• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legalities of an M26c Taser in CA?

DTOMSD

m26c_black_150x150.gif

Any good sites/pages or FAQ's about taser legalities in CA?

Does it have to be open carried? Considered a concealed weapon without a CCW?

Crazy_RJ

Unless you are not a prohibited person, it is perfectly legal to open carry or conceal carry a Taser in California except in the usual locations(courts, airports etc.) No permit required, though it is a good idea to get certified in the use of one, just incase you have to go to court for tasing someone.

If you are going to get one, you should spring for the X26c. It's smaller, lighter and the trigger pull is not as heavy as on the M26c or if you have money to spend get the new X3. You can tase 3 people without having to reload. The X3 Pros and Cons:

Pros: 3 shots back to back if needed, 2 lasers that show you where each prong will hit. There's more pros but I'm too tired to list.

Cons: it will set you back about $1800 and it's on the bulky side.

http://www.taserx3.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taser#United_States

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Unless you are not a prohibited person, it is perfectly legal to open carry or conceal carry a Taser in California except in the usual locations(courts, airports etc.) No permit required, though it is a good idea to get certified in the use of one, just incase you have to go to court for tasing someone.

Do you have a cite more responsible than Wiki as to legality there?

If codified in California law please provide reference.

Born2Lose

So what's the final answer? Any of you "not lawyers but still really law savvy" guys?
That would be hard for me to justify buying at that price. For $1800 i can get some really nice firearms. If i chose less than lethal I'd just get really strong pepper spray.

yawn

I have been thinking about this as well... three shot is nice, but $1800. If it is all I can carry... GFSZ?

Born2Lose

pepper spray wont drop someone like a taser hit will

But it will blind them. Capsaicin causes your eyes to involuntarily close. If you could pry your eyes open you could see. It's also hard for someone to chase you if they can't breathe. A person is down for at least 30 minutes. It's small, cheap, effective, disposable.

For $1800 i could pay dues to the "Friends of Sheriffs" or whatever they'
re called that Peruta joined, take a CC course, pay for my CC license, and still have some money left over. ;) :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Pepper spray is ineffective against some people and can effect other people in the area including you. A less than optimal choice IMO.

Born2Lose

Pepper spray is ineffective against some people and can effect other people in the area including you. A less than optimal choice IMO.
From an internet site..and we know the interwebs NEVER lie.
Is it true that some people are not affected by pepper spray?
Possibly! What you have heard about are the man made chemical compounds commonly referred to as CS or CN. These are your tear gases. For example, military personnel are subjected to similar chemicals in the course of their training to simulate a chemical attack in a war time situation. After repeated exposure, a resistance is built up so the "gas chamber," as it is called, does not affect them as much. And it's true that some people are just not as affected as others are. Other law enforcement personnel, martial artists, and yes, even determined criminals can fight through the effects of CS or CN chemical sprays.

OC pepper spray, on the other hand, has the effect of putting a brick wall in between the assailant and the sprayer. When someone gets a full blast of OC pepper spray, they stop what they are doing. They stop what they are thinking. Even people, previously mentioned that could withstand the effects of tear gas, are very personally affected by OC pepper spray. This includes people who are drunk, on drugs, or psychotic.

I used to have a can of pepper spray that had a 20' range and was a face size stream instead of a cloud that can easly travel.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
From an internet site..and we know the interwebs NEVER lie.

I used to have a can of pepper spray that had a 20' range and was a face size stream instead of a cloud that can easly travel.

Those "some people" not stopped by most pepper sprays include several members of my family. Also well accepted is that many people high on drugs seem imperious to pepper spray.

Haven't seen the designations CN and CS gas in common use for a while - CS is much more powerful than CN and generally not available to the public, but neither are actually a "pepper spray." Pepper products are called OC - the designation for oleoresin capsicum. There are other chemical products that qualify as less lethal.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/833315-overview

If you must have such a product available, look at "bear spray" though it is generally marked Not For Use On Humans. Feel free to goggle it. It is all about the concentration - the percentage of working chemicals.

Personally, I have no use for it and have no desire to load up a bat belt - I heartily endorse the KISS principle.

Born2Lose

Personally, I have no use for it and have no desire to load up a bat belt - I heartily endorse the KISS principle.

I agree a Taser is better than pepper spray but i can't justify the price. However I'm sure you'd agree that pepper spray is better than nothing.
I have a simple equation to illustrate it. :D ;)
Taser > Pepper Spray > Nothing

"Holy Smokes Grapeshot you don't want a BatBelt" Said in 1960's Boy Wonder Voice

I UOC where i can, and if i can't I rely on my assisted opening Timberline knife.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree a Taser is better than pepper spray but i can't justify the price. However I'm sure you'd agree that pepper spray is better than nothing.
I have a simple equation to illustrate it. :D ;)
Taser > Pepper Spray > Nothing

"Holy Smokes Grapeshot you don't want a BatBelt" Said in 1960's Boy Wonder Voice

I UOC where i can, and if i can't I rely on my assisted opening Timberline knife.

You may select one (1), remember your life my depend on it.

a) Nothing
b) Pepper spray
c) Taser
d) 1911

I carry a 1911, 2 extra mags, assisted opening knife, digital recorder, cell phone, sometimes a flashlight, VCDL info, OC cards, sometimes a BUG.

Bat belt? Need a dang porter.

Born2Lose

You may select one (1), remember your life my depend on it.

a) Nothing
b) Pepper spray
c) Taser
d) 1911

I carry a 1911, 2 extra mags, assisted opening knife, digital recorder, cell phone, sometimes a flashlight, VCDL info, OC cards, sometimes a BUG.

Bat belt? Need a dang porter.

That's great for VA but i can't carry a 1911 everywhere i go, and i can't afford a $1800 Taser. I guess the ultimate lesson is use the best you can as often as you can.

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
I carry the tornado as my backup

But it will blind them. Capsaicin causes your eyes to involuntarily close. If you could pry your eyes open you could see. It's also hard for someone to chase you if they can't breathe. A person is down for at least 30 minutes. It's small, cheap, effective, disposable.

For $1800 i could pay dues to the "Friends of Sheriffs" or whatever they'
re called that Peruta joined, take a CC course, pay for my CC license, and still have some money left over. ;) :lol:

This is what you guys need :-

http://www.xfighterdefense.com/tornado

It can incapacitate your attacker for upto 6 hours an excellent product and excellent service from the xfighterdefence team. I am not affiliated with the company just a very happy consumer and repeat customer.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is what you guys need :-

http://www.xfighterdefense.com/tornado

It can incapacitate your attacker for upto 6 hours an excellent product and excellent service from the xfighterdefence team. I am not affiliated with the company just a very happy consumer and repeat customer.

That has got to be advertising hyp - I don't know how any less lethal product/method that will accomplish that.