• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't let your children draw pictures of guns...

Twiztid Angel

:lol: That was my reaction.

Seriously, though, for the record: Twiztid Angel, I was just giving you a hard time. I have been known to give substantive advice on rare occasion, but I don't really need to call people out for minor mistakes and/or typos. I just couldn't resist in this once instance. ;) And I was only doing it to rib you a little.

Hey Im only human...bad when I have to correct my children when they do it but then do it myself...I harbor no bad feelings as I think I showed in my post with :lol:;):cool: instead of these :cuss::banghead::cry::mad:......tehehehe

Just remember I may talk slow but darned-it I can type like the lightning LOL:p

Last edited:

Jack House

Has it not donned on anyone that whether or not the alleged should be taken seriously, that is course of action was seriously heavy handed and only teaches the child to bottle up and fear authority as an enemy and someone to avoid?
eusa_think.gif

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Has it not donned on anyone that whether or not the alleged should be taken seriously, that is course of action was seriously heavy handed and only teaches the child to bottle up and fear authority as an enemy and someone to avoid?

Evidently, some people are more concerned with exercising authority than with doing the right thing.

Last edited:

Jack House

Pretty sure that there was no intent to threaten anyone. This is pretty much a though crime. It was a thought the kid expressed on paper and did not intend for anyone else to see, evidenced by his attempt to throw it away.

BobF

My God, how ridiculous!! I know times have changed, but arresting an 11 year old for drawing a picture is beyond the pale. A long time ago, when I was a kid, we actually played with toy guns that you could load with "caps" and when you pulled the trigger, they popped. Anyone else remember these? And we used to point them at each other and shoot each other. (Gasp!!) The one "shot" would fall down dead and lay there for a minute or two, then get up and we would act out another scenario. You know what? None of us has ever shot or theatened to shoot anyone yet. We all understood it was just play; our parents and other adults didn't pay any attention to us. They knew we were just kids, playing. There were even holsters for the toy guns, sheriff's badges, etc. We had a lot of fun and none of us ever took it seriously, we knew it was play. There is the crux of the matter: thanks to the media and tv, kids today are confused as to what is real and what is not, what is play and make believe. That and all the anti gun propoganda. Hell, I had MY OWN .22 rifle when I was 10; went hunting with my grandfather. Never pointed it at anything that wasn't potential food. Parents and other adults spent more time actually raising their kids and keeping tabs on what they were doing than parents today seem to do. Raising your children was actually deemed a worthwhile endeavor. Now before you flame me, please understand I am NOT saying that all or even many parents neglect or ignore their children. I'm not saying that at all. But we live in much busier times and sometimes it seems that raising kids is just another activity, like you job, or a leisure time activity. I don't know exactly how to put it. It no longer seems like the central theme of family life, just something to be squeezed into the day. If you doubt me, take a look at our overflowing jails and prisons. Funny how those of us that grew up in very involved families never ended up in one of those. I am NOT slamming anyone on here or anywhere else. It has been proven that there is a direct correlation between lack of good parenting and crime. I was more afraid of my parents than the police! We live in a faster world and also a world where we have the opportunity to do so many things, get involved in so many activities, both as children and adults. How can you possibly have any quality family time when everyone goes their separate ways all the time? We ate breakfast and dinner together, as a family. Lunch we were at school and parents were working. I know I have gotten OT here, but I feel this is related to the topic. If this kid had drawn a picture like this back when I was a kid, it wouldn't have gotten a second glance.

Hi Ruby. I well remember those great days. I also carried a .22 rifle and ammo to school on buses and subways to train and compete in authorized high school team shooting. I was never stopped or questioned by anyone at all. Bob.

XD40coyote

LMAO at that song! I'd never heard that before, must have been a bit before my time. I did a parody of the HS song from my 12th grade school ( I went to 3 dif HS), since someone shot a hole in the water tower TWICE that year. Can't recall the actual school song lyrics, but mine went " raise your rifles..." LOL. In 6th grade or so some boys changed lyrics of religious songs we had to sing ( catholic school), one was "he will raise you up on eagle's wings", and they would sing it " he will eat you up on eagle's wings". They also used to try to outdo eachother with these gore drawings of people full of knives and stuff, with guts hanging out and blood everywhere. I think the most trouble they got was a detention slip if the teacher found the drawings in connection to class disruption.

the lyrics (part1): My eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord: He has trampled out the vintage where the grapes of wrath are stored; He has loosed the fateful lightning of His terrible swift sword: His truth is marching on! Glory, Glory, Hallelujah! Teacher hit me with a ruler I met her at the door with a loaded .44 And she ain't gonna teach no more!

the lyrics (part2): My eyes have seen the glory of the burning of the school We have butchered every teacher we have broken every rule we plan to hang the principal tomorrow after school as we go marching on! Glory, Glory, Hallelujah! Teacher sed we couldn't fool her I met her in the addict (? not sure) with a German automatic and all my grades improved!

the lyrics (part3): Glory, Glory, Hallelujah! All those drugs do something to ya! The nurse gives you a pill and then you run around and kill! And they put you on TV!

since9

Campaign Veteran
You'd probably be executed on the spot for "officer safety" if you sang this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ54yJfLhHk&feature=related

Good grief! I didn't think I'd remember the words from fifth grade. Well, at least the first two stanzas. Back then the teachers simply chuckled and told us to change the song or stop singing.

These days? The kid would be expelled. I wonder when they're going to outlaw pencils as being a sharp and dangerous weapon?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm not so sure that any arrest was needed, but with stuff like "he drew stick figures of himself with a gun, pointed at four other stick figures with the words “teacher must die.”", I do have to say that this kid and his family do need to be looked at. This is just "not right" to me. I can only hope this kid (and his family) gets the much needed help ASAP.

I disagree. It's probably the teacher who needs some attention. Some teachers are jerks! So long as kids sit in their places with nice shiny faces, they avoid a teacher's wrath. ADD kids have great difficulty doing that, and if the teacher is slamming down on him simply because his brain is wired a bit differently, who's fault is that? The teacher is the adult, here. Kids, even ADD/ADHD kids, don't vent anger towards others unless there's a certain other who's getting on their case unfairly.

I know. My son is ADD/ADHD. I've had to rule him with a firm hand, but I don't do so unfairly, and I make dang sure he knows, through real and tangible means, that I and his mother love him dearly and want the best for him. The only time I've seen him hold anger towards an adult is when that adult treats him unfairly, like the time he was suspended in school for pushing back at a kid who shoved him out of line. The teacher in charge saw both shoves. The other kid was the principal's son and received no punishment at all. My son was out of school for three days!

My son was angry at the teacher who gave him a suspension for a month! And rightfully so.

Now, if he's started drawing "teacher must die" diagrams, he and I would have a few talks, including the fact that yes, it was not fair for him to be suspended while the other kid wasn't, but that sometimes life isn't fair. We'd work through some creative ways to get over life's unfairness, including what we did work on: Acing the spelling bee, as the other kid was favored to win (small class), yet my son overcame the disappointment and beat him on another front.

When I was in six grade, I was picked on a lot simply because I'd been taught (wrongly, I believe) that any sort of reaction was wrong and/or inappropriate. One day, while playing softball during P.E., I let a bat fly at the pitcher who was taunting me in a very unsportsmanlike manner. Needless to say, it raised eyebrows, but not too many, as it was "school policy" (also wrong, in my opinion) to never intervene when kids were taunting, picking on, or bullying one another, that it was better to let them work things out.

Well, when adults refuse to get involved, things will usually escalate until some kid is pushed too far and throws a bat! Or draws a picture. Or some such.

The solution by the coach who witnessed me throw the bat was start doing more aggressive, one-on-one sports, such as wrestling. Turns out he knew what he was doing, as well as the fact I was strong and capable, as I out-wrestled every boy in my class.

After that, the taunts and bullying stopped.

These days, there doesn't seem to be teachers and coaches who actually think any more, who attempt to pull back the covers and find out what's really going on. These days I've have been suspended from school, and none of the bullies would have been given a second glance. The bullying would have only become worse.

Note to teachers and school administrators: You have GOT to look deeper, to find out what's really going on. Stopping at a diagnosis of ADD/ADHD isn't the answer, either, as these kids don't explode until someone else lights the fuse and fans it into flame. It almost always has to do with someone else getting on their case unfairly or otherwise overreacting to them.

wrightme

Glory, Glory, Hallelujah! Teacher hit me with a ruler

We used to sing this one in the 60's too. But it was known to have teachers that still did that then. Just barely.

Teachers were just losing the option of corporal punishment in those days.

XD40coyote

My dad had nuns and brothers slapping kids with rulers. Catholic schools- and I think he said that required reading in 5th grade or so was a book on some saint who was tortured to death by american Indians, and the book was in very graphic detail.

ADD- I don't seem to recall kids like this when I was in school, unless it was the ones that got D's, but I recall they acted pretty lazy too. There was a boy who I think was dyslexic, he always had reading problems. Aspergers- one boy who may have had it. Girls with aspergers, me LOL ( note it shows differently in girls- we can have empathy). I was way different than the other girls. In 8th grade the popular girls actually had a non bullying discussion with me about shaving my hairy legs, as if they were concerned for me. I tended to not have friends, and rejection is frequent in my life. Obsessions occured and occur.

So is ADD something new?

Bullies- I used to have terrible fantasies about what to do to them. None involved a shooting spree. More like having them eaten by monsters or me beating the crap out of them. Or a big statue of Jesus falls on them. I dunno, I am slowly forgetting the "bad" of my childhood.

The news media wouldn't shut up about the "first" school shooting in 1989. It was so much coverage and editorializing that my 17 year old brain was soaked through and through. I had to watch the news every night and read the paper daily as part of a class requirement. Those news heads were chattering like squirrels. If the news folks would just shut the f up, maybe all the mayhem that came later wouldn't have. I still have a scrapbook from the early 90's full of newspaper clippings related to gun control and "assault weapons" ( ummm aspergers obsession).

Take a closer look at Hollywood too. Take note of movie posters with guns in them. Take note of how cop action shows are advertised. Take note of the violence portrayed in film fiction, and how it is portrayed. Ironic that these creative folks will use the gun to make a living, yet will turn around and say they "hate gun violence and guns".

sharkey

I can't say we ever took what they drew as a threat even though we would get thrown off of buildings or run over by cars in there drawings (this was children who were more Asbergers than straight Autism). There intent was not to actually do those things but to let anger out over there frustrations.

Sorry, inappropriate. I couldn't resist. My big one is you instead of your, of instead of off. I miss that last letter a lot.

Last edited:

sharkey

The absolute height of rhetorical irony is the ubiquitous "Your an idiot!"

I was worried I wrote your (sic) an idiot somewhere. I panicked for a second, now I am an idiot. I almost dropped another letter too.

eye95

I was worried I wrote your (sic) an idiot somewhere. I panicked for a second, now I am an idiot. I almost dropped another letter too.

No, I know you would never say any such thing, mainly because I've never seen you call anyone an idiot. I just love that particular sentence (which has become something of an Internet staple) because it makes folks wonder who the real idiot is!

Gunslinger

Or they may be arrested. It is UNBELIEVABLE what is happening in this country when it comes to "political correctness."

http://www.kdvr.com/news/kdvr-arvad...stick-figure-drawing-20110221,0,7099823.story

SNIP:

ARVADA, Colo. -- An 11-year-old Arvada boy was arrested and hauled away in handcuffs for drawing stick figures in school, something his therapist told him to do.

His parents say they understand what he did was inappropriate, but are outraged by the way Arvada Police handled the case. The parents do not want their real names used.

They say “Tim” is being treated for ADD and his therapist told him to draw pictures when got upset, rather than disrupt the class. So that’s what he did. Last October, he drew stick figures of himself with a gun, pointed at four other stick figures with the words “teacher must die.”

......--Moderator Edited--
Shortened to better fit Fair Use standard

I wonder if they sent the heroic swat in their clown suits to subdue this potentially pre-Columbine mass murderer? Exactly what law was he breaking? I'm not aware of anything in the CRSA that makes it a crime to draw stick figures. CO can be as ****** up as a slave state, at times. The illegal immigrants I worry the most about are from kalifornia. My fondest wish is to read one day that Denver fell into a sink hole and the wind immediately covered it up. And Boulder residents threw themselves into the Pueblo reservoir as a tribute.

Last edited: