• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

2011 Open Carry Update

patriotthad

I called Rep. Fitzwater's Office today, and spoke with his Legislative Assistant, Brett. Brett informed me that the legislation had been re-written due to to language not conforming with the Representative's intent. Rep. Fitzwater wants NO PERMIT REQUIRED TO OC. So, any place you now may OC without a permit, you will still be able to do so. Any place that now bans OC will not be able to ban OC with a CCW. Sounding better.

sohighlyunlikely

It would be a small victory, but a victory none the less.

I called Rep. Fitzwater's Office today, and spoke with his Legislative Assistant, Brett. Brett informed me that the legislation had been re-written due to to language not conforming with the Representative's intent. Rep. Fitzwater wants NO PERMIT REQUIRED TO OC. So, any place you now may OC without a permit, you will still be able to do so. Any place that now bans OC will not be able to ban OC with a CCW. Sounding better.

I accept and endorse this. It is not the everything we are hoping for but it is progress toward our goal. Our loss of rights was a slow progression over time. This bill is another step in the right direction. Nothing is lost and a chance to normalize the public to OC and win our complete OC freedom is gained.

Doc

OCMO-gun-120.gif

cshoff

I won't endorse it until I see the actual language. It still sounds to me like they are approaching this the wrong way. Removing a portion of one sentence in RSMO 21.750.3 would be much, much easier than attempting write new regulations regarding OC.

kylemoul

while i wish the entire oc regulation would be dropped, sometimes you need small steps. as long as there in the right direction.

i would still like to see the "plead guilty to felony" removed from requirement to get a ccw.
my receiving stolen property charge; non violent of course; should not block me from carrying a firearm for the REST of my life.

but then again...baby steps.

cshoff

while i wish the entire oc regulation would be dropped, sometimes you need small steps. as long as there in the right direction.

i would still like to see the "plead guilty to felony" removed from requirement to get a ccw.
my receiving stolen property charge; non violent of course; should not block me from carrying a firearm for the REST of my life.

but then again...baby steps.

Did you have a guilty plea or an SIS?

kylemoul

took a guilty plea.
i think the sis was part of the deal.

im 99% sure i never got a conviction.

kylemoul

thanks.

anything to make oc better and more acceptable; as in not having to remember 91 citys oc codes!

JDW

I won't endorse it until I see the actual language. It still sounds to me like they are approaching this the wrong way. Removing a portion of one sentence in RSMO 21.750.3 would be much, much easier than attempting write new regulations regarding OC.

Agreed .

mspgunner

The "Bill"

If there is a pro-OC bill it takes more than a bill to do anything... "Lots of Co-sponsors" otherwise it never goes to committee or any where else. it's just a bill like thousands of others that jusy sit and die. 1st try, usually nothing, but there has never been such an over whelming pro-2A legislature (House and Senate) like there is now in Missouri. They can pass and over ride a veto of anything they put their collective minds to doing. Just like the Obama crowd did at the Federal level.

Tony4310

I'd much rather see baby steps than no step taken towards OC. Do I think MO will eventually be OC? Yes, I do. Will it happen over night? No, it won't. CCW was baby steps and now the laws have been reworded to be more clear and defined.

Superlite27

I'd much rather see baby steps than no step taken towards OC. Do I think MO will eventually be OC? Yes, I do. Will it happen over night? No, it won't. CCW was baby steps and now the laws have been reworded to be more clear and defined.

Uhhhh.....Missouri is OC.

It's the lack of preemption allowing a minority of obscure municipalities to enact legislation that is stricter than state law that is the problem.

sohighlyunlikely

Uhhhh.....Missouri is OC.

It's the lack of preemption allowing a minority of obscure municipalities to enact legislation that is stricter than state law that is the problem.

Yes the 18% or so of the municipalities that have some OC restrictions are in the minority but I am not sure if I would call towns like O'Fallon, St Charles and St Louis as obscure.

Per Webster, Obscure : relatively unknown

Here I will use it in a sentence: Just from looking at him you wouldn't know the obscure fact that Superlite is not a cop.

Doc