Thread: Pistol Scare at Middletown City Hall

Pistol Scare at Middletown City Hall

Hartford Courant

6:15 p.m. EST, February 23, 2011
    MIDDLETOWN
    Police were called to investigate a report that someone was carrying a pistol inside City Hall Wednesday morning.

A man - who was later identified as a retired state trooper was surrounded by officers who drew their weapons, police said. After an investigation into the suspect, police found that he had a valid state pistol permit and did not violate any laws.

The man was allowed to continue with his business inside the building without any more problems, police said.

Quote Originally Posted by JUMPMASTER View Post
    Hartford Courant

6:15 p.m. EST, February 23, 2011
    MIDDLETOWN
    Police were called to investigate a report that someone was carrying a pistol inside City Hall Wednesday morning.

A man - who was later identified as a retired state trooper was surrounded by officers who drew their weapons, police said. After an investigation into the suspect, police found that he had a valid state pistol permit and did not violate any laws.

The man was allowed to continue with his business inside the building without any more problems, police said.
    Oh noez!
    "Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Moderator / Administrator
    Is there any reason a pistol cary permit holder cannot carryin into city hall in Connecticut?

Couldn't you sue since the cops put you in undue danger by pointing a deadly weapon at you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Is there any reason a pistol cary permit holder cannot carryin into city hall in Connecticut?
    Town ordinances might come into play, but this was clearly a bad call by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by therealcombat View Post
    Couldn't you sue since the cops put you in undue danger by pointing a deadly weapon at you?
    At the very least, we need to gather the facts and publicly shame this department and their overreaction to a law abiding citizen. That person should also have filed a complaint against the PD.

Openly Carrying a Loaded Pistol into City Buildings is LEGAL under Connecticut Law, provided; that The Person doing so is Licensed to Carry a Pistol.

However, there Exists Preemption ONLY by Case Law, not Statutory Law, and, therefore, NO State Laws would be Broken should Local Govenrments opt for any such Ban.

I just got done writing up an FOIA request to the Middletown PD for more information on this matter. I will post it when I send it and post anything I receive. If anyone finds any further information on this, please let me know.

Glad to say it wasn't me!!!!!

I don't live far from there at all.

I can say, Middletown clearly has no idea about the actual laws when issuing permits, so why would they know the law when someone is actually legally carrying????

Jonathan
    www.ctpistolpermitissues.com - tracking all the local issuing authority, DPS and other insanity with permit issues
    www.ctgunsafety.com - my blog and growing list of links useful to gun owners (especially in Connecticut).

Rich B: My favorite argument against OC being legal in CT is "I have never seen someone OC in CT".
    I have never seen a person drink tea from a coke bottle while standing on their head, that doesn't mean it is illegal.

Out of simple curiosity, was this open carry, or a printing concealed issue? Do we know?

Nice, a Gun Free Zone...I think I am going to send a letter to the mayor thanking him for making life just a little bit easier for mass murderers....It's wonderful there are lots of freedom haters like him out there making life safe for criminals....My words just cannot express the joy..He is standing up for Tyranny...Not afraid to break down the wall of freedom..Anything he can do to make sure more people die quicker..To make sure you rememeber you don't have any rights....The Mayor is on your side!

Quote Originally Posted by buketdude View Post
    Nice, a Gun Free Zone...I think I am going to send a letter to the mayor thanking him for making life just a little bit easier for mass murderers....It's wonderful there are lots of freedom haters like him out there making life safe for criminals....My words just cannot express the joy..He is standing up for Tyranny...Not afraid to break down the wall of freedom..Anything he can do to make sure more people die quicker..To make sure you rememeber you don't have any rights....The Mayor is on your side!
    I am wondering if there is a city council meeting a bunch of us can attend and ask why they are taking away freedom because of unlawful and ridiculous behavior by the Middletown PD.

he's not gonna file complaint or charges . remember he is part of the bob gang.
    bob......( brotherhood of the badge)

Angry bunch of us can attend

Rich great idea! you let me know if you want to do this? we can't let this slide! because if it was me or you or anybody carry a gun in the town hall. we would be punish for the act alone. and everything that they can throw at us.

CARRY ON!

Quote Originally Posted by bushwacker View Post
    he's not gonna file complaint or charges . remember he is part of the bob gang.
    bob......( brotherhood of the badge)
    Yep, your not kidding. Let me ask this question, does ANYONE here think the outcome would have been different if this "permit holder" WASN'T a former LEO???

Angry this "permit holder" WASN'T a former LEO???[/

Yes Sir. No Doubt. just remember some's .not all LEO's. Feel that they are above Law. and get away with it. they Flock together and look out for each other.

I love the fact that the person that was carrying had a permit and yet they persist to say that a gun got into city hall. I could understand if the person was carrying illegally, but here is a law abiding citizen and now we have to change some rules because someone that was following the laws had a gun in city hall. I just do not get it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ctgunfreedom View Post
    I love the fact that the person that was carrying had a permit and yet they persist to say that a gun got into city hall. I could understand if the person was carrying illegally, but here is a law abiding citizen and now we have to change some rules because someone that was following the laws had a gun in city hall. I just do not get it!!!

They should really put a leash on those evil guns, they tend to travel all over the place.

Something like a leather or plastic pocket or pouch that they could fit in that would limit their movement maybe...

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    As an aside, why would a retired state trooper need a permit? He should be qualified under LEOSA.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Meanwhile, in DuBois, Pennsylvania, the city's mayor essentially apologized for someone trying to stop citizens from carrying firearms at city council meetings.

http://thecourierexpress.com/courier...bois-city.html

Of course, he did request that such things be carried concealed, but he knew he couldn't force the issue.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    As an aside, why would a retired state trooper need a permit? He should be qualified under LEOSA.
    In CT, a state pistol permit would allow him to both CC and OC (LEOSA only covers CC) and purchase handguns. A person also does not need to requalify to keep or renew a CT state pistol permit (LEOSA requires annual requalification). Of course, given the surroundings, a retired LEO in CT certainly has a great incentive to maintain a LEOSA qualification to carry in neighboring states.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Admitted to practice in West Virginia and Florida.

Founder, Past President, Treasurer, and General Counsel, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.
    Life Member, NRA

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WVCDL View Post
    In CT, a state pistol permit would allow him to both CC and OC (LEOSA only covers CC) and purchase handguns. A person also does not need to requalify to keep or renew a CT state pistol permit (LEOSA requires annual requalification). Of course, given the surroundings, a retired LEO in CT certainly has a great incentive to maintain a LEOSA qualification to carry in neighboring states.
    Thanks for reconnecting the dots. Momentarily forgot that LEOSA does not cover OC even though I have been talking about exactly that elsewhere. My bad.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

FOI request sent

Quote Originally Posted by http://withregardstorights.com/post/2011/06/25/FOIA-request-sent-for-Middetown-City-Hall-police-scare.aspx
    I think it is in the best interest of the open carry community to know what happened in this incident with more detail than what is presented in this story:
    Officers respond to pistol carrier with guns drawn in city hall.

Something very wrong happened here and the Middletown police need to have sunlight laid upon them and this incident.

FOI request
    Response to be posted shortly.
    Last edited by Rich B; 07-12-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Response to FOI request received

Quote Originally Posted by http://withregardstorights.com/post/2011/06/28/Response-received-from-Middletown-FOI-request.aspx
    I have recieved a response to my request for information regarding the incident of the person who had weapons drawn on him in the Middletown City Hall for being in possession of a firearm.

No actual information yet, but the response indicates they will be in contact.

FOI response
    I like how they make up their own rules for FOI copy fees. No thanks, I will go by the state statutes.