• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do I respond to: Do you have any Guns in your vehicle?

M

McX

I was contemplating this, and kinda would like some input from the Brothers and Sisters on the topic title of this thread. I know i cant lie to a cop, but at the same time i dont know if i want to be treated like a criminal, dragged out of the vehicle, get cuffed, all for 'officer safety'. Needless to say, i roll unloaded. encased, and on the front seat next to me. Not to admit anything; but i may also, at any given time, have a back up gun- unloaded and encased, perhapse behind a seat, or in the trunk. I would not consent to a search of my machine, and wonder if i could refuse to answer the question. Your thoughts, and experiences?

phred

I was contemplating this, and kinda would like some input from the Brothers and Sisters on the topic title of this thread. I know i cant lie to a cop, but at the same time i dont know if i want to be treated like a criminal, dragged out of the vehicle, get cuffed, all for 'officer safety'. Needless to say, i roll unloaded. encased, and on the front seat next to me. Not to admit anything; but i may also, at any given time, have a back up gun- unloaded and encased, perhapse behind a seat, or in the trunk. I would not consent to a search of my machine, and wonder if i could refuse to answer the question. Your thoughts, and experiences?

Is this consensual?

Officer, why do you ask?

theoicarry

Is this consensual?

Officer, why do you ask?

I agree, Why do you ask?
On the other hand - As long as we are not a convict etc., do we not have the right to have a weapon unoaded, in a case, and in the car? Cops would sure be busy during the hunting season if they were to ask everyone they stopped between September and January!

Trip20

Someone posted a thread that had a bunch of videos and I think those vids were all about how to handle traffic stops and questioning by law enforcement. I'll look for it but I think some of those vids address your question.

Edit: Here is the thread with the vids. Hopefully some of those help.

Last edited:

protias

"I do not have anything illegal in my vehicle" would be another one I would use.

HandyHamlet

That response is a direct contradiction to the videos in your link.

Don't talk To Cops.

:(

Anything you say can and most likely will be twisted to use against you.

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

I would generally tell them that I do have an "Unloaded and Encased" firearm. That would give them an understanding that you are legally transporting a firearm without giving them reasonable suspicion for officer safety reasons. I would venture to guess that a police officer who thinks that you are pointing out the fact that you are transporting legally would take that as a sign that you are not gonna just roll over if they get out of line with the stop.

On a side note, I was informed by and X-Girlfriend (Who is a cop, :banghead: ) that without consent of the vehicles owner, police officers in Wisconsin can no longer search any vehicle even if evidence is in plain sight. I don't know how true this is, but the police do, and if you bring it up against them, they can be in the "Unlawful search and seizure" category in no time.

protias

That response is a direct contradiction to the videos in your link.

Don't talk To Cops.

:(

Anything you say can and most likely will be twisted to use against you.
Well, I say it as to answer a question. I never admitted to or denied having a firearm in my vehicle. While not talking to them is the best option, I'll stand by my statement as a backup.

M

McX

thank you to everyone for their help on this, including those who are unseen, but still exist. it hasnt happened yet, but i like to have a plan, or at least the idea of a plan. overkill? well, i went to Madison to have dinner with my friends once, and....................

protias

thank you to everyone for their help on this, including those who are unseen, but still exist. it hasnt happened yet, but i like to have a plan, or at least the idea of a plan. overkill? well, i went to Madison to have dinner with my friends once, and....................
And what? :eek:

:p

HandyHamlet

Well, I say it as to answer a question. I never admitted to or denied having a firearm in my vehicle. While not talking to them is the best option, I'll stand by my statement as a backup.

Not trying to bust your balls on this dreary Monday. Officer George Bruch says we aren't going to win in a verbal contest and to try would be like going up against a pro boxer. So I ask this with all due respect. Wouldn't the backup plan be to call your lawyer?

HandyHamlet

I am in NO WAY going to engage protius in an argument. That is NOT my intention. I'm just trying to get this straight. And I am kind of mad on this freakin' cold and dreary President's Day. The way the current admin lies just makes a mockery of the office.

sidenote: I have a sister named Tholian. Tholian May.

(God bless Kevin Matthews)

:D

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
The Nutczak book of anti-interrogation say to always reply to a question with another question, Just do not lie to them.
You have the right to not answer any questions, so use it to your advantage.

Scenario #1
Nutczak gets stopped by the po-po for some unknown reason, officer friendly asks, "Do you have any weapons in your vehicle?" my response is typically " why do you ask" or something of that nature.
The well used "Where are you coming from/going to" gets a finger pointing and saying "That way, why is that important?"

If you get the demand to step out of the vehicle, make sure all windows and doors are closed, lock the doors, and place the keys in your pocket. This will eliminate what many police are referring to now as "A terry frisk of the vehicle" With neither of you having immediate access to the vehicle, any weapon contained within it is now out of play.
I do not let any officer even reach into my vehicle, I open the window just enough during a stop to hand my DL and paperwork out, that is it.
I got stopped a week ago, I am quite sure that I have been called many colorful names when he was referring to me back at the station later that night. The stop was for "Loud exhaust" he got a surprised look on his face when I asked what the decibel reading was on my truck, and what the law says maximum decibels are. And the last time his decibel meter was calibrated. Surprisingly he stated he did not have a decibel meter, so then I asked what benchmark he used to determine that my exhaust was in fact loud, and compared to what? (I do have this on video)

M

McX

I am in NO WAY going to engage protius in an argument. That is NOT my intention. I'm just trying to get this straight. And I am kind of mad on this freakin' cold and dreary President's Day. The way the current admin lies just makes a mockery of the office.

sidenote: I have a sister named Tholian. Tholian May.

(God bless Kevin Matthews)

:D

Truly, no good news coming here; Gold and Silver, and oil going wild, terrorist state's ships in the Suez...............and the band played on!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRDg9WS7fk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVtxwFyOwRw&feature=fvst

oh, ooga-tooga, cant you hear me talking to ya?