• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry in florida

bigtim6656

I am a indiana resident and got my indiana license to carry handgun permit a month ago. Indiana's license does not say open or conceal carry and my understanding is it is good for either.
I will be spending alot of time in florida, looking at about 2 months there 2-4 months, repeat as needed :D.

My understanding is florida is not a open carry state even with a permit. Someone did tell me that I could with a indiana permit but I doubt that, plus the heat of doing so I can guess would be hot.

Here are my questions
I read about where open carry was ok when you were hunting fishing, and camping, is this true?
Lets say I am going from key largo to miami for a day of fishing on the peir, if I walked into sams with my gun on my belt would that be ok. I get the while ingaged but wonder on the going to and from part.

Second
I am sure there is a better place for this but here goes.
I currently own a glock 21 45acp, not a small gun.
For the days in florida when I ant fishing, though guess I could always have a pole and the tackle box in my jeep what is the best way you guess recommend to carry down there.

Given I will be in shorts and a t shirt and the open carry belt holster ant a options, I though a shoulder rig with a thin button up shirt over the holster unbuttoned, some tell me that is not going to work.

Is there a small of the back or inside the waist band holster that will work with the glock 21

Oh a I am big guy to if it matters, 6'5 475 pounds. :shocker:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No your out of state license will NOT allow you to OC in Florida.

When you cross state lines, you must obey the laws of the state in which you are physically present - you don't carry your home state laws with you when you travel.

There are several threads on camping and fishing OC in Florida. I'll let the more knowledgeable on this direct you though and provide such links as are appropriate.

bigtim6656

thats what I figured, would be like taking my "high cap" 13 round mag into the soviet state of cali, and saying well us good old indiana boys are ok there :uhoh:

I will do a search on the fishing thing, maybe some other can help point me to the right ones. A link to the good honestly laws decoded to normal talk out of legal talk would be killer ;)

Kingfish

Welcome to the forum and the world of carrying a personal defense firearm.

would be like taking my "high cap" 13 round mag into the soviet state of cali, and saying well us good old indiana boys are ok there
You actually can take normal capacity mags to CA for a visit, you just can't bring it in (import) to sell.