• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Ontario Oregon

eddallen1958

Does anyone know if open carry is legal in Ontario Oregon? And is Open carry Legal in your vehicle? Also, How hard is it to get a CCW in Ontario? I live in Payette ID which is adjoining to Ontario.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does anyone know if open carry is legal in Ontario Oregon? And is Open carry Legal in your vehicle? Also, How hard is it to get a CCW in Ontario? I live in Payette ID which is adjoining to Ontario.

Welcome to OCDO.

"Firearms may be openly carried in cars without any license except where localities have made open carry illegal; however, an Oregon concealed handgun permit holder is exempt from all local open carry bans. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places."
http://www.opencarry.org/or.html

For non-resident permit see:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/NonResidentPermits.pdf

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How friendly is the Malhuer County Sheriff to non resident permits?

Concealed handgun licenses

The application for a concealed handgun license is available at the sheriff's office or by mail. to obtain a license from the Malheur County Sheriff's Office, the applicant must live in Malheur County or show a justifiable need to carry a concealed handgun in Malheur County and have completed verifiable handgun safety training. A complete criminal background check will be done. The sheriff's office has a list of certified instructors in handgun safety. There are additional requirements for out-of-state residents applying for a concealed handgun license.

• Cost for first-time applicants is $65.
  • Please contact the Malheur County Sheriff's Office for further information.
http://www.malheurco.org/sheriff

Last edited:

Cremator75

Probably not much help, but I have OC'd in Ontario while passing through getting gas. I have a CHL so I get to ignore all the BS city rules. As ling as you can pass a background check the county is required by Oregon law to issue you a CHL. Just get it and you will be "relatively" worry free especially out on the east side of the state.

Just noticed your in Idaho. You need a valid reason to get an Oregon CHL, but I've heard it's more lax on the east side. Check the Washington page for sherriffs that frequently issue to out of staters.

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
If you are looking for a non-resident Oregon CHL, you might want to go through Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer. Very 2A friendly and has been working with folks over on Calguns.net to issue to California residents.

DenWin

Ontario Municipal Code

This should help with your original question. It's an excerpt from the Ontario City Municipal Code 6-1-21:

(Ord. 2292, 6-17-91)

2. Except as otherwise provided by ORS 166.250, it shall be unlawful for any person to possess or have in his possession any machine gun, or carry concealed upon his person or within any vehicle which is under his control or direction any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person, without having a license to carry such firearm.

3. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to police officers or other individuals or organizations defined or ORS 166.260. (1978 Code)
A violation of this subsection shall be a Class A violation.

It doesn't say anything about OPEN carry of a pistol, revolver, etc. so by that stand point, yes, you could legally open carry. BUT I AM NOT A LAWYER, please make sure to consult with legitimate counsel before listening to anything this idiot has to say. ^_^

Last edited: