Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help a newbie out - recently turned 18 and plan to open carry soon

help a newbie out - recently turned 18 and plan to open carry soon

I didn't know where else to post. Anyways.

I have recently turned 18 and plan to open carry soon, but first I would like to be aware of the laws and technicalities of carrying a firearm. I'm already very experienced with hand guns as I've shot them all my life. But ill cut to the chase, btw I'm in Virginia. Since I cannot get a ccw for another 3 years I have to open carry, my question is this, am I allowed to conceal my extra magazines if I lack a ccw?

IANAL, but since mags aren't weapons, there should not be an issue.

However you might want to post in the VA specific forum located at the bottom of the forum index for information specific to your location.

Welcome to the Virginia section. Yes, such questions really need the attention of the particular state, since that which is legal and commonplace in Virginia can get you a felony count in New Jersey, Maryland or any of the other states that abhor gun rights. I have not run into any law regarding "magazine carry" in Virginia except that in certain counties and municipalities, having a loaded magazine, holding in excess of 20 rounds, in a firearm, is only legal with a Concealed Handgun Permit. I am sure others will check in, if I have made any error. Keep an eye out for a dinner or meet and greet in your area. Also be sure to look up and join VCDL!
    Last edited by The Wolfhound; 03-17-2011 at 05:58 PM.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Welcome to OCDO and the Virginia forum.

Just how would you define "concealing magazines" anyhow? As has already been mentioned, there is nothing in the law about "concealing" them.

In keeping with the rule to cite information, here is the prohibition on magazines with a capacity of more than 20 rounds: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+18.2-308.2C01

18.2-308.2:01. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by certain persons.

A. ....

B.....

C. For purposes of this section, "assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.
    stay safe.

Thanks Skid! I knew someone would fill in the gaps in my memory.

+1 on not illegal
    Did it for 2 years myself.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

I carry 3 magazines most of the time, sometimes two. 30~45 rounds on me always.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Are you a poor marksman, expecting trouble or just being prepared for an IDPA match at any given time?
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    Are you a poor marksman, expecting trouble or just being prepared for an IDPA match at any given time?
    Depending on which two guns I carry and/or extra magazine I carry between 20-28 rounds on me. So 30-45 may sound like alot but ocholsteroc carries those smallish 9mm as opposed to my 45acp!

28*230g=6440grains or 45*115g=5175grains

So my defensive plan counts on sending more lead downrange in fewer trigger pulls.

I have read reports of a policeman hitting a sober-suspect 22 times with 40s&w before he went down. My CHP instructor told me the story of a guy that was finally killed by the 47th bullet that severed his spine before going down. That doesn't even bring into consideration multiple targets/attackers. (target rich environment) :-)

So having extra rounds ain't something to condemn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 03-18-2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    hat doesn't even bring into consideration multiple targets/attackers.
    What I (can) carry depends on the circumstances. Time of day has a lot to do with it, but I started carrying a gun with more than 8 rounds in the first mag more often for the multiple attackers concern.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ight=histogram

I'm at (7 or 13), 27, or (16 or 23) depending...
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sounds like you fellers plan to do a lot of missing! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by MSC 45ACP View Post
    No, Just prepared, Boy Scout motto. Besides I can carry a gun. Why would I limit myself to the lowest possible magazines? A gun is no good once I have no ammo. I could be the best shot in the world and still need magazines, what if I have a jam? what if I get swarmed by 2-3 guys in the parking lot? and what if I get in a shootout? I doubt this will ever happen in my life, but I am prepared. A gun with 15 rounds is no good, need more ammo.

I heard a story once, cop was carrying a 1911 off duty in a mall, crazy mad man came in with a ak47. He fired ALL 7 shots at him just to pin him down so citizens could escape without getting shot.
    I never got the rest of the story. So lesson learned here, carry magazines.

If I had a revolver for primary carry, I would carry 30~40 rounds.

I do not plan on missing or plan on pulling the trigger in some scared panic manner, that is a danger to people. I do not know how many attackers I am going to have.. I saw a video cop had to drop 16 rounds into the back of a car to kill the suspect. He had drawn a 44 or 41 mag I forget, and tryed to shoot at the officer.

Blessed to live in a great state to allow Open Carry, so I will carry as much ammo as I can, which is only 2 spares in a blackhawk pouch.

@ OP carry 2 magazines always, because one could jam.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-19-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    Sounds like you fellers plan to do a lot of missing! ;-)
    If you look at TJ's histogram, multiple assailants are the norm 70+%. There are even attacks with 6 people listed. So having more ammo isn't a negative.

Many video's online of convenient store robberies show the bad guy fleeing as soon as the owner/clerk open fires. If I am ever accosted by 6 bad guys I hope the sight of my gun or the wounding of the first one targeted makes the others flee. Mr. Murphy might just intervene if I carry less. :-(

The two examples I talked about were both police. The one bad guy survived 21 "hits" not misses. The 22nd got him. The other bad guy survived 46 "hits" (from multiple officers) and the 47th severed his spine.

I am under no delusion that my first round will drop the bad guy like on TV. Most reports I read have the bad guy checking himself into the closest hospital.

Dang... 20 to 40 shots to take someone down? what caliber is that a .22? if they are using 9/40/45 where are they hitting the hand and feet? Thats insane. If I have to put 20 rounds into someone and he is not dropping I am going run How do you withstand all that trauma to the body? I know being high on a drug does play a role but NOT being high how does that happen..
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-19-2011 at 05:38 PM.

Dang... 20 to 40 shots to take someone down? what caliber is that a .22? if they are using 9/40/45 where are they hitting the hand and feet? Thats insane. If I have to put 20 rounds into someone and he is not dropping I am going run How do you withstand all that trauma to the body? I know being high on a drug does play a role but NOT being high how does that happen..
    The guy that took 22 shots was not high or drunk. No drugs were found in his autopsy. All the rounds that hit him were from one police officer and all 40S&W. There is a video somewhere of it in youtube.

The guy that took 47 shots was high! There were more than one police officers firing at him but don't know how many. Since they were police I assume 9mm or larger.

Running is an option but I prefer to run after they are out of ammo. :-)

Well, it seams normal for a shoot out to use 20+ rounds and multiple shots to bring someone down. I just watched a few police shoot out videos, and if you had one magazine your done for.. I can not believe how many shots it takes to bring someone down.

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    The guy that took 22 shots was not high or drunk. No drugs were found in his autopsy. All the rounds that hit him were from one police officer and all 40S&W. There is a video somewhere of it in youtube.

The guy that took 47 shots was high! There were more than one police officers firing at him but don't know how many. Since they were police I assume 9mm or larger.

Running is an option but I prefer to run after they are out of ammo. :-)
    Not to sound morbid, but this contrasts starkley with the count of "take downs" v "shots fired" in Tucson. Is this the effect of "return fire"?
    Last edited by 2a4all; 03-19-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    Not to sound morbid, but this contrasts starkley with the count of "take downs" v "shots fired" in Tucson. Is this the effect of "return fire"?
    Yes in both cases I believe shots were being fired in both directions.

I tried to find the one I saw the video of but can't find it on youtube. I can't remember if it was some program on TV like COPS or 20/20 or just on youtube. The just of it was the police officer saw a man in a car across from some store (jewelry?) and asked him for ID. The guy opened fired and the officer was hit several times but they chased each other around their cars through a couple mag changes.

I have heard others say 3-5 rounds is average in a shooting but there is enough "other" evidence that I want to carry many more rounds than that. :-)
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 03-20-2011 at 08:52 AM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Obviously....you haven't reached the age where Plumbers Butt is a problem yet!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Obviously....you haven't reached the age where Plumbers Butt is a problem yet!

A better belt prehaps ?

Belt is amazing, holds my gun and two space magazines nice and tightly no slip. My pants do not fall down. I have in black and tan belts they are so great! can be used for rescue also. They are blackhawk belts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bhbelt.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	5497  
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 03-20-2011 at 12:37 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    A better belt prehaps ?

Belt is amazing, holds my gun and two space magazines nice and tightly no slip. My pants do not fall down. I have in black and tan belts they are so great! can be used for rescue also. They are blackhawk belts.
    Got two of them...and plumbers butt

I'm not too bad of a shot, but with those stats, I guess I should carry a few more rounds than I do. Gotta keep hopped-up dopers in mind when I carry, I guess...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bonehead target.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	5500  
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKC...eature=related

This is why I carry extra magazines, I found the video that I wanted to show.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuhKC...eature=related

This is why I carry extra magazines, I found the video that I wanted to show.
    I wonder if he shot FLEEING gunmen if he would be charged...
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast