• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol Scare at Middletown City Hall

JUMPMASTER

Hartford Courant

6:15 p.m. EST, February 23, 2011
MIDDLETOWN —
Police were called to investigate a report that someone was carrying a pistol inside City Hall Wednesday morning.

A man - who was later identified as a retired state trooper – was surrounded by officers who drew their weapons, police said. After an investigation into the suspect, police found that he had a valid state pistol permit and did not violate any laws.

The man was allowed to continue with his business inside the building without any more problems, police said.

emsjeep

Hartford Courant

6:15 p.m. EST, February 23, 2011
MIDDLETOWN —
Police were called to investigate a report that someone was carrying a pistol inside City Hall Wednesday morning.

A man - who was later identified as a retired state trooper – was surrounded by officers who drew their weapons, police said. After an investigation into the suspect, police found that he had a valid state pistol permit and did not violate any laws.

The man was allowed to continue with his business inside the building without any more problems, police said.

Oh noez!

aadvark

Openly Carrying a Loaded Pistol into City Buildings is LEGAL under Connecticut Law, provided; that The Person doing so is Licensed to Carry a Pistol.

However, there Exists Preemption ONLY by Case Law, not Statutory Law, and, therefore, NO State Laws would be Broken should Local Govenrments opt for any such Ban.

Rich B

I just got done writing up an FOIA request to the Middletown PD for more information on this matter. I will post it when I send it and post anything I receive. If anyone finds any further information on this, please let me know.

KIX

Glad to say it wasn't me!!!!!

I don't live far from there at all.

I can say, Middletown clearly has no idea about the actual laws when issuing permits, so why would they know the law when someone is actually legally carrying????

Jonathan

buketdude

Nice, a Gun Free Zone...I think I am going to send a letter to the mayor thanking him for making life just a little bit easier for mass murderers....It's wonderful there are lots of freedom haters like him out there making life safe for criminals....My words just cannot express the joy..He is standing up for Tyranny...Not afraid to break down the wall of freedom..Anything he can do to make sure more people die quicker..To make sure you rememeber you don't have any rights....The Mayor is on your side!

Rich B

Nice, a Gun Free Zone...I think I am going to send a letter to the mayor thanking him for making life just a little bit easier for mass murderers....It's wonderful there are lots of freedom haters like him out there making life safe for criminals....My words just cannot express the joy..He is standing up for Tyranny...Not afraid to break down the wall of freedom..Anything he can do to make sure more people die quicker..To make sure you rememeber you don't have any rights....The Mayor is on your side!

I am wondering if there is a city council meeting a bunch of us can attend and ask why they are taking away freedom because of unlawful and ridiculous behavior by the Middletown PD.

Alex.EastHartford.

bunch of us can attend

Rich great idea! you let me know if you want to do this? we can't let this slide! because if it was me or you or anybody carry a gun in the town hall. we would be punish for the act alone. and everything that they can throw at us.

CARRY ON!

KennyB

he's not gonna file complaint or charges . remember he is part of the bob gang.
bob......( brotherhood of the badge)

Yep, your not kidding. Let me ask this question, does ANYONE here think the outcome would have been different if this "permit holder" WASN'T a former LEO???

ctgunfreedom

I love the fact that the person that was carrying had a permit and yet they persist to say that a gun got into city hall. I could understand if the person was carrying illegally, but here is a law abiding citizen and now we have to change some rules because someone that was following the laws had a gun in city hall. I just do not get it!!!

Rich B

I love the fact that the person that was carrying had a permit and yet they persist to say that a gun got into city hall. I could understand if the person was carrying illegally, but here is a law abiding citizen and now we have to change some rules because someone that was following the laws had a gun in city hall. I just do not get it!!!

They should really put a leash on those evil guns, they tend to travel all over the place.

Something like a leather or plastic pocket or pouch that they could fit in that would limit their movement maybe...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
As an aside, why would a retired state trooper need a permit? He should be qualified under LEOSA.