• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying Loaded in MT

goosemama

We are going to be visiting West Yellowstone, MT next month and I wanted to confirm how I can carry my weapon in your lovely State. In Utah, since both my husband and I have our concealed carry permits, we open carry fully loaded. However, I would like to know what MT law says. I have been searching the statutes, but would love another opinion.

Anyone who could help me out would be most appreciated.

MT GUNNY

Open Carry is fine.

45-3-111. Openly carrying weapon -- display -- exemption. (1) Any person who is not otherwise prohibited from doing so by federal or state law may openly carry a weapon and may communicate to another person the fact that the person has a weapon.
(2) If a person reasonably believes that the person or another person is threatened with bodily harm, the person may warn or threaten the use of force, including deadly force, against the aggressor, including drawing or presenting a weapon.
(3) This section does not limit the authority of the board of regents or other postsecondary institutions to regulate the carrying of weapons, as defined in 45-8-361(5)(b), on their campuses.

No restrictions on, or definitons on what Loaded is. Nothing in Montana code address it.

goosemama

You guys are great!! I really appreciate it. I knew my permit allowed me to Open carry in MT, but I prefer to be up-to-date on the laws in the State I am going to be in.

We as gun owner's have enough challenges that face us everyday when carrying our weapons openly and we don't need to complicate our lives by acting irresponsibly and not following the laws for other States.

Thanks again.

40s-and-wfan

You don't need a permit to OC in the state of Montana. As far as looking at the statutes, you're not going to find much in there that talks about OC at all. If it says anything in there, it'll say where you can't CC and that's about it. Montana's pretty lenient about it's carry laws here, and hopefully will get a little more lenient in the near future.
As others have mentioned, your CC Permit is accepted here so that makes things somewhat easy. You'll enjoy things while you're here. Just make sure you adhere to local laws and keep abreast of where you CAN'T carry and you'll be fine.