• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

help a newbie out - recently turned 18 and plan to open carry soon

Patriot2A

I didn't know where else to post. Anyways.

I have recently turned 18 and plan to open carry soon, but first I would like to be aware of the laws and technicalities of carrying a firearm. I'm already very experienced with hand guns as I've shot them all my life. But ill cut to the chase, btw I'm in Virginia. Since I cannot get a ccw for another 3 years I have to open carry, my question is this, am I allowed to conceal my extra magazines if I lack a ccw?

hrdware

IANAL, but since mags aren't weapons, there should not be an issue.

However you might want to post in the VA specific forum located at the bottom of the forum index for information specific to your location.

The Wolfhound

Welcome to the Virginia section. Yes, such questions really need the attention of the particular state, since that which is legal and commonplace in Virginia can get you a felony count in New Jersey, Maryland or any of the other states that abhor gun rights. I have not run into any law regarding "magazine carry" in Virginia except that in certain counties and municipalities, having a loaded magazine, holding in excess of 20 rounds, in a firearm, is only legal with a Concealed Handgun Permit. I am sure others will check in, if I have made any error. Keep an eye out for a dinner or meet and greet in your area. Also be sure to look up and join VCDL!

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Welcome to OCDO and the Virginia forum.

Just how would you define "concealing magazines" anyhow? As has already been mentioned, there is nothing in the law about "concealing" them.

In keeping with the rule to cite information, here is the prohibition on magazines with a capacity of more than 20 rounds: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308.2C01

§ 18.2-308.2:01. Possession or transportation of certain firearms by certain persons.

A. ....

B.....

C. For purposes of this section, "assault firearm" means any semi-automatic center-fire rifle or pistol that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material and is equipped at the time of the offense with a magazine which will hold more than 20 rounds of ammunition or designed by the manufacturer to accommodate a silencer or equipped with a folding stock.

stay safe.

45acpForMe

Are you a poor marksman, expecting trouble or just being prepared for an IDPA match at any given time?

Depending on which two guns I carry and/or extra magazine I carry between 20-28 rounds on me. So 30-45 may sound like alot but ocholsteroc carries those smallish 9mm as opposed to my 45acp! :D

28*230g=6440grains or 45*115g=5175grains

So my defensive plan counts on sending more lead downrange in fewer trigger pulls. :monkey

I have read reports of a policeman hitting a sober-suspect 22 times with 40s&w before he went down. My CHP instructor told me the story of a guy that was finally killed by the 47th bullet that severed his spine before going down. That doesn't even bring into consideration multiple targets/attackers. (target rich environment) :)

So having extra rounds ain't something to condemn.

Attachments

• smiley-violent069.gif
    smiley-violent069.gif
    39.1 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

t33j

ocholsteroc

Are you a poor marksman, expecting trouble or just being prepared for an IDPA match at any given time?

No, Just prepared, Boy Scout motto. Besides I can carry a gun. Why would I limit myself to the lowest possible magazines? A gun is no good once I have no ammo. I could be the best shot in the world and still need magazines, what if I have a jam? what if I get swarmed by 2-3 guys in the parking lot? and what if I get in a shootout? I doubt this will ever happen in my life, but I am prepared. A gun with 15 rounds is no good, need more ammo.

I heard a story once, cop was carrying a 1911 off duty in a mall, crazy mad man came in with a ak47. He fired ALL 7 shots at him just to pin him down so citizens could escape without getting shot.
I never got the rest of the story. So lesson learned here, carry magazines.

If I had a revolver for primary carry, I would carry 30~40 rounds.
;)

I do not plan on missing or plan on pulling the trigger in some scared panic manner, that is a danger to people. I do not know how many attackers I am going to have.. I saw a video cop had to drop 16 rounds into the back of a car to kill the suspect. He had drawn a 44 or 41 mag I forget, and tryed to shoot at the officer.

Blessed to live in a great state to allow Open Carry, so I will carry as much ammo as I can, which is only 2 spares in a blackhawk pouch. :)

@ OP carry 2 magazines always, because one could jam.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Sounds like you fellers plan to do a lot of missing! ;-)

If you look at TJ's histogram, multiple assailants are the norm 70+%. There are even attacks with 6 people listed. So having more ammo isn't a negative.

Many video's online of convenient store robberies show the bad guy fleeing as soon as the owner/clerk open fires. If I am ever accosted by 6 bad guys I hope the sight of my gun or the wounding of the first one targeted makes the others flee. Mr. Murphy might just intervene if I carry less. :-(

The two examples I talked about were both police. The one bad guy survived 21 "hits" not misses. The 22nd got him. The other bad guy survived 46 "hits" (from multiple officers) and the 47th severed his spine.

I am under no delusion that my first round will drop the bad guy like on TV. Most reports I read have the bad guy checking himself into the closest hospital.

ocholsteroc

Dang... 20 to 40 shots to take someone down? what caliber is that a .22? if they are using 9/40/45 where are they hitting the hand and feet? Thats insane. If I have to put 20 rounds into someone and he is not dropping I am going run :uhoh: How do you withstand all that trauma to the body? I know being high on a drug does play a role but NOT being high how does that happen..

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Dang... 20 to 40 shots to take someone down? what caliber is that a .22? if they are using 9/40/45 where are they hitting the hand and feet? Thats insane. If I have to put 20 rounds into someone and he is not dropping I am going run :uhoh: How do you withstand all that trauma to the body? I know being high on a drug does play a role but NOT being high how does that happen..

The guy that took 22 shots was not high or drunk. No drugs were found in his autopsy. All the rounds that hit him were from one police officer and all 40S&W. There is a video somewhere of it in youtube.

The guy that took 47 shots was high! There were more than one police officers firing at him but don't know how many. Since they were police I assume 9mm or larger.

Running is an option but I prefer to run after they are out of ammo. :)

ocholsteroc

Well, it seams normal for a shoot out to use 20+ rounds and multiple shots to bring someone down. I just watched a few police shoot out videos, and if you had one magazine your done for.. I can not believe how many shots it takes to bring someone down.

2a4all

The guy that took 22 shots was not high or drunk. No drugs were found in his autopsy. All the rounds that hit him were from one police officer and all 40S&W. There is a video somewhere of it in youtube.

The guy that took 47 shots was high! There were more than one police officers firing at him but don't know how many. Since they were police I assume 9mm or larger.

Running is an option but I prefer to run after they are out of ammo. :)
Not to sound morbid, but this contrasts starkley with the count of "take downs" v "shots fired" in Tucson. Is this the effect of "return fire"?

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Not to sound morbid, but this contrasts starkley with the count of "take downs" v "shots fired" in Tucson. Is this the effect of "return fire"?

Yes in both cases I believe shots were being fired in both directions.

I tried to find the one I saw the video of but can't find it on youtube. I can't remember if it was some program on TV like COPS or 20/20 or just on youtube. The just of it was the police officer saw a man in a car across from some store (jewelry?) and asked him for ID. The guy opened fired and the officer was hit several times but they chased each other around their cars through a couple mag changes.

I have heard others say 3-5 rounds is average in a shooting but there is enough "other" evidence that I want to carry many more rounds than that. :)

Last edited: