• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry I know it's been asked a bunch of times

unknown.skies

Okay I know that this has been asked a lot, but I just want to clarify a few things. I am in Independence , MO , my CCW class is in 2 weeks, but it will take another 6 weeks to get the CCW. My questions are about open carrying.

1. I am allowed to carry the gun anywhere in my car right? Loaded, Unloaded?
2. I know that you cannot open carry into like schools, goverment buildings, federal stuff like that, but for example, if I decide to go into walmart maybe or just walk out of my car to go to a friends house, or go inside my house and have the gun on my hip, holstered and in plain sight, is it illegal or legal, i know everyone says it is, but I just want to make sure on how does everyone do it.

I don't plan on carrying my gun on me a lot, because I just go to and from work and then at home. but when I do go out, and decide to open carry just want to make sure, i remember watching the news when a lot of people opened carried at starbucks downtown, and they said you can open carry with certain permits, and was wondering what permits those were. You can open carry with out a CCW right?

Please if someone could just clarify for me for the next 8 weeks I plan to open carry on what I can and can't do. This is my first pistol but not my first gun, I will be 23 this Saturday.

Thanks

MKEgal

Welcome aboard.
I'm going to suggest:
A) browsing your state forum; your questions have probably already been addressed there
B) if you can't find the answers, re-post your questions in the appropriate state forum, since you are asking about state (and possibly local) laws.
For an overview on many topics, click on the "maps" button at the top of the page, then on the specific topic, and see what color your state is.

WalMart corporate policy is to follow state law. So if OC is legal without a permit, you can carry openly in Wally World now. If a "manager" (more likely a low-level supervisor) gives you any grief, remind her/him that corporate policy allows this. If there's still a problem, get the person's name, and the store manager's name & phone #, & (if they'll give it to you) the name & phone of the area supervisor. Then leave peacefully (leave your cart right there, where they stopped you), go home & make some phone calls.

Nationwide, within your own house & on your own property you can do just about anything. (No, I don't mean crimes against other people, but freely exercise your rights.) You have MUCH stronger protections against gov't intrusion than you do when out & about.

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

Welcome! I second MKEgal's suggestion to hop on over to the Missouri sub-forum. State laws can vary widely, and when you get into states without preemption laws, the patchwork of local laws can create a minefield that us out-of-staters aren't aware of.

Nationwide, within your own house & on your own property you can do just about anything. (No, I don't mean crimes against other people, but freely exercise your rights.) You have MUCH stronger protections against gov't intrusion than you do when out & about.

And this is an example of how state law can vary from what "outsiders" expect. For example, Louisiana does not have an exception for unlicensed CC in your home/car, while other states (such as Mississippi, where I live) specifically exempt your home, car, business, and "associated real property" from the CC restriction.

So talk with locals about the laws in your state, and peruse the state laws yourself.

edit: Handgunlaw.us also has detailed breakdowns of weapons laws for each state. Keep in mind that laws can change, and the good folks here at OCDO and elsewhere may not be up to speed on every tiny detail. So my advice is to always read the relevant laws yourself.

Last edited: