Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 119

Thread: Don't let your children draw pictures of guns...

  1. #1
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879

    Don't let your children draw pictures of guns...

    Or they may be arrested. It is UNBELIEVABLE what is happening in this country when it comes to "political correctness."

    http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-arvada...,7099823.story

    SNIP:

    ARVADA, Colo. -- An 11-year-old Arvada boy was arrested and hauled away in handcuffs for drawing stick figures in school, something his therapist told him to do.

    His parents say they understand what he did was inappropriate, but are outraged by the way Arvada Police handled the case. The parents do not want their real names used.

    They say “Tim” is being treated for ADD and his therapist told him to draw pictures when got upset, rather than disrupt the class. So that’s what he did. Last October, he drew stick figures of himself with a gun, pointed at four other stick figures with the words “teacher must die.”


    ......--Moderator Edited--
    Shortened to better fit Fair Use standard
    .

  2. #2
    Regular Member usamarshal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    252
    Your son has been arrest for drawing with the intent to kill...haha...I guess hollywood better watch out or they'll be next...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    That article does not match the intent of the thread title......


    Arrest for a threat such as that is appropriate. Sorry.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  4. #4
    Regular Member AaronS's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,497
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    That article does not match the intent of the thread title......


    Arrest for a threat such as that is appropriate. Sorry.
    I'm not so sure that any arrest was needed, but with stuff like "he drew stick figures of himself with a gun, pointed at four other stick figures with the words “teacher must die.”", I do have to say that this kid and his family do need to be looked at. This is just "not right" to me. I can only hope this kid (and his family) gets the much needed help ASAP.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronS View Post
    I'm not so sure that any arrest was needed, but with stuff like "he drew stick figures of himself with a gun, pointed at four other stick figures with the words “teacher must die.”", I do have to say that this kid and his family do need to be looked at. This is just "not right" to me. I can only hope this kid (and his family) gets the much needed help ASAP.
    I am not sure an arrest was needed either. But, it was appropriate.

    Uttering a threat should not be taken lightly.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    That's Horrible.. But this type of stuff will only get worse & more common until the .Gov is RESET, The Liberal Political Correctness has destroyed this once FREE country. Now your not FREE to draw stick figures when your 11 years old. Freedom of speech ???? Your right we have no REAL freedoms anymore, they have all been deemed radical according to the DHS.
    America is DEAD.

    Life, Liberty & the Persuit of happiness ......that 11 year old was persuing happiness..Through Drawing.

    This Crap makes me ****** sick ! You now you reside in a police state when the Police cuff & arrest a little 11 year old boy for drawing a picture ! AMERIKA !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4UHIACEN0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuBxFmwEgjQ

    It's happening here in this country & most can't see it or are too BLIND to see it !
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 02-22-2011 at 11:27 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  7. #7
    McX
    Guest
    yep, the politically correct leftist smear continues, just as it has in the past; not that i know anything about this, but i heard tell of a guy who got fired from his job, so they could give it to a temp, at half the wages, and to cover the firing, the company launched a smear campaign against the guy, since he owned guns, they labelled him a terrorist, using their loyal minions, who sicked the cops on him, who wanted him to go get counseling, and give his guns to them, for 'safe keeping'............not that i know anything about this.

  8. #8
    Regular Member VW_Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leesburg, GA
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    That article does not match the intent of the thread title......


    Arrest for a threat such as that is appropriate. Sorry.
    Care to explain why you think this way?

  9. #9
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    I am not sure an arrest was needed either. But, it was appropriate.


    And the award for best contradiction of the day goes to...!

    or

    I want one coffee black. With sugar and cream.

    or

    Nice to meet you. No it isn't. Yes it is! No it isn't! Yes it is! Shut up! No YOU shut up! No YOU shut up! No....


    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 02-22-2011 at 12:04 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  10. #10
    Regular Member dbhsig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Socialist Republic of Maryland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Excuse me, but the Arvada, Colo. police would like a word with you about this picture.

  11. #11
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhsig View Post
    Excuse me, but the Arvada, Colo. police would like a word with you about this picture.
    Given the totality of the circumstances the Avatard, Co. Police would have to conclude the author of the post in question was only a danger to himself. Therefore a minor frontal Lobotomy would be appropriate and warranted.
    Last edited by HandyHamlet; 02-22-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  12. #12
    Regular Member dbhsig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Socialist Republic of Maryland
    Posts
    20
    Seriously, this kid is very sick and he is under treatment by a therapist. He should be made aware that threats like this are a serious matter. But, arresting an 11 year-old kid for a drawing is beyond any reasoned thought. The police are way out of line on this.

  13. #13
    Regular Member dbhsig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Socialist Republic of Maryland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    Given the totality of the circumstances the Avatard, Co. Police would have to conclude the author of the post in question was only a danger to himself. Therefore a minor frontal Lobotomy would be appropriate and warranted.
    LOL!!

  14. #14
    Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North Chesterfield, Va.
    Posts
    34,614
    A bit off topic perhaps, but there is a gem of wisdom at the end of the article:

    "And if they had known that their son’s cooperation would be used as evidence against him, they would have hired a lawyer at the beginning and exercised his right to remain silent."
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

    Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    That's Horrible.. But this type of stuff will only get worse & more common until the .Gov is RESET, The Liberal Political Correctness has destroyed this once FREE country. Now your not FREE to draw stick figures when your 11 years old. Freedom of speech ???? Your right we have no REAL freedoms anymore, they have all been deemed radical according to the DHS.
    America is DEAD.

    Life, Liberty & the Persuit of happiness ......that 11 year old was persuing happiness..Through Drawing.!
    No, he was not simply drawing stick figures. He uttered a threat.

    This incident is not an example of 'PC gone bad through 0 Tolerance.' It is a specific case of a youth crossing the line into threats against life. Had it only been stick figures, or even just a gun, I see no avenue for the actions that were taken. Given that there was a specific threat to life, I see a direct avenue for the actions that were taken.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    Care to explain why you think this way?
    I have.


    Care to explain why you ignore my explanation?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyHamlet View Post
    And the award for best contradiction of the day goes to...!
    I will provide an analogy to attempt to clear up your misunderstanding of my post.


    If a cop pulls over someone for speeding, writing a ticket for the infraction is appropriate.

    But, writing a ticket for the infraction is not always needed.

    It isn't a contradiction to state that an action is appropriate, but not needed.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    No, he was not simply drawing stick figures. He uttered a threat.

    This incident is not an example of 'PC gone bad through 0 Tolerance.' It is a specific case of a youth crossing the line into threats against life. Had it only been stick figures, or even just a gun, I see no avenue for the actions that were taken. Given that there was a specific threat to life, I see a direct avenue for the actions that were taken.
    He is 11. you know a little kid, remember when you were 11 ??? were you mature enough to know what you were doing ??? did you have emotional issues as this child does ???? He was doing as instructed by his Therapist. Anyone that agree's with the actions that were taken against this little kid are Completely LOST & FURTHER MORE YOU ARE THE REASON THAT THIS POLICE STATE WE LIVE IN WILL ENDURE FOR ALONG TIME ! Time to stand up for a little kid. What the Police did was WRONG !! Did you ever think that the Police arresting this now FRIGHTENED little kid will be more harmful to him than just sending him home for the day ??!!! Maybe now he get's to spend time in JAIL or Juvenal hall, maybe this little 11 year old got strip searched in Jail, or raped by another Juvenile inmate, more than likely he will be more screwed up NOW than he ever was before... Possible he could have been saved..but not now.
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 02-22-2011 at 12:40 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    He is 11. you know a little kid, remember when you were 11 ??? were you mature enough to know what you were doing ??? did you have emotional issues as this child does ???? He was doing as instructed by his Therapist. Anyone that agree's with the actions that were taken against this little kid are Completely LOST & FURTHER MORE YOU ARE THE REASON THAT THIS POLICE STATE WE LIVE IN WILL ENDURE FOR ALONG TIME ! Time to stand up for a little kid. What the Police did was WRONG !! Did you ever think that the Police arresting this now FRIGHTENED little kid will be more harmful to him than just sending him home for the day ??!!! Maybe now he get's to spend time in JAIL or Juvenal hall, maybe this little 11 year old got strip searched in Jail, or raped by another Juvenile inmate, more than likely he will be more screwed up NOW than he ever was before... Possible he could have been saved..but not now.
    Hyperbole.


    Unfortunately, I must stand on the specific that death threats are serious business. Once again, this isn't about simply drawing pictures of guns. This is about a threat to life.

    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Don't let your children draw pictures of guns...
    Or they may be arrested.
    This was the premise presented by the OP.

    It is a false premise, given the facts.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-22-2011 at 12:44 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  20. #20
    Regular Member HandyHamlet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Terra, Sol
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post

    ....
    {slowly backing out door, hands visible, DO NOT make eye contact, repeat, DO NOT make eye contact}
    "Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties."
    Abraham Lincoln

    "Some time ago, a bunch of lefties defied the law by dancing at the Jefferson Memorial, resulting in their arrests. Last week, a bunch of them pulled the same stunt and - using patented Lefist techniques - provoked the Park Police into having to use force to arrest them."
    Alexcabbie

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    89
    The part that gets me about this is when I was 11 damn near 20 years ago, every one of my friends and I used to draw stuff like this all the time. I remember writing works of fiction, albeit poorly, about my friends and I being assassins and taking out all manner of people, teachers included. I even submitted some of these for writing assignments and got fantastic grades on them. My mother was never contacted for the content, let alone the police for a cuff and stuff. And I promise these stories were much more graphic than this kid's inane drawings.

    The point is, we do live in a completely different world now. Of course, a number of precautions we have are warranted; Twenty years ago it was unheard of for someone to barge into a school and open fire on students and educators. Columbine changed it, absolutely. But was this necessary? Absolutely not. I could have gotten a gun just as easily 20 years ago as this kid could today; just because you can doesn't mean that you will. And saying he is deeply troubled or even accusing him of ADD is preposterous.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fallon, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    5,580
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGdude View Post
    The part that gets me about this is when I was 11 damn near 20 years ago, every one of my friends and I used to draw stuff like this all the time. I remember writing works of fiction, albeit poorly, about my friends and I being assassins and taking out all manner of people, teachers included. I even submitted some of these for writing assignments and got fantastic grades on them. My mother was never contacted for the content, let alone the police for a cuff and stuff. And I promise these stories were much more graphic than this kid's inane drawings.

    The point is, we do live in a completely different world now. Of course, a number of precautions we have are warranted; Twenty years ago it was unheard of for someone to barge into a school and open fire on students and educators. Columbine changed it, absolutely. But was this necessary? Absolutely not. I could have gotten a gun just as easily 20 years ago as this kid could today; just because you can doesn't mean that you will. And saying he is deeply troubled or even accusing him of ADD is preposterous.
    Huh?

    From the article:
    is being treated for ADD
    People aren't accusing him of ADD. Apparently, he was already diagnosed with it, and has been seeing a professional about it.
    Last edited by wrightme; 02-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Baraboo, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    89
    Admittedly, I did not read the article.

    Admittedly, there is nothing anyone can say to me that will make me think ADD is a real disorder instead of just an excuse for over-medication of today's children. I'm not old enough to start saying "back in my day", but when I was 11, it didn't exist, and when you were 11 it didn't exist.

    I'll blame it on Generation X's crummy parenting and overall lack of discipline, despite being a member. Of the generation, not of the parents.

    Also, if what you bolded is the only thing you find wrong with my post, then everyone in this thread is on much more similar ground than previously thought. Stop nit-picking each other and get back to the topic at hand.
    Last edited by SIGdude; 02-22-2011 at 01:42 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by wrightme View Post
    I am not sure an arrest was needed either. But, it was appropriate.

    Uttering a threat should not be taken lightly.
    He drew it, then went to throw it out. Teacher stopped him and considered it a threat. School did not but then the POLICE did. WTF.

    So what's next? What if he said "I'd like to kill the teacher?" Arrest him? What if that was heard out of context as in "That guy on TV said 'I'd like to kill the teacher.'" Then what's next? Can't say the word 'kill' in school? I'll tell you what, keep letting these bastards do this to our kids and they'll all be institutionalized before they are 15.

    It's plain to me that the police went above and beyond to start this kid off on a bad track at age 11. If the child had problems before with authority, this situation did nothing to help him.

  25. #25
    Regular Member dbhsig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Socialist Republic of Maryland
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    He is 11. you know a little kid, remember when you were 11 ??? were you mature enough to know what you were doing ??? did you have emotional issues as this child does ????
    Herein lies the issue with me - the kid is 11. And, if you read the article it states: "The school was aware that the boy was in treatment, determined he was not a threat, notified his parents and sent him back to class." So, the school system did not deem this child a threat to society. Who siced the cops on him after the fact? This is not as cut and dried as it appears. And, from reading the comments related to the article, it doesn't appear to be doing the police public relations any favors.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •