• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please read and pass on to your friends

since9

Campaign Veteran
From the article:

"Nancy has filed a Federal Lawsuit seeking up to 70 million dollars from the Town of Southampton, the County of Suffolk, Lieutenant Iberger, Undersheriff Caracappa, Deputy Carlock, Lieutenant Leuete, and various other employees of the Suffolk County Sheriff’s Department."

From another article:

"The Town of Southampton has failed to timely file an answer to the Nancy Genovese lawsuit, possibly leaving the taxpayers of the town on the hook for $70 million dollars. A motion for a default judgment has been filed against the Town of Southampton and Town of Southampton Police Officer Robert Iberger, and we are awaiting a decision by the court."

The video of the town council trying to figure out what's going on is hilarious. What law enforcement officials did to Nancy is unconscionable.

I hope Nancy gets it ALL.

Last edited:

eye95

This is why we should carry recorders and run them all the time.

The originally linked piece is hugely one-sided. It may be an accurate depiction of events, but I am sure that some of Genovese's (or her children's) actions, which were glossed over, might mitigate (or, in some cases, even justify) some of the officers' actions. However, the folks who wrote the piece are her advocates, so they will, of course, paint her in the best possible light and the officers in the worst.

That is not to say that Genovese's rights were not horribly violated. Even if we assume gross exaggeration on the part of those who relate the incident (understandable, since they are probably up against gross exaggeration on the part of the opposing officers and advocates), if even a fraction of what is alleged happened without justification, then Genovese is due punitive damages. Not 70 mil, though, even if we assume zero exaggeration in the report.

I just find the writings of advocates who are trying to win a huge judgment just about as reliable as a police reports from officers in full CYA mode. Statements of advocacy are not facts. They are one-sided conclusions. They are always hyperbolized and omit or gloss over facts that do not further the advocacy.

eye95

Check the names of the plantiff - same women, Nancy Genovese, same case.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/region...J;jsessionid=1E2837F65172F090EC3A41468099BB89

Hmm... A hint of the exaggeration and hyperbole from the other side.

When we start to balance the two sides, we start to get a picture.

I still incline to her rights having been violated, but, if there is some grain of truth to the allegations that she had been scouting the area out earlier and asking the guards questions, then, at the very least, I am suspicious of what she was up to.

Also, that the judge "ordered Genovese held for a psychiatric examination after she went berserk in the courtroom," makes on wonder how she behaved on the scene and the extent to which that behavior prompted reactions from the officers.

Genovese could be anywhere from the 53-year-old mom as depicted by her advocates (but surely not the person depicted in the photograph headlining their advocacy) to the "gun nut" up to no good as depicted in the Post article.

Too much information out there that we do not know to be jumping to conclusions.

[More of concern is that the Post seems to be acting as the advocate for the opposing opinion!]

Kirbinator

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yes, it is the same case. However the link I provided was an UPDATE to the case that occurred the day before the OP posted his link. Yes, it's not new news -- except the news of the default judgement, which happened days ago. :banghead:
=D

Just trying to connect the dotted lines.

It would have been simple to link them together, course that has been done now. :D

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

No excuses!!!!!

Nancy and her sons actions don't matter after being illegally harassed and detained by LEO!!!! Some of us don't like to be bothered unconstitutionally when we are going about our daily lives.