• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about Para Ordnance 1911's

Patriot2A

I'm still in the process of selecting a handgun for open carrying. After countless weekends shooting all different types of handguns, I think the 1911 model is the type for me. My dilemma is that I really like the skinny feel of the 1911 but I would prefer one that held more than 7 or 8 rounds. I was looking at the Para Ordnance 1911's and was happy to see they had models that held 14 rounds. They also claim that the grip didn't widen.

Does anyone have any experience with these high cap 1911's? And is it true that the grip isn't wider than the traditional 1911?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

irish52084

It isn't wider from front strap to back strap, but it is thicker grip to grip. I hope that makes sense. If you like the grip of a 1911 but want a hi capacity 45, try the Springfield XD in 45, it's similar grip angle wise to the 1911. I had a hi capacity kimber and loved it, but it was very large in the grip.

Butch00

I have a P-14 and the grip is a little bigger,
but unless you have really small hands should
not make a difference.

j4l

...the Hi-cap Para grips are a bit wide (side-to-side) compared to single-stack .45s.

another alternative is the PT-845 Taurus. I was trying out a lot of 1911s (my first love, and what I grew up on/was trained on) both single-stack and hi-cap, as well as a lot of the poly hi-cap .45s.
I ended up having to bail on the 1911 for the moment (grip-safety issues w/ tendonitis-dont want that to hang me up @ The Moment ,ya know?) so I looked at other,mostly poly-framed models. Glock, Spring, FN, etc.
The 845 is the closest one I found to the size/feel of a 1911 grip-wise, despite having a 13-round capacity (12+1).
Also, it has the adjustable backstraps so you can adjust the front-back thickness in the hand.
And the controls are all Ambi, and all in the same spots your thumb is used to reaching for on a 1911.

45acpForMe

I own a Para Big Hawg which is 15+1. They use thinner grip panels so they say it only widens the grip by 1/8th of an inch (probably on each side?) If you have large hands the added grip size actually helps holding the gun.

With that said I can't recommend Para due to my one experience with them. I know Dreamer has several Para's including hi-cap ones and loves his. My Big Hawg has feeding issues and is ammo sensitive. They recommend 300-400 rounds for break in and will not feed Blaser ammo reliably. I have had feeding problems with Blaser, Federal, Remmington.

As far as grip, accuracy, capacity, weight I LOVE this gun. With it being unreliable during feeding I can not carry it in a self defense role. I tried adding a heavier recoil spring and went with a GI guide rod and spring cap (assuming it would function ok) but it failed just the same if not more. So I returned it to its factory configuration and it seems to fail less but fail still it does!

It is a shame because it is such a great gun all things considered. :cry:

hol-hawg1.jpg

.45acp

I own a Para Big Hawg which is 15+1. They use thinner grip panels so they say it only widens the grip by 1/8th of an inch (probably on each side?) If you have large hands the added grip size actually helps holding the gun.

With that said I can't recommend Para due to my one experience with them. I know Dreamer has several Para's including hi-cap ones and loves his. My Big Hawg has feeding issues and is ammo sensitive. They recommend 300-400 rounds for break in and will not feed Blaser ammo reliably. I have had feeding problems with Blaser, Federal, Remmington.

As far as grip, accuracy, capacity, weight I LOVE this gun. With it being unreliable during feeding I can not carry it in a self defense role. I tried adding a heavier recoil spring and went with a GI guide rod and spring cap (assuming it would function ok) but it failed just the same if not more. So I returned it to its factory configuration and it seems to fail less but fail still it does!

It is a shame because it is such a great gun all things considered. :cry:

hol-hawg1.jpg

Hey 45, did you return it to para or at least call them?...if so did what did they say. Does the gun run with 230 gr. ball ammo?

45acpForMe

Hey 45, did you return it to para or at least call them?...if so did what did they say. Does the gun run with 230 gr. ball ammo?

The first time I contacted Para they said no-BLASER and 300-400 break in time.

I contacted them via their web page last week but have not heard back from them yet. If they are willing to work on it I am willing to send it back. Like I said before if it can feed properly it is one HECK of a gun.:)

Dreamer

Sorry I didn't chime in on this thread earlier... I' in grad school, and this semester is kicking my butt, so I haven't been on OCDO much lately...

As Para Ordnance's most vocal unofficial OCDO propaganda minister, er, uh, PR spoeksman, (yeah thats it!), let me give you my MASSIVELY biased take on Para hi-caps...

I own a pretty heavily tricked-out S-14.45. It was custom built for me by Wayne Novak's shop in WV from a "gunsmith receiver", and a complete Para S-14.45 Limited upper. It has Wolff springs throughout, Ed Brown controls, and an old Videki adjustable trigger (they don't make them for Para's anymore, that I know of). It also has a set of custom rosewood double-diamond checkered grips.

With the stock Para plastic grip panels, a P-14 is just a little bit thicker in the grips than a single-stack 1911. (maybe 1/16")

But I will admit that with the wood grip panels, it IS a little thicker. Maybe 1/8" thicker than a single-stack 1911. That doesn't sound like a lot, but if you have small hands or short fingers, it can feel like holding a 2x4...

I love my Para. I will buy more Para's. In fact my next semiauto will DEFINITELY be another Para--probably one of their single-stack sub-compacts like the PDA in .45 or 9mm. They are VERY reliable (once properly broken in), will feed just about ANY ammo I try (from the cheapest range ammo to the most exotic self-defense rounds), they are nearly match-grade accurate right out of the box, and most of their models look STUNNING--even the GI model has a fit and finish far exceeding most other "budget" 1911s.

Granted, my Para is NOT a factory unit--it was custom-built by one of the top 1911 custom shops in the Eastern US, and it looks and functions accordingly. But I have shot several other Para's--from rental beaters at ranges, to privately-owned factory-stock guns owned by friends--and never have I had an issue or a complaint with any Para that has found its way into my hands.

I trust mine as my "fair weather carry gun". The only time I don't carry it daily is when the weather is to crappy (cold, rainy, etc) to OC. When I have to wear a coat, or it's raining, I usually CC with my Glock. But when I want to ""fly my OC flag" for everyone to see, it's usually the Para that goes on my hip.

The only thing about Para double-stacks that some people have a legitimate complaint about is that if your hands are small, the grips CAN seem a little on the fat side.

My stepdaughter (who is a pixie of a woman, with tiny hands) can barely hold on to the Para--but she CAN shoot it, and is pretty darn accurate when she has tried it. (But she MUCH prefers my Walther P-22...)

My suggestion is to find someone with a Para double-stack and try it out on the range. Some of the indoor ranges that rent guns have Para's in stock. I know for a fact that the indoor range in Asheville NC has 2 or 3 Para P-14.45s in their rental case...

If you make it to any of the "range days" in NC where I am in attendance, I'll gladly let you give my Para a "test drive".

Just ask around for "Dreamer"...

Attachments

• grips2.jpg
    grips2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 178
Last edited: