• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drunk driver almost ran me off the road tonight

kubel

Do you think this drunk hit me? It all happened so fast, at the time, I didn't think he did (which is why I didn't follow him). My cell phone was dead on top of that, so couldn't call 911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4-_ZOW9Xis

I'm going to clean it tomorrow and then regardless of whether or not I think he hit me, I'm going to the MSP post to ask them what I should do.

(And before this comes up, yes, it's a retired cop car, and no, I don't pretend to be a cop, I don't even open carry anywhere near it because I don't want people to think I'm impersonating. It's just a cheap fun and durable form of transportation).

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Do you think this drunk hit me? It all happened so fast, at the time, I didn't think he did (which is why I didn't follow him). My cell phone was dead on top of that, so couldn't call 911.

I'm going to clean it tomorrow and then regardless of whether or not I think he hit me, I'm going to the MSP post to ask them what I should do.

(And before this comes up, yes, it's a retired cop car, and no, I don't pretend to be a cop, I don't even open carry anywhere near it because I don't want people to think I'm impersonating. It's just a cheap fun and durable form of transportation).

It's hard to tell what happened from the video. You don't start swerving off the road until right when the bump occurs, and then as soon as he is visible he appears to be in his own lane.

So, I can't even see *how* he ran you off the road, much less whether he hit you, although it sure seems something happened.

kubel

He was definitely in my lane before he got to the cameras view, but your right, as he enters the camera view he's well into his own lane. Maybe I need a rear-facing cam next time :).

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Wow!!!

That is very nearly the somewhat interesting mundane loss of 2 and a half minutes i seem to recall missing from my life!
i note with disinterest that after you were not side swiped by a drunk driver that you nonchalantly passed, that after the incident that didnt really seem to happen
you drove with vigor to catch and follow closely while you didnt actually tailgate him.

And blaring your horn at him was a really good way to tell him what he did was wrong.
a very mature way to communicate in this day and age, especially since now road rage
is in fact all the rage, and we have guns!
I for one am shocked, shocked i tell you, that now after the fact, and after you have taken the time to tell us all your silly story, that you cant tell us definitively,
that your car was in fact actually hit!

Kirbinator

I know it's a cheap ride, but you're driving the wrong car for dealing with BS like that while armed.

Always carry a charged cell phone. And behave yourself.. Situational awareness man... Drunks generally get nervous when those headlights come up behind them. They'll swerve more... Keep your distance... Never let a car get that close to you ... he removed the only "out" you had in traffic other than taking the ditch.

Driving fail.

Also, let him make contact next time. Your drunk was probably just on a cell phone. Your insurance company won't pay for ditching your car, but will pay if he hits you. Or you can just drive defensively and never let it happen again.

Think about this... If you're driving along next to an eighteen wheeler... what would you do if his tire exploded and sent shrapnel into your car? At 90+ PSI tire pressure, the fragments will cut through your window like it's not there. Give them berth. Never let another car get into a position where the other driver's options are to check your car into the next lane (or road sign or ditch) should they suddenly lose a tire (or a spindle, or a ball-joint).

Last edited:

Campo6245

Police insurance company and body shop

All I can say is that you should call the police, you should call your insurance company, and you should take your car to the body shop even if you see a scratch on it! I was hit by someone in a parking lot and it made just a scratch on my bumper. I reported it to the police JUST TO BE SURE they dont sau i backed into them. Then took the car to my body shop. The small bump broke a sensor under the car for the breaking systems and the rearview parking assist. Costs over $4200 to fix. Sure enough the lady said I backed into her, but because I eported it to the police and my insurance company I won and her company paid for the repairs. When you blew the horn, I took it as you were asking him to pull over so you could exchange information over the accident. Lets be honest, if you have damage that was NOT there BEFORE, then he hit you! Call the police, and insurance company. Don't say ANYTHING about the video, unless it is being fought.

Kirbinator

Something's not ringing true with this.

Nah, it's about as true as the poster can be. I don't know if the vehicle was struck due to the camera bounce from the rapid lane change.

People do tend to do weird things around ex-police cars; if you've ever driven one, you get a sense of why cops are so quick to pull people over... people are looky-loos and paranoid... or sitting in the left lane doing the speed-limit, failing to observe "slower traffic move right". If someone has drugs, they'll start fidgeting.

Again, I think the issue is more driver awareness and defensive driving and less about drunk/cell-phone driving.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Something's not ringing true with this.

No, really?

Could it perhaps start with the premise that another driver with whom the OP did not speak is presumed/claimed to be drunk - then proceeds to have no verifiable basis for the other claims?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Didn't hit me, didn't have a cell phone, didn't follow him." Also no BAT data, so very likely not drunk, just a crappy driver with a tail light out. And the point of this is:

I would think to generate conversation not in keeping with the primary purpose of OCDO.

Really doesn't fit anywhere except the Social Lounge which, as I understand it, was created in part as a containment devise for OT postings/threads. IMHO there should still be some relevant connection though.