• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Age of OC?

Fresnel Mongoose

Hello. Jade here, age 19, Reno area. Grew up on a rural ranch, but just recently moved closer to the city, and am becoming a bit concerned about my safety. Perusing the site, I noticed the maps showing one can legally OC at age 18. Im planning on getting my ccw asap, though I wonder if I can go about carrying sooner? Right now, Im 15 months out from being able to do so.

I would like to carry my S&W Model 27 when I may be passing through a bad area late at night(happens, as I sometimes work late shifts). I also prefer to do my shopping/chores later in the evening since there is very little traffic. I have a very discreet high-ride holster, not some extravagant drop leg thing, if that makes a difference. Am I legally permitted to do so? Am I asking for trouble by doing so? I don't want to risk having my gun confiscated for no reason, as it has sentimental value. I cannot purchase one specifically for carry until Im 21. Then again, I don't want to get stabbed/raped/etc. Even worse would be both.

If it is indeed legal, where do they draw the line between open and concealed? If I happen to tuck my holster between my belt and pants, showing just the grip/cylinder, is that 'concealed' since most of the holster is hidden? If I have a bag slung over my shoulder and it obscures the weapon somewhat, is that considered concealed? Would it be wise of me to complete a ccw course and keep handy the certificates before doing any of this? Are there any other considerations I should keep in mind?

Thanks!

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
Hello Jade,

I started open carrying on my 18th birthday. (I'm now 21 and recently got my permit to carry concealed.)

There is no need to have any certificates, but you should know how to use your firearm well.

Be sure to read up on all the laws, such as for prohibited places. Here is a pamphlet I made which summarizes many of the laws:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?45415-Nevada-(Open)-Carry-Pamphlet

In Nevada, the definition of a concealed weapon is:

"Concealed weapon” means a weapon described in this section that is carried upon a person in such a manner as not to be discernible by ordinary observation.

So the gun must be discernible by ordinary observation. However, I wouldn't want to give an officer any room to try and say my gun was concealed.

At 18, you can also purchase a handgun in a face to face private sale here in Nevada, just not from a licensed firearm dealer. Many people will be hesitant to sell a handgun to someone under 21, but I did buy a handgun on one occasion before I turned 21.

Last edited:

Fresnel Mongoose

Awesome! That is encouraging. The pamphlet is good information to have handy as well. I shouldn't be afraid of defending myself because some inner-city gangbanger kids squandered their rights by being stupid..

I would prefer to by a gun new. Especially with one Im potentially trusting my life to. Was thinking a Steyr S-40 or a M&P 40c.

Thanks. :D