Thread: Legalities of an M26c Taser in CA?

Question Legalities of an M26c Taser in CA?

Any good sites/pages or FAQ's about taser legalities in CA?

Does it have to be open carried? Considered a concealed weapon without a CCW?

Unless you are not a prohibited person, it is perfectly legal to open carry or conceal carry a Taser in California except in the usual locations(courts, airports etc.) No permit required, though it is a good idea to get certified in the use of one, just incase you have to go to court for tasing someone.

If you are going to get one, you should spring for the X26c. It's smaller, lighter and the trigger pull is not as heavy as on the M26c or if you have money to spend get the new X3. You can tase 3 people without having to reload. The X3 Pros and Cons:

Pros: 3 shots back to back if needed, 2 lasers that show you where each prong will hit. There's more pros but I'm too tired to list.

Cons: it will set you back about $1800 and it's on the bulky side.

http://www.taserx3.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser#United_States
    Last edited by Crazy_RJ; 02-23-2011 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Added Link

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_RJ View Post
    Unless you are not a prohibited person, it is perfectly legal to open carry or conceal carry a Taser in California except in the usual locations(courts, airports etc.) No permit required, though it is a good idea to get certified in the use of one, just incase you have to go to court for tasing someone.
    Do you have a cite more responsible than Wiki as to legality there?

If codified in California law please provide reference.
    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Do you have a cite more responsible than Wiki as to legality there?

If codified in California law please provide reference.
    California Penal Code references to "Stun Gun" or "Taser": 171.6, 171.c, 171.5, 244.5, 626.10, and 11160 (d)(12)

So what's the final answer? Any of you "not lawyers but still really law savvy" guys?
    That would be hard for me to justify buying at that price. For $1800 i can get some really nice firearms. If i chose less than lethal I'd just get really strong pepper spray.
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

I have been thinking about this as well... three shot is nice, but $1800. If it is all I can carry... GFSZ?

pepper spray wont drop someone like a taser hit will

Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    But it will blind them. Capsaicin causes your eyes to involuntarily close. If you could pry your eyes open you could see. It's also hard for someone to chase you if they can't breathe. A person is down for at least 30 minutes. It's small, cheap, effective, disposable.

For $1800 i could pay dues to the "Friends of Sheriffs" or whatever they'
    re called that Peruta joined, take a CC course, pay for my CC license, and still have some money left over.
    "If I don't have my pistol, I feel sort of naked." -Unosuke Gunfighter in the movie Yojimbo

Pepper spray is ineffective against some people and can effect other people in the area including you. A less than optimal choice IMO.

Yata hey

Pepper spray is ineffective against some people and can effect other people in the area including you. A less than optimal choice IMO.
    From an internet site..and we know the interwebs NEVER lie.
    Is it true that some people are not affected by pepper spray?
    Possibly! What you have heard about are the man made chemical compounds commonly referred to as CS or CN. These are your tear gases. For example, military personnel are subjected to similar chemicals in the course of their training to simulate a chemical attack in a war time situation. After repeated exposure, a resistance is built up so the "gas chamber," as it is called, does not affect them as much. And it's true that some people are just not as affected as others are. Other law enforcement personnel, martial artists, and yes, even determined criminals can fight through the effects of CS or CN chemical sprays.

OC pepper spray, on the other hand, has the effect of putting a brick wall in between the assailant and the sprayer. When someone gets a full blast of OC pepper spray, they stop what they are doing. They stop what they are thinking. Even people, previously mentioned that could withstand the effects of tear gas, are very personally affected by OC pepper spray. This includes people who are drunk, on drugs, or psychotic.
    I used to have a can of pepper spray that had a 20' range and was a face size stream instead of a cloud that can easly travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Lose View Post
    From an internet site..and we know the interwebs NEVER lie.

I used to have a can of pepper spray that had a 20' range and was a face size stream instead of a cloud that can easly travel.
    Those "some people" not stopped by most pepper sprays include several members of my family. Also well accepted is that many people high on drugs seem imperious to pepper spray.

Haven't seen the designations CN and CS gas in common use for a while - CS is much more powerful than CN and generally not available to the public, but neither are actually a "pepper spray." Pepper products are called OC - the designation for oleoresin capsicum. There are other chemical products that qualify as less lethal.
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/833315-overview

If you must have such a product available, look at "bear spray" though it is generally marked Not For Use On Humans. Feel free to goggle it. It is all about the concentration - the percentage of working chemicals.

Personally, I have no use for it and have no desire to load up a bat belt - I heartily endorse the KISS principle.

Yata hey

Personally, I have no use for it and have no desire to load up a bat belt - I heartily endorse the KISS principle.
    I agree a Taser is better than pepper spray but i can't justify the price. However I'm sure you'd agree that pepper spray is better than nothing.
    I have a simple equation to illustrate it.
    Taser > Pepper Spray > Nothing

"Holy Smokes Grapeshot you don't want a BatBelt" Said in 1960's Boy Wonder Voice

I UOC where i can, and if i can't I rely on my assisted opening Timberline knife.
    Last edited by Born2Lose; 02-24-2011 at 11:12 AM.

I agree a Taser is better than pepper spray but i can't justify the price. However I'm sure you'd agree that pepper spray is better than nothing.
    I have a simple equation to illustrate it.
    Taser > Pepper Spray > Nothing

"Holy Smokes Grapeshot you don't want a BatBelt" Said in 1960's Boy Wonder Voice

I UOC where i can, and if i can't I rely on my assisted opening Timberline knife.
    You may select one (1), remember your life my depend on it.

a) Nothing
    b) Pepper spray
    c) Taser
    d) 1911

I carry a 1911, 2 extra mags, assisted opening knife, digital recorder, cell phone, sometimes a flashlight, VCDL info, OC cards, sometimes a BUG.

Bat belt? Need a dang porter.

Yata hey

Quote Originally Posted by yawn View Post
    I've seen both fail miserably...

You may select one (1), remember your life my depend on it.

a) Nothing
    b) Pepper spray
    c) Taser
    d) 1911

I carry a 1911, 2 extra mags, assisted opening knife, digital recorder, cell phone, sometimes a flashlight, VCDL info, OC cards, sometimes a BUG.

Bat belt? Need a dang porter.
    That's great for VA but i can't carry a 1911 everywhere i go, and i can't afford a $1800 Taser. I guess the ultimate lesson is use the best you can as often as you can.

I carry the tornado as my backup

But it will blind them. Capsaicin causes your eyes to involuntarily close. If you could pry your eyes open you could see. It's also hard for someone to chase you if they can't breathe. A person is down for at least 30 minutes. It's small, cheap, effective, disposable.

For $1800 i could pay dues to the "Friends of Sheriffs" or whatever they'
    re called that Peruta joined, take a CC course, pay for my CC license, and still have some money left over.
    This is what you guys need :-

http://www.xfighterdefense.com/tornado

It can incapacitate your attacker for upto 6 hours an excellent product and excellent service from the xfighterdefence team. I am not affiliated with the company just a very happy consumer and repeat customer.
    "There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."

- General George S. Patton, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by EXTREMEOPS1 View Post
    This is what you guys need :-

http://www.xfighterdefense.com/tornado

It can incapacitate your attacker for upto 6 hours an excellent product and excellent service from the xfighterdefence team. I am not affiliated with the company just a very happy consumer and repeat customer.
    That has got to be advertising hyp - I don't know how any less lethal product/method that will accomplish that.

Yata hey

I use trunk monkey.

I use trunk monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundude View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy_RJ View Post

If you are going to get one, you should spring for the X26c. It's smaller, lighter and the trigger pull is not as heavy as on the M26c or if you have money to spend get the new X3. You can tase 3 people without having to reload. The X3 Pros and Cons:

Pros: 3 shots back to back if needed, 2 lasers that show you where each prong will hit. There's more pros but I'm too tired to list.

Cons: it will set you back about $1800 and it's on the bulky side.

http://www.taserx3.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser#United_States
    First my understanding is that the multiple shot tasers are for law enforcement only. Second, there is a huge con to the Taser. I was looking at a taser as well, expecially with AB144 getting closer... but Taser says at http://www.taser.com/images/download...tute-Chart.pdf

on page 7 in the blue font:

*Various California cities and municipalities may have regulations regarding stun guns and TASER ECDs, including but not limited to: Brea,
    Eureka, Hemet, Irvine, La Miranda, Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, Pismo Beach, San Bernardino, San Francisco County, San Francisco, San
    Jose, Scotts Valley, Villa Park, San Luis Obispo, Oakland and West Covina. Please be sure to check with the local government regarding the
    regulations

I didn't save my search, but I did find the penal code for Oakland and if I remember correctly, it is against the law to carry a Taser in Oakland. Wel, someone might say, fine, I won't carry in Oakland. Well, it appeared firstly that transporting was akin to carrying. Second, the above blue clause says including but not limited to. This means that I would have to check every city and county law of areas where I go/am. I mentioned Oakland because after a lot of searching, it was one of the few cities I could find laws for online. I haven't fully ruled the Taser out myself as a viable self-defense solution while on the go, but it is not like California has an open door policy to any less lethal self defense solutions.
    Last edited by yawn; 05-08-2011 at 02:47 AM.