbing issue is that the museum's displays consistently omit any acknowledgement of, as the U.S. Supreme Court noted in United States v. Staples (1994), the "long history of lawful gun ownership by citizens in this country." Nor among the museum's vast collections is there any mention of the continuing common law right of citizen's arrest, the open and concealed carry movements, or . . .
    Ummm... well... it is a museum for "CRIME and punishment". I wouldn't expect a museum with that title to incorporate "legal gun ownership" into their exhibits. An "open carry" section in the museum? I guess the same could be said about why they didn't have an exhibit portraying "freedom of speech", etc. etc. Take the museum as it is... a crime museum. Not a museum to show legalization of fundamental rights.

I have enjoyed this museum, as many others have. I understand there are guns on display..but they correlate with crimes that were committed. I will continue to visit this museum.

P.S.,I think there is a NRA museum that shows exactly what you are eluding to just off route 66, not far by.
    Last edited by NovaCop10; 02-26-2011 at 04:23 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NovaCop10 View Post
    Ummm... well... it is a museum for "CRIME and punishment". I wouldn't expect a museum with that title to incorporate "legal gun ownership" into their exhibits. An "open carry" section in the museum? I guess the same could be said about why they didn't have an exhibit portraying "freedom of speech", etc. etc. Take the museum as it is... a crime museum. Not a museum to show legalization of fundamental rights.

I have enjoyed this museum, as many others have. I understand there are guns on display..but they correlate with crimes that were committed. I will continue to visit this museum.
    So you think that it is perfectly alright for them to disseminate faulty, inaccurate information? "Semi-automatic firearms, the most commonly purchased handguns in America for over a decade, must be registered with the federal government."

Or to ignore that many have been "punished" when their only "crime" was being a legal citizen not in accord with the personal opinion of someone in authority.

Unfortunately, I would have expected no less from you.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.