• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry may be in trouble

hrdware

From OK2A.Org

Rep. Sue Tibbs, chairman of the House Public Safety Committee, and Sen. Don Barrington, chairman of the Senate Public Safety Committee, have both decided to deny a hearing for Open Carry in Oklahoma. It looks like this session will be more of the same. That is unacceptable.

This week, OK2A and other conservative groups will be working to force leadership to listen to the people and stop holding up good Second Amendment legislation. But we need you to make phone calls and send emails to Rep. Tibbs and Speaker Steele and to Senator Barrington and the Senate President Pro Tempore Bingman. Please tell them that Oklahoma needs to be an Open Carry state.

Even liberal states like California, Massachusetts, and Washington have open carry laws. There is no excuse for Oklahoma to not be an Open Carry state, yet we are one of only seven states to infringe upon this Constitutionally protected right. Perhaps our elected officials need to be reminded that the Second Amendment to the US Constitution says, “…The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” The Second Amendment restriction against government infringement of the people’s right applies to all levels of government, including our state legislature. Please call or email the people listed below and tell them to make Oklahoma an Open Carry state. Also, please forward this email to anyone you know who is a supporter of the Second Amendment and ask them to do the same.

Speaker Steele: (405) 557-7345 or krissteele@okhouse.gov

Representative Tibbs: (405) 557-7379 or suetibbs@okhouse.gov

Your Representative: the House Switchboard number is (405) 521-2711 or (800) 522-8502 – if you are unsure who your Representative is you can find out at www.lsb.state.ok.us. If you know who your Representative is and want to find his or her direct line or email address, you may find it at this link, as well.

Senate President Pro Tempore Bingman: (405) 521-5528 or bingman@oksenate.gov

Senator Barrington: (405) 521-5563 or barrington@oksenate.gov

Your Senator: the Senate Switchboard number is (405) 524-0126 – if you are unsure who your Senator is you can find out at www.lsb.state.ok.us. If you know who your Senator is and want to find his or her direct line or email address, you may find it at this link, as well.

Rep Sue Tibbs did the same thing last year but there was enough contact she finally held a hearing on it. Please contact these people and let them know that the citizens of Oklahoma want these bills heard and our reps should not use their position of power to sweep them under the rug.

Last edited:

Mirge

Just emailed all of my legislators.

Representative David Brumbaugh (Republican)
Senator Mike Mazzei (Republican)
Representative John Sullivan (Republican)
Senator James M. Inhofe (Republican)
Senator Tom A. Coburn (Republican)

So, what happens now? How do we override their decision?

Last edited:

hrdware

Also send email to these people:

Speaker of the House Kris Steele:
(405) 557-7345 or krissteele@okhouse.gov

The chairman of the Public Safety Committee in the House (who is against open carry)
Representative Sue Tibbs: (405) 557-7379 or suetibbs@okhouse.gov

The chairman of the Public Safety Committee in the Senate

I have contacted my local legislators to see if there is anything else that can be done other than sending the above mentioned people messages. Other than letting everyone who cares about this issue know, I will let you know what I hear.

Last edited:

Mirge

Speaker of the House Kris Steele:
(405) 557-7345 or krissteele@okhouse.gov

The chairman of the Public Safety Committee in the House (who is against open carry)
Representative Sue Tibbs: (405) 557-7379 or suetibbs@okhouse.gov

The chairman of the Public Safety Committee in the Senate

I have contacted my local legislators to see if there is anything else that can be done other than sending the above mentioned people messages. Other than letting everyone who cares about this issue know, I will let you know what I hear.

Done.

hrdware

Hb1400

HB1400 is one of the bills that would have allowed open carry. I contacted the author of the bill yesterday and was told that the Speakers office was saying there would be no hearing on this bill. :cuss:

hrdware

Discharge Petition

Open Carry Discharge Petition Info
Rep Sue Tibbs had decided not to hear HB1400, a bill that would allow open carry in Oklahoma. If at least 68 reps sign the discharge petition for HB1400, then the bill will move from committee to the floor.

According to the article, leadership is strong arming reps to not sign the petition. If you are interested in Open Carry contact your representative and let them know you expect them to sign the discharge petition.

Rep Tibbs is planning on having hearings on 3 firearm bills, one that would allow carry on technology center campus, one allowing concealed carry on college campus for faculty and staff, and her own open carry bill which would be concealed with the open option.

Mirge

Thank you for contacting me about the Second Amendment. As your voice in Washington, I appreciate being made aware of your views.

When I was sworn in after being elected to the Congress, I took an oath to uphold and defend the Constitution. The Second Amendment reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The intent of the legislation at the time it was adopted was crystal clear. The Founding Fathers included the Second Amendment because they believed a well-armed populace was the ultimate check on the power of the federal government. If one were to argue the Second Amendment does not prevent the federal government from abridging the individual right of citizens to own a gun, the second half of the Amendment is rendered meaningless.

Thomas Jefferson wrote in Commonplace Book, "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

I am very satisfied that the United States Supreme Court ruled in 2008 in a landmark 5-4 decision (District of Columbia v. Heller) that the Washington D.C. gun ban is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court also positively affirmed that "(t)he Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

Before the Supreme Court heard this case, I joined former Vice President Cheney, 54 other Senators, and 250 Members of the House of Representatives - including all members of the Oklahoma delegation - in submitting an amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to hold that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess firearms.

Recently, the Supreme Court heard another Second Amendment case (McDonald v. City of Chicago) regarding Chicago's handgun ban. Fortunately, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the Second Amendment applies to state and local government gun laws. I signed another amicus brief filed in McDonald, asking the Supreme Court to affirm that the right to keep and bear arms applies to state and local governments through the Fourteenth Amendment. You will be interested to know that when I signed the amicus brief in District of Colombia v. Heller, it had the support of more Members of Congress than any other amicus brief in history. I am now pleased to say the amicus brief filed in McDonald v. City of Chicago has even more signatories, with a total of 251 Members of the House of Representatives and 58 Senators signing on to the brief.

As your Senator, I will continue to strongly oppose any effort to undermine the Second Amendment and an individual citizen's right to keep and bear arms. Again, thank you for your comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

James M. Inhofe
United States Senator

this was only one of TWO responses I got. The other one was a generic "thank you for your comments" reply.

gprod55

Discharge petition

Open Carry Discharge Petition Info
Rep Sue Tibbs had decided not to hear HB1400, a bill that would allow open carry in Oklahoma. If at least 68 reps sign the discharge petition for HB1400, then the bill will move from committee to the floor.

According to the article, leadership is strong arming reps to not sign the petition. If you are interested in Open Carry contact your representative and let them know you expect them to sign the discharge petition.

Rep Tibbs is planning on having hearings on 3 firearm bills, one that would allow carry on technology center campus, one allowing concealed carry on college campus for faculty and staff, and her own open carry bill which would be concealed with the open option.

Rep Reynolds and Rep Terrill both initiated the discharge petition. My representative Terrill was the 1st to sign it. Git her done Oklahoma

xd shooter

Somewhat off topic, but Sen Inhofe was also instrumental in taking away the FAA's power to regulate Model Aircraft.

You guys vote the good ones in down in Okie land!! :):)

OldCurlyWolf

Just emailed all of my legislators.

Representative David Brumbaugh (Republican)
Senator Mike Mazzei (Republican)
Representative John Sullivan (Republican)
Senator James M. Inhofe (Republican)
Senator Tom A. Coburn (Republican)

So, what happens now? How do we override their decision?

You are lucky. Both of my State reps are demoncrats. I would dearly love to send them both back to their real jobs. :banghead::cuss: