• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bikers??? How many actual bikers are on here?

1245A Defender

me too,,,,

1979 Suzuki GS850 full dress. never went much for harleys, no crotch rockets- not into bikes i have to hump to ride, i prefer to sit upright behind my windshield, with my shaft drive, just tooling along, seeing the sights at 50 mph or less. collector plated it, so i dont have to mess with renewals anymore. used it some last summer, with gas going up will have to use it more this summer. had this bike for 25 years now.

you know im not in wisconsin, but i wanna play too!
i gotta agree with McX, 50 mph, shaft, windshield, no rocket, no HD!
i bought my moto guzzi in 1980! 1972 850 el dorado, tore down , in boxes, beat and broken!
big vetter fairing, saddles bags, and a HUGE trunk, 2 tractor style seats.
a year of work, resleave, over bored, wireing, shift return spring inside.
rebuilding the starter was the only thing i have ever farmed out!
over the years ive rebored and modified VW or porshe pistons to suit, now its
996ccs, rusted dirty and ugly, but its starts everytime, always gets me home.
Loud pipes save lives, and loud G loaded accelerations make up for high gear ratio low top speed!
And it will jump start a chrysler 440cid!
and it will keep up with all the harleys, but i prefer slow and majestic...
Oh yea,,, collector plates!

Last edited:
M

McX

you know im not in wisconsin, but i wanna play too!
i gotta agree with McX, 50 mph, shaft, windshield, no rocket, no HD!
i bought my moto guzzi in 1980! 1972 850 el dorado, tore down , in boxes, beat and broken!
big vetter fairing, saddles bags, and a HUGE trunk, 2 tractor style seats.
a year of work, resleave, over bored, wireing, shift return spring inside.
rebuilding the starter was the only thing i have ever farmed out!
over the years ive rebored and modified VW or porshe pistons to suit, now its
996ccs, rusted dirty and ugly, but its starts everytime, always gets me home.
Loud pipes save lives, and loud G loaded accelerations make up for high gear ratio low top speed!
And it will jump start a chrysler 440cid!
and it will keep up with all the harleys, but i prefer slow and majestic...
Oh yea,,, collector plates!

Motoguzi, now there's a name i havent heard in many years, i remember them though, we all wanted one.

LR Yote 312

I still have wet dreams about building a real digger with an old shovel in it. No fat tires, No fancy paint, king and queen, rigid frame, twisted spokes, and so on. But I would have to keep it within the guidelines of the original diggers, not this modified stuff that most people think is awesome now a days.

Guilty...

Every once in a while I catch myself thinkin of buildin a Bay Area chop...or a
Ghost Rider bike like the one in David Mann's painting.
Then my body reminds me why wont.

The Shovels a good girl...every once in a while she gets in a mood and decides
to take on the Twin Cams and put a few back in the bar cryin "Mama" in their beer
by the second tank.

Motoguzi, now there's a name i havent heard in many years, i remember them though, we all wanted one.

Sweet motors...Easiest ones to work on yet.
Without breakin a sweat you can strip the top end down in 20 mins.
Big fat main journals and a beautifully polished inside engine case.

Too bad the ignition curves were so lazy to make up for the peee water gas
that was around back then in Italy.
It didnt take alot to make one into a Street Screamer.
Lighten the fly wheel some....bump up the timing curve a little and
they would give any Ricer a real run.

I would love to get my hands on a older carbed 1000 LeMans

Lr Yote

JollyLBK

Here are my two rides..The First is my 2002 Harley-Davidson Softail Standard.. and the second is my 2004 Kawasaki Z1000. I enjoy having the best of both worlds in my garage and I am also fortunate enough to ride YEAR ROUND here in AZ. So to all you still stuck with snow on the ground I say HA! :p

0751bcd5.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg

slowfiveoh

I started off young. Pops got me a 1985 ATC70 back in 84 off of a buddy whose son didn't appreciate it. In the deal he also got a 1978 Yamaha DT100, and a 1979 Yamaha YZ100.

The yammies didn't last long, as finicky two strokes go, these were the divas of the lot. The DT was well sorted for street duty with its auto injection, but they were known to clog. The YZ was absolutely gutless anywhere in the midrange, then opened into a supreme can of whoopass up top. If only it didn't have an appetite or fouled plugs, regardless of precision when premixing. Thing seized twice on us as well.

My next bike was a 1970 SL100. Thing was beat to hell, and was originally silver and red. I helped dad pull the motor and rebuild it. We honed the jug, mic'd it, and stuffed a new wiseco kit in it. End displacement was around 110cc's. The last time I rode that bike, the ancient throttle barrel crumbled in my hands somewhere on the Kyburz jeep trail. I bumped the idle screw way the hell up and played clutch games for a few miles to get it back to the truck.

Then I got the 1974 XL350. What a torquey thumper. Stepped down a tooth in the front, I could easilly yank it up the nastiest of hills. Well, I guess that term is subjective when you have only 3 true inches of suspension travel up front.

Eventually got a 1984 XR200. What a light, flickable little bike. I could easilly keep pace with newer bikes of the day by simply being a little hamfisted and light on the pegs.

Then I acquired a 1985 XL600. What a paradigm shift. Massive beasty tank with a flat, gigantic torque curve. I remember riding it out to Prairie City OHV park one summer day in probably 1997. I eased my way through the staging area, and then slapped it WOT in 2nd, sending a hefty rooster tail skyward, as well as the front wheel once it bit. I continued aggressively riding until I came to a little ravine I could tuck into, preload, and launch (figuratively speaking for an XL600 of course) a good 4 feet into the air off the other side. Once I got bored I made my way to a nice tabletop, and started playing with that while a couple of guys on CR250's watched me thunkety thunk over this tabletop over and over again. The back side was long, and gave me plenty of landing area, so I kept grabbing more and more speed, and preloading more and more. Eventually I probably caught a good 8-10 feet of air on this XL600, and figured out why people don't usually do that. I landed, completely bottomed out the suspension, and *snap*, "Oh crap". Where the hell did the left footpeg go?

After digging through the high Rancho Cordova weeds for about an hour, I finally found my long lost foopeg, and threw it in my backpack. I gave her a good kick and made my way towards the gate, left leg dangling in the air, shifting with no support.

I cruised all the way down Highway 50 back into Carmichael, where I had a buddy with a shop, and had him extract the busted bolts, and remount the peg with some new ones.

From then on, mostly sportbikes and cruisers, and more similarly interesting stories from those. (Did you know even with only 4 speeds, a VT600C will do just over 100mph with a fine female passenger on the back?)

3 CBR600F's
1 95 F3
1982 GS1100E
1982 CB650C
1994 VT600C
2003 GSXR1000

and my favorite of all time, a TL1000S. :banana:

Good to see other riders interested in our civil rights, not that that is an oddity or anything.

MKEgal

metalman383 said:
I am thinking an "Open Carry Ride" might be in the works here.
Once we get rid of that pesky 167.31, we could really have an OC ride!
But I'm up for a ride even with an empty holster. Just wait 'til the snow & ice are off the roads, OK?

I ride, have ridden for just over 20 years, but I hate all the negative associations that come with the word "biker". I'm not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist.

I taught myself on a little 125cc scooter. It was an automatic, or more accurately a CV drive. I paid attention to learning to ride, she handled the engine. Scooters are a lot of fun, & handle very differently from motorcycles. I miss my scooter. :(

Then I met my (now ex-) fiancee, who put me on a BMW R100RT w/ sidecar to teach me to shift. (Figured I couldn't tip over while paying attention to shifting.) Sidecars, also, are a lot of fun. I never got to where I could do tricks, though. And the physics of driving one is completely different from anything other than another sidecar.

We also shared quite a stable of BMWs: R100GS, 2 R1200RT's (fast & comfortable*), R1150R (which I did an Ironbutt around Lake Michigan on), and the R65 who usually lived with me. The original sidecar was sold, and one of the R1200s became the new rig, which is downright luxurious.
There are pictures of most of them here: http://www.theroadscholar.net/bikes.htm
And if you look closely, there's even a picture of me.

The weekend after he dumped me, I went out & bought a bike of my own. (Yamaha XS400E) Not nearly as nice, powerful, or reliable as the BMW's, but she's mine. She's also old enough to get a collector plate. :lol: Now I get to learn maintenance. :(

For those who haven't heard of it, here's the Ironbutt website:
http://www.ironbutt.com/about/about.cfm
Yes, I was really nuts enough to ride 1000mi in (well) under 24h.
Here's one of the certificates:
http://www.aerostich.com/mrhappy/sites/aerostich.com.mrhappy/files/mrhappy/IBCertificate700.jpg

A picture of me on the way back from the Very Boring Rally in Duluth a couple summers ago:
http://www.aerostich.com/mrhappy/photos/mr-happy-made-friend-mercer-wi
You may recognize Mr. Happy as the little yellow guy who rides on my dash.

* In fact, even with the sidecar & a passenger, I was pulled over late one JAN for doing 80. Didn't feel that fast, and the bike certainly didn't mind. The officer was amused that we were his first motorcycle of the year; didn't think the other officers would believe him. No, I didn't get a ticket, just a warning.

HeroHog

I'm from Louisiana and while I don't currently have a bike, I keep my license up and am and will be a biker till the day I die! I ride for the God and the DoD.

zuke.jpg

geekyPatch.gif

DoD 8177: KotSFAQ

Last edited:

Cobbersmom

I'm from Louisiana and while I don't currently have a bike, I keep my license up and am and will be a biker till the day I die! I ride for the God and the DoD.
zuke.jpg

geekyPatch.gif

DoD 8177: KotSFAQ

You're from Reeky? I miss it so much since most newsgroups were dropped. My favorites were Sunny and Maggie and the guy from Canada, can't remember his name, his wife hunted moose better than him. So many more.

HeroHog

You're from Reeky? I miss it so much since most newsgroups were dropped. My favorites were Sunny and Maggie and the guy from Canada, can't remember his name, his wife hunted moose better than him. So many more.

:) I knew SOMEONE would remember the DoD here! LOL! Yes, I was there for YEARS and am still friends with the KotL (Keeper of the List) and am still the Keeper of the SuperFAQ (KotSFAQ) (seeing as it hasn't been updated in DECADES! http://herohog.com/DoD/

The Llama incident?

Lord Julian Spagthorpe perhaps?
spagthrp.gif

Last edited:

Wolfgang1952

Got my first bike when I turned 14. A Honda 50 Supper Sport. That was in 66. In 68 bought my Honda 350 Scrambler. Killed it. Went into the NAVY in 71. In 73 while stationed in La Maddalena, Italy I had a Ducati 750 till I came back to the world. I sold it to one of the guys on the ship. When I got home in 74 I bought a New 1973 Honda 750 K3. I finely retired it in 99 with right at 299 thousand miles on it. That’s when I bought my 98 Honda Valkyie. I’ve got close to 175 thousand miles on her now. I hate to ride in the cage. If we can take the bikes we will. The Old Lady has a 2000 Dyna FXD with close 80 Thousand miles on it. Being in an OC state (Louisiana) and able to ride just about year round, I can rack up some mileage on a bike. I do get some looks from the Sheeple.

006a.jpg

Shovelhead

My '76 FLH "Old Blue" hence the name Shovelhead.
I also have a 2009 TriGlide....traded my '98 FLHTCUI-A for it.
The Tri has already made a trip from DC to the Grand canyon.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Old_Blue.jpg
    Old_Blue.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 336
Last edited:
M

McX

so many guns, so little time..........ooops, wrong thread, ok; mini bike, then onto MT-250 on/off, then a GT380 3 cyl/ 2 stroke- still miss that one, then to my iron horse: 79 GS850, during that a momentary dalliance with a 250 enduro. that's about it, still got the 850, going on 25 years now. with the price of gas, looks like i'll be using it alot this year.

HeroHog

so many guns, so little time..........ooops, wrong thread, ok; mini bike, then onto MT-250 on/off, then a GT380 3 cyl/ 2 stroke- still miss that one, then to my iron horse: 79 GS850, during that a momentary dalliance with a 250 enduro. that's about it, still got the 850, going on 25 years now. with the price of gas, looks like i'll be using it alot this year.
I too love the smokers! I had a gaggle of GT380's, a few RD-350's and a GT-750J Water Buffalo not to mention all of the single cylinder dirt bikes throughout the years!
GT750J.jpg

hogeaterf6

Yes. Been riding since 95 or so. Bought my last bike in 2000. A new 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer. Once I got divorced in 06 the miles have been high. 76k on her now. Me and the ol lady do approx 8 States and 8000 miles a year. Bike is all customized with pan head fairing and custom flame paint. I'm almost sleeved on the left arm and pierced. Wife is tatted also and has more (better) piercings then me! lol. We like to party but I gotta watch it with my job. Some legal and alot illegal! :D Bike has been on a trailer once and will never be on one again. Love being a biker and will be till I die.

Sturgis
10- Married out there this year.

Been to----- AL, IN, MI, OH, WV, PA, KY, TN, NC, GA, IL, NE, SD, MT, WY, IA