Thread: Open Carry in Mankato

Open Carry in Mankato

Anyone open carry in Mankato? I CC every day but, from my dealings with the local law enforcement in the past I have been reluctant to "poke the misinformed lion" around here.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samadams240 View Post
    Anyone open carry in Mankato? I CC every day but, from my dealings with the local law enforcement in the past I have been reluctant to "poke the misinformed lion" around here.
    Welcome aboard OCDO.

Take some time to search the forum, your question may have already been answered.

BTW - Mankato looks like a picturesque community.
    http://www.mankato-mn.gov/Default.aspx
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I spent an hour or two yesterday reading posts and I didn't find anything about Mankato. If it exists I'm missing it.

Mankato has a Preempted Oridnance on its' Books.

Public Park Conduct Ordinance 14.05 (1.000 AND 2.000) are Preempted by Minnesota Law 471.633.

Minnesota Law 471.633 is here: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=471.633

Smile

I carry 100% when i leave the house, once or twice after work.. quick trip madison ave, i'd have the gun completely open, haven't had an issue. Most the time i stay concealed. I remember one time having a smoke with a state patrol officer outside cub foods downtown, talked about ruger 22's that shorta of thing. I asked him on carry loads and he was very helpful and respectful. He even stated most people think cops don't like it, he said he supports it 100% because there can't be a cop on every corner. (Btw Mankato police and state patrol carry .40 asked him what he carries for on and off duty)

That was a state trooper, then i talked to a regular mankato city cop and i can tell he had no idea on the subject cause no one asked. At work i keep my gun in my safe in my car, so i asked him on different safes and properly storing it, He responded with "if your pulled over make sure its unloaded and in an enclosed case" I was kind of shocked he didnt' know the law on Open or concealed.. that keeping one in the pipe is legal and having it on your person is fine.

It all comes down to your personal choice of how you want to carry in kato, me i prefer concealed. I'm always on the move and hectic all the time, so being pulled over with LEO's all over me and giving them info on the law for 30mins doesn't work for me. Do i support open carry Yes 140%

I prefer to defuse a situation before it surfaces. I had a bad history of speeding tickets, 6 last couple years, got my Carry permit, sold my Radar scanner, stopped speeding.. etc.

Btw lots of places to get your permit in MN who did you go to? I went to MN Vally Training.. excellent course!
    Last edited by SillySoviet; 06-24-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySoviet View Post

Btw lots of places to get your permit in MN who did you go to? I went to MN Vally Training.. excellent course!
    You mean River Valley Training?
    Political Director - MN Gun Owners Caucus/PAC
    NRA Instructor (BP, PPITH, PPOTH, Shotshell + Metallic Reloading, RSO)
    Certified Glock Armorer - Permit to Carry Instructor - Aegis Outdoors