• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

BDR WARNING: SB171 (Adds pocket knives to the NRS 202.265)

jfrey123

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/76th2011/Reports/history.cfm?ID=418

This bill expands the list of weapons that are restricted from carry in a higher education facility as well as day care facility and the other buildings listed in that Statute. Most alarming, this is one of the first time a "dangerous knife" is defined in the NRS that I am aware of, and they define it as
"...a knife having a blade that is 2
19 inches or more in length when measured from the tip of the knife
20 which is customarily sharpened to the unsharpened extension of
21 the blade which forms the hinge connecting the blade to the
22 handle."

So... In various efforts to gain CCW on campus, this hurts the overall goal. Also, more dangerously, it allows the potential for this "dangerous knife" provision to be added to other laws and make criminals out of ordinary people carrying a clipped pocket knife in their pockets. Email your legislators!!!!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
It bans possession of all deadly weapons, which is a catchall that they could use to arrest anyone who possesses any implement. I hope this thing doesn't pass. If it does pass, I'm glad I'm about to graduate because it'd be a pain having to leave behind my can opener and other tools when I'm on campus for 12+ hours. It'd probably also make engineering lab classes longer because the instructor usually only brings one knife that everyone has to share when one is required and it really speeds things up when few people bring their own implements.

Not to mention working on projects and building things on campus when no instructor is around to provide the "deadly implements" like knives and saws and drills and hammers and nails. This bill won't just impair self-defense on campus, it will impair education on campus, unless you are a liberal art student who never has to go near a tool.

Last edited: