• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Questions?

unknown.skies

Okay I know that this has been asked a lot, but I just want to clarify a few things. I am in Independence , MO , my CCW class is in 2 weeks, but it will take another 6 weeks to get the CCW. My questions are about open carrying.

1. I am allowed to carry the gun anywhere in my car right? Loaded, Unloaded?
2. I know that you cannot open carry into like schools, goverment buildings, federal stuff like that, but for example, if I decide to go into walmart maybe or just walk out of my car to go to a friends house, or go inside my house and have the gun on my hip, holstered and in plain sight, is it illegal or legal, i know everyone says it is, but I just want to make sure on how does everyone do it.

I don't plan on carrying my gun on me a lot, because I just go to and from work and then at home. but when I do go out, and decide to open carry just want to make sure, i remember watching the news when a lot of people opened carried at starbucks downtown, and they said you can open carry with certain permits, and was wondering what permits those were. You can open carry with out a CCW right?

Please if someone could just clarify for me for the next 8 weeks I plan to open carry on what I can and can't do. This is my first pistol but not my first gun, I will be 23 this Saturday.

Thanks

Also I have a totally newbie question, please don't haste me :) but since this is my first pistol, PK380, i bought it from a licensed dealer, once I bought it, the gun is registered in my name right? I figured yea but never know.

Jim40Cal

Welcome, I am no expert but I will try to help and soon some others will come on and help you even further. The gun you bought is in your name. You can open carry in Independence unless theres a sign stating "No weapons". I invited channel 4 to the plaza and the reporter made the statement that with certain permits open carry was legal. No one knows where he came up with that as it's wrong. We have a meeting every 2nd Saturday of the month at 4:00 p.m. at certain places around Kansas City. Please come and join us if you can on March 12th. Stay tuned on here and we will name the place where were meeting soon. Like I said others will be on here later and can help you alot better than I can. Welcome Aboard,,James

goalseter88

welcome

1: yes you can keep your pistol concealed in your car WITHOUT a CCW licence, and it can be loaded. and you said your 23 in a few weeks, so the 21 age limit wont affect you.

2: yes you can OC to your car, walmart etc without a CCW permit.

and yes if you bought the gun from a dealer, it will be registered under your name.

kcgunfan

I'm no lawyer, but:

1. You are free to carry any legal gun any way you want inside of a car(RSMo 571.030, http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/c500-599/5710000030.htm ). Some LEO's get itchy if they see a gun next to you in the car. They shouldn't, but you need to know what's possible, whether it's correct or not.

2. Open carry is not regulated by the state, they don't care either way. But, it can be regulated by political subdivisions, like counties and cities, and whatever the heck the City of St. Louis is called (been a while since HS civics). You need to familiarize yourself with the laws for each county and city before you open carry there. It's OK more often than not and you can carry in more locations with a CCW than without, but that's scant comfort when you're being arrested.

3. Don't get in a fight about open carrying inside of businesses. If they ask you to leave, or disarm and come back, and you don't, that's trespassing (with more sanctions with you get your CCW license). If they ask you to cover your firearm, and you do (for now), that's carrying an illegally concealed weapon (which hurts more).

3. When you purchased the pistol, you may remember being asked a long long list of questions, and the salesperson making a phone call and giving the serial number and model of the gun, along with your birthdate, name, and SSN. You're free to draw your own conclusions.

unknown.skies

well on march 12th I am taking my CCW class so I will be there all day, how long will you guys be down there since your going at 4pm. I will try to make it, glad everyone clarified that up for me, i know totally noob questions but just making sure I cover my butt. I did print off the Independence Code on Unlawful use of weapons which states i can't conceal unless i have my ccw, which says nothing about open carry, but did see you cannot open carry into a building which is owned by the city and the schools in stuff, my friend and i friends with the captain of the indep. police department so as long as he says its ok i'll take that. once i get my ccw i will carry all the time as i do now.

Also when you guys open carry, do you carry loaded, or with magazine in the gun but not one in the chamber, or do you keep the mag out?

Last edited:

cshoff

<snip>......and yes if you bought the gun from a dealer, it will be registered under your name.

That is incorrect. There is no such thing as a Federal Gun Registry or a State Gun Registry in Missouri. NICS records are destroyed shortly after they are run. Only the FFL holder has a paper record of the sale.

cshoff

<snip>.....Also when you guys open carry, do you carry loaded, or with magazine in the gun but not one in the chamber, or do you keep the mag out?

A gun should always be loaded when you are ready to use it, and a gun carried for self protection SHOULD be ready to use at all times.

kcgunfan

That is incorrect. There is no such thing as a Federal Gun Registry or a State Gun Registry in Missouri. NICS records are destroyed shortly after they are run. Only the FFL holder has a paper record of the sale.

That's why I was intentionally vague. While I know that there is not supposed to be a registry, I simply cannot believe that the FFL holder's conversation with the BATFE isn't recorded somewhere, somehow. And, I don't trust BATFE to not share the information with the state either. That's just my personal opinion though.

cshoff

That's why I was intentionally vague. While I know that there is not supposed to be a registry, I simply cannot believe that the FFL holder's conversation with the BATFE isn't recorded somewhere, somehow. And, I don't trust BATFE to not share the information with the state either. That's just my personal opinion though.

There is a reason that the BATFE goes to FFL holders when they are trying to find information about firearms purchases made by specific people. If they had that information readily available in their own "file", it wouldn't make much sense for them to spend time and resources having FFL holders look back through years worth of 4473 forms.

While it's certainly POSSIBLE that the government has a "secret" record somewhere, nothing on it could ever be used as evidence in court as the mere presence of such a record would be unlawful. Unfortunately, I don't think it matters much in the overall scheme of things. Folks who believe their ownership of firearms is "hidden" or a well-kept "secret" are kidding themselves, especially those who openly post about their firearms ownership on the internet.

kcgunfan

your in the wrong forum

Really? I thought this site was about openly carrying your bicycle basket ;-) Don't worry, I have guns, and I do open carry them, although not that often. I just don't talk about my guns.

kcgunfan

Just to let the OP know, I did some looking into laws around the metro area, because I want to discuss some things with Rep Silvey. Grandview and KC are just fine, as is Independence. But, Gladstone is right out. Actually, according to their municipal code, you can't even carry concealed. So, their code is out of date. So, don't OC in Gladstone.