• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Students in Texas may be free to bring guns to class under new laws

zack991

Students in Texas could soon be allowed to bring their guns into class under new legislation the notoriously gun-friendly state is poised to adopt.

More than half the state's senators have signed the bill, which is widely expected to be passed.

If the law goes through, it will add weight to a growing national campaign for students to carry firearms as a defence against college shootings like the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre.

I don't ever want to see repeated on a Texas college campus what happened at Virginia Tech, where some deranged, suicidal madman goes into a building and is able to pick off totally defenceless kids like sitting ducks.'

It would allow the state's 500,000 students - and its professors - to carry concealed handguns in its 38 public universities.

More than 450,000 Texans already carry a gun under a law passed in 1995, which allows over-21s to do so if they have a permit.

And Texas Governor Rick Perry, who has said he sometimes carries his pistol while jogging, is reportedly in favour of the idea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-allowed-bring-guns-class.html#ixzz1Ecwf2RwQ

MKEgal

A good place for the phrases
"Think of the children"
&
"If it saves just one life"

Oh, good grief! Did you read what the Brady Bunch rep said?
Now the assistant director of federal legislation for the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence, Mr Goddard visited Austin last month to lobby against the bill.
He said: "People tell me that if they would have been there, they would have shot that guy. That offends me."
(Goddard is one of the VA Tech survivors.)
It 'offends' him that people would have stood up for themselves, stopping a mass murder in progress?
It 'offends' him?!?!?
Look, fella, I'm sorry you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, but stop trying to subdue other people to make up for what happened to you.

Last edited:

KBCraig

This will only apply to those who hold a Texas CHL. Out-of-state licenses will not be recognized under this law.

It's some of the most convoluted language I've ever seen in a Texas bill. Instead of clarifying the places weapons are prohibited so that post-secondary public schools aren't included, this adds pages of text to Government Code 411.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Oh, good grief! Did you read what the Brady Bunch rep said?

Now the assistant director of federal legislation for the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence, Mr Goddard visited Austin last month to lobby against the bill.
He said: "People tell me that if they would have been there, they would have shot that guy. That offends me."

(Goddard is one of the VA Tech survivors.)

So am I! But I graduated a coupld of decades before the massacre...

It 'offends' him that people would have stood up for themselves, stopping a mass murder in progress?
It 'offends' him?!?!?

Look, fella, I'm sorry you were in the wrong place at the wrong time, but stop trying to subdue other people to make up for what happened to you.

Agreed 100%, MKEgal. Goddard is an utter fool. He's apparently "offended" by the statistical liklihood that half of his 32 schoolmates would have died if an armed student or teacher had intervened. Was he in league with Cho? Is he "offended" that more students didn't die that day?

I'm offended Goddard ever graduated from Virginia Tech, a land grant college with a long history and tradition of training and supporting our nation's military, and of supporting and defending our Constitution.

I have written him three times, from one Va Tech alumni to another, and all three times he has ignored my letters, as I'm sure he does with anyone who refuses to buy into his employer's (the Brady Bunch) mind-warping rhetoric.

Goddard has prostituted himself, the honor of our school, and the memories of those who died in that tragedy out to an organization that is fundamentally against the principles upon which our nation was founded.

I'd salute both the survivors and the fallen of that great tragedy, but I wouldn't waste my spit on Goddard himself. I'd gladly give him a swift kick in the a..., although it might take more than fifty to dislodge his head.

Last edited: