• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got accused of Reckless Endangerment by an LEO...

country.hacker

Hey guys, was hoping to get some input on this. I considered myself pretty knowledgeable about my rights and responsibilities as an open carry advocate, but my first real interaction with a LEO made me realize I don't really know all that I need to. Before I begin, I know some of you guys will think I "wussed out" or didn't stand up for my rights, and maybe you're right, so I'm sorry in advance. I was on a date with my wife and I didn't want to mess up her evening, and like I said, some of the things that happened made me realize I don't know everything I should about carrying. Anyway, to the story...

Last night I took my wife out on a date to Olive Garden, then skating at the Riverfront Park Ice Palace in Spokane. As always, I was open carrying my Kimber 1911 in a holster with a retention strap that feeds between the hammer and slide (This bit is important later). No trouble at dinner, and for the first 20 minutes or so of skating I notice a few looks at my piece, but nobody says anything. Then two official looking guys in security jackets and earpieces wave me off of the rink and ask to talk to me. One guy did most of the talking, let's call him "Jerry", and boy did he seem agitated.

He asked why I was open carrying, as soon as I started with "It's my second amendment..." he cut me off with a dismissive wave of his hand and a "Yeah yeah, it's your damned right". Nice. He asked to see my ID. I took a long, obvious look at his "Security" badge on his jacket, and told him I wasn't required to let him see it, which seemed to piss him off even more. He informed me that he was a Spokane County Sheriff's deputy, and that I was required to show him my ID. Okay, so unless I'm operating a motor vehicle he still doesn't have the right to demand my ID, but I want to try to defuse the situation a little, so I let him see it. He hands it to his buddy, let's call him "Bobby", who walked a little distance away to run it over the radio, make sure I wasn't a dangerous criminal. (Who's ice skating with his wife. Right.)

It's at this point that he gives me a passionate, profanity laced lecture on how open carrying is fine just when you're walking around, but when you're ice skating it's very dangerous and considered reckless endangerment. If I slipped and fell and my gun went off and killed somebody, I'd be held liable. Okay, now at no time did he ask if my gun was loaded (It was, I carry condition 1, but there's no way he could know that), and when I asked if he was familiar with the 1911 and how when there's a retention strap between the hammer and the slide there's no way in the world the gun is discharging, he was again very dismissive, he didn't care about that. He left me with the idea that it was less about public safety and more about people complaining, and him wanting to assert his authority.

So Bobby comes back with a negative on my ID, I've never gotten so much as a parking ticket in my life. Jerry gives me an ultimatum, either take the gun off, or leave the rink. I ask point blank "You're telling me it's illegal to ice skate while open carrying?" to which he responds "Yes it damn well is illegal". Again, I believe he was in the wrong, but as the evening was supposed to be about my wife and I'd rather not end up in the back of a police car, I agree to remove the gun and put it in my car for the rest of the evening. I did ask for his card, which he had to go back to his office for, and he showed me his County Sheriff's ID which matched his name.

So finally, here's what I'm unsure about:

A) What is the definition of Reckless Endangerment, and is ice skating while open carrying considered so? Is there a good solid definition, or is it at the discretion of the LEO?

B) Jerry was (seemingly) off duty at the time, working a second job as a security guard for the park. (Right? Or since he's working for the park, is that considered on duty? The card he gave me was for the Spokane City Parks and Recreation district) Can off duty LEOs require ID, make arrests, etc?

(I know the "FREEEDOMMM" thing to do is ask if you're being detained, if not then walk away, if yes then give nothing but name and address). Depending on some answers I get here I'm totally going back some evening and making a stand when I don't have my wife or kids with me.

I'll also be contacting the County Sheriff's office and filing a complaint, Jerry was extremely rude and vulgar, in no way acting like a public servant should.

So do you guys have any words of wisdom, advice? I'd love to hear from some people with more experience than I have, because I'm not going to stop carrying, but I really would like to be prepared for this same situation. Thanks for sticking through the wall of text.

TL: DR version: Ice Palace security who are also cops rudely told me I couldn't skate while open carrying because it was reckless endangerment.

Last edited:

NavyMike

Reckless Endangerment Definition

A) What is the definition of Reckless Endangerment, and is ice skating while open carrying considered so? Is there a good solid definition, or is it at the discretion of the LEO?

RCW 9A.36.050
Reckless endangerment.

(1) A person is guilty of reckless endangerment when he or she recklessly engages in conduct not amounting to drive-by shooting but that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.

(2) Reckless endangerment is a gross misdemeanor.

Somehow I don't think that OC while skating fits the "substantial risk of death etc" element. Maybe, if you actually had an ND.

Apparently, the drive-by shooting part is a reference to the fact that a drive-by used to be called 'reckless endangerment in the first degree'.

ETA: It is often used to accompany a DUI charge if children are in the car and as a domestic violence offense.

Last edited:

therealcombat

If your weapon is carried safely, i don't see how it could possibly be reckless endangerment. I ride my sport bike with a thigh rig. Before i started doing so i even checked with a local LEO and was assured I'd be fine. The guy you ran into obviously had something against OCers.

END_THE_FED

Reckless endangerment RCW 9.A.36.050
(1) A person is guilty of reckless endangerment when he or she recklessly engages in conduct not amounting to drive-by shooting but that creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.

B) Jerry was (seemingly) off duty at the time, working a second job as a security guard for the park. (Right? Or since he's working for the park, is that considered on duty? The card he gave me was for the Spokane City Parks and Recreation district) Can off duty LEOs require ID, make arrests, etc?
In the State of Washington LEO enjoy all rights and privileges granted to them by their "commissioned status", regardless of weather or not they are "on the clock". (I dont have the cite for this right now but this is how I understand it to be.)

.....Okay, so unless I'm operating a motor vehicle he still doesn't have the right to demand my ID.....
You would also be required to identify yourself if the LEO was going to issue an infraction.

As soon as he identified himself as LEO I would have asked if I was under arrest; when he said no, I would of asked if it was his intent to write an infraction for reckless endangerment.

You were under no obligation to show ID, or to put your gun in the car. That being said you had other obligations that demanded your energy and attention that night. Sometimes we have to pick our battles, or at least postpone them to a more convenient time.

NavyMike

RCW 9A.36.050
Reckless endangerment.

Adding a definition from Spokane City Code.

10.11.020 Reckless Endangerment.
A. A person is guilty of city reckless endangerment when he recklessly engages in conduct not amounting to felony reckless endangerment under RCW 9A.36.045 but which creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person.
B. City reckless endangerment is a gross misdemeanor.
[Ord. C31742; Passed: 9/30/1996]
Cross Reference: RCW 9A.36.050.

bushwacker

a cop is never off duty not since the patriot act and leosa(law enforcement officer security act) and if people were complaining enough to where the cops had to get involved , then I would say that you used the best judgement taking it to the car or just getting it off the rink, besides , if someone started shooting then how good and controled are your shots gonna be while skating on ice. and yes the officers could have approched you in a better way. however , an arrest ( right or wrong ) is never to the good (unless you sue for big money and win) of the present cause. so i would have to say that skating with gun on ice could be looked at like running with scissors. and we are taught not to run with scissors cause that would be living dangerous. besides as for now.our goal is to get the public to feel a little safer and more relaxed around open carry, after all open carry is still skating on thin ice.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I think you did fine considering your objectives for the evening. Have you spoken to your wife about a possible interaction, detainment, arrest? If not, now is a good time to do so....

As to reckless endangerment, my opinion is that it would be quite a stretch as firearms are carried safely by thousands, hundreds of thousands everyday without a 'reckless discharge'. The 1911 is carried in combat, by police officers, by NRA instructors and by competition shooters under similar circumstances and without incident.

There are certain circumstances in which I CC and will always CC... This might of been one of them. What would the off duty police officer have done had he not seen the firearm? How many CC'd firearms cause 'reckless endangerment'? Personally I may of gone to my car and either covered my firearm and gone back CC or switched to my BUG and gone back CC.

After talking with your wife, I would recommend.... not talking to the police. "Am I being detained? Am I under arrest?" And then return to skating or walk away.

bennie1986

Next spokane meet an ice skating event? Lmfao!

Sorry you had to deal with that. I have never herd of a negative spokane sheriff interaction.

Last edited:

Sparky508

"You would also be required to identify yourself if the LEO was going to issue an infraction."

Identify yourself, but not necessarily relinquish your ID,

o2ryan

Next spokane meet an ice skating event? Lmfao!

Sorry you had to deal with that. I have never herd of a negative spokane sheriff interaction.

Indeed. File a complaint based on his verbal conduct. Having a recording would help substantiate a complaint like this in the future though.

For what it's worth, I doubt I would have handled it any differently considering the circumstances. You were best not to make a scene in front of you wife unless she is prepared for that and has your back.

Bennie is right, an OC skating party would be hilarious.

Last edited:

amlevin

Indeed. File a complaint based on his verbal conduct. Having a recording would help substantiate a complaint like this in the future though.

For what it's worth, I doubt I would have handled it any differently considering the circumstances. You were best not to make a scene in front of you wife unless she is prepared for that and has your back.

With all these picnics and skating events that are in our future we all ought to consider getting some good old fashioned "Texas Barbecue Guns" like one of these:

3cs_hipwr_gprenarg.jpg

And don't forget the rest of the "rig" to go with it. Fancier the better.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
With all these picnics and skating events that are in our future we all ought to consider getting some good old fashioned "Texas Barbecue Guns" like one of these:

3cs_hipwr_gprenarg.jpg

And don't forget the rest of the "rig" to go with it. Fancier the better.

Hmmm.... I wonder if they would let me use the lasermark system at work...

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I think you did fine considering your objectives for the evening. Have you spoken to your wife about a possible interaction, detainment, arrest? If not, now is a good time to do so....

I've done that. Her response is, "Just make sure I have keys to the car...."

I have instructed family to get out their cell phones and record the interaction as well....

Trigger Dr

Based on the information from OP, there is a strong possibility that the security officers were employees of the parks department, and held a "Special Deputy" commission.
As a "special deputy", normally they are only authorized to use that "authority" when accompanied by a fully commissioned officer.
Could possibly be an "under color of law" violation as well.
IANAL

bennie1986

And we are calling it a party! Rotfl Omg I might die of laughter before the day is over! Quick someone start the spokane opencarry ice skating party meet sticky! Lol!

BTW, I am in no way trying to minimize the seriousness of the situation or make fun of op's situation. I really do feel action is needed in this matter.

Last edited:

amlevin

Based on the information from OP, there is a strong possibility that the security officers were employees of the parks department, and held a "Special Deputy" commission.
As a "special deputy", normally they are only authorized to use that "authority" when accompanied by a fully commissioned officer.
Could possibly be an "under color of law" violation as well.
IANAL

You wouldn't be implying that they might be guilty of threatening someone with arrest if they continued to go about a legal activity would you? Kind of like "Coercion"? (also a violation of State Law)