• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Mankato

samadams240

Anyone open carry in Mankato? I CC every day but, from my dealings with the local law enforcement in the past I have been reluctant to "poke the misinformed lion" around here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Anyone open carry in Mankato? I CC every day but, from my dealings with the local law enforcement in the past I have been reluctant to "poke the misinformed lion" around here.

Welcome aboard OCDO.

Take some time to search the forum, your question may have already been answered.

BTW - Mankato looks like a picturesque community.
http://www.mankato-mn.gov/Default.aspx

SillySoviet

I carry 100% when i leave the house, once or twice after work.. quick trip madison ave, i'd have the gun completely open, haven't had an issue. Most the time i stay concealed. I remember one time having a smoke with a state patrol officer outside cub foods downtown, talked about ruger 22's that shorta of thing. I asked him on carry loads and he was very helpful and respectful. He even stated most people think cops don't like it, he said he supports it 100% because there can't be a cop on every corner. (Btw Mankato police and state patrol carry .40 ;) asked him what he carries for on and off duty)

That was a state trooper, then i talked to a regular mankato city cop and i can tell he had no idea on the subject cause no one asked. At work i keep my gun in my safe in my car, so i asked him on different safes and properly storing it, He responded with "if your pulled over make sure its unloaded and in an enclosed case" I was kind of shocked he didnt' know the law on Open or concealed.. that keeping one in the pipe is legal and having it on your person is fine.

It all comes down to your personal choice of how you want to carry in kato, me i prefer concealed. I'm always on the move and hectic all the time, so being pulled over with LEO's all over me and giving them info on the law for 30mins doesn't work for me. Do i support open carry Yes 140%

I prefer to defuse a situation before it surfaces. I had a bad history of speeding tickets, 6 last couple years, got my Carry permit, sold my Radar scanner, stopped speeding.. etc.

Btw lots of places to get your permit in MN who did you go to? I went to MN Vally Training.. excellent course!

Last edited: