• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Yeah, It's Loaded" - A Portrait of Open Carry in and around Northern Virginia

2a4all

Fellas -

Cup & Saucer grip is very old school and Terri seems to be doing quite well with it.

As for stance - for some reason (why, I'll never figure out) wimmins seem to have this almost unbreakable desire to lean back when holding a pistol out in front of them. It's almost like they were counter-balancing the weight of the gun. (No. Seriously, I do understand it. Really I do. And I'm all in favor of letting them do that if they can still hit the target.)

Yes, for the "action" types of shooting they might (might, I say) actually do better putting their weak foot forward and leaning into the target (reverse for lefties). And yes, doing it that way gives them an advantage in handling recoil and getting back on target for follow-up shots. But it also takes something else out of their shooting.

If they are having fun and hitting the target, why mess with stuff.

stay safe.

One's weak foot is on the opposite side of the strong foot. A Lefty has no need to reverse.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Cup & Saucer may work fine for her with a semi-auto, but for a revolver she really needs to get that support grip behind the gun. If they are having fun and hitting the target, why mess with stuff?

The "lean back" is typical when women shoot Isosceles. With her current grip and lean back, the gun is going to kick and will be difficult to control.If they are having fun and hitting the target, why mess with stuff?

Yes, it may actually improve their shooting, But some folks only see improvement as hitting more 10-rings. If they are having fun and hitting the target, why mess with stuff? Sell changing her grip to her as a way to have even more fun and she might buy it.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
Yes, it may actually improve their shooting, But some folks only see improvement as hitting more 10-rings. If they are having fun and hitting the target, why mess with stuff? Sell changing her grip to her as a way to have even more fun and she might buy it.

stay safe.

Sorry....helping people improve their shooting is a habit for me. Having fun is terrific and if the shooter can improve their skills and have fun, super!

DocDaddy

ODA,
When I first saw the other article, I thought that was your wife and daughter when I read that article (the one from the British reporter, Thread: http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...oms-in-VA-for-article&highlight=british+women

Article: http://netnemesis.org/misc/UK Marie Claire July 2010 - Girls With Guns by Andreina Cordani.pdf).

Your wife's name kind of stands out so I thought that was her and also seeing your daughter up at Busch Gardens with you and your family that one time and then your post in that thread saying it was your family verified my assumptions. Atleast this one posted some pics of your wife also. Dobar!!!

But isn't this Washingtonian.com a repeat of that same story? Which is good though! A more local public venue than being published overseas.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
But isn't this Washingtonian.com a repeat of that same story?
The Washingtonian was not much of a "story". It was more of a photo essay. The common thread in this whole thing was the DC based independant photog that took and "owns" the pics to sell to whomever he feels. He was originally contracted to do the pics for the overseas magazine, but marketed them to others as well..

His name is Eli Meir Kaplan

Ed

HeroHog

Terri is actually SCARY good with HER .44 Mag Red Hawk and HER Model 59 S&W so bigger guns don't bother her. She does want to learn to better grip the gun and we just haven't had the time to do that till now. I am getting a range membership and once her working hours allow, she will be getting some much needed range time and after that, she will be a force to be reckoned with!

RedHawk-LS.jpg

S&W_Mod59.jpg

ODA 226

Yeah, she does need some work on her grip but a grip is very personalized. I'd work on her stance first.

ODA, you have a beautiful family!
Damn shame God lets rude twits that insult peoples loved ones, be able to do it outside of reaching distance.

Thanks! Most of these hoplophobes don't trust anyone with a firearm because they don't trust themselves with one!

Table

Safety issue

Didn't anybody see the obvious safety issue in the OP's pix? In the third picture, the little girl's shoes are untied.

Last edited:

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Didn't anybody see the obvious safety issue in the OP's pix? In the third picture, the little girl's shoes are untied.

The issue I worried about in the OP is the belt on Carrie. With no way to hold the belt down as she draws, it seems she'd need a two-handed draw. I've worn a belt over a shirt like that, and can't draw properly when I do.

I guess it works for her.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
The issue I worried about in the OP is the belt on Carrie. With no way to hold the belt down as she draws, it seems she'd need a two-handed draw. I've worn a belt over a shirt like that, and can't draw properly when I do.

I guess it works for her.
You are exactly right Tess. She does not carry like that. Caitlin made the same comment. That was at the request of the photographer for contrast and make the gun "stand out"..
I taled to her about it as soon as I saw the pic.

Repeater

You are exactly right Tess. She does not carry like that. Caitlin made the same comment. That was at the request of the photographer for contrast and make the gun "stand out"..
I talked to her about it as soon as I saw the pic.

I actually like the photograph, so I can understand the photographer for wanting the pose like that. However, the text should have clarified for accuracy that Carrie does not carry that way, and why.

Carrie. Carry. That's interesting; I hadn't noticed that until now. I wonder if she gets any jokes about that?

Repeater

Compare this to Broadview Security

What a pitiful piss-ant that guy is! At least my wife and daughter have the mindset, the ability and the means to defend themselves against lethal attack... Thanks for chiming in there Repeater! :)

I especially like this picture:

5396578340_739a2b7327_z.jpg

Here you see two women in the kitchen. Everything looks perfectly normal, including the two handguns. Nothing looks posed or artificial. The facts that the guns look like a natural part of the picture instead of out-of-place is important. The fact the these two women are carrying indoors is also important. All of this helps to normalize open-carry.

Finally, that picture stands in sharp contrast to those old Broadview Security TV ads. Those ads are obsolete ever since Broadview merged with ADT. I think all of us remember those 'women in jep' commercials, like this one, and this one, featuring mother and daughter.

I think it is reasonable to believe that with regard to your family, under a similar threatening invasion, the outcome would be different.

Repeater

If we are going to talk about security systems ads my favorite one is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmLxWXJkq1c

Nothing beats a full auto AK-47 for home defense.

The actress ain't hard to look at neither!

And yes I agree the picture of carrying around the home is great. It dispells the defenseless woman at home alone stereotype.

Well, that stereotype seems to work for various Lifetime movies, but in real life, it's better to be armed.

DinFreemont

I provided the Print Link -- that's why it's short, I guess.

This link also includes reader comments, some of which are rude, such as...

This illustrates the fact that even a positive portrayal of Open-Carry Virginians will not persuade some Hoplophobes to be even a little tolerant.

I continues to shock me sometimes how absolutely stupid hoplophobia sufferers are.

Repeater

I continues to shock me sometimes how absolutely stupid hoplophobia sufferers are.

The most recent comments now include rude remarks over the looks of some of these women. I'm surprised it's taken this long. When you have no facts on your side, resort to name calling. Make fun of how people look.

Sad.