• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunshot 'GPS' could help in neighborhoods

HandyHamlet

Beloit installed it about 2 years ago. 219,000 dollars to cover one square mile. The above article is a good one.
The current ShotSpotter system cost $219,000, of which $50,000 came from the CIP Budget and $163,000 from federal earmarks, according to Jacobs.

Jacobs said, however, it is important to keep expenses in perspective.

For example, he said it costs $100,000 a year to house the department’s prisoners

Say what? That's twice the average income!

Also I'm supposed to believe they had 326 guns going off in one square mile???

BULLSH*T.

Where is all that led raining down? Unless of course they are talking Beloit, Afghanistan.

:banghead:

Last edited:
M

McX

i have little respect, and give little credence to the crowings of the chief of police who has promiced to put law abiding citizens on the ground, ie; prone them out, who are exercising their Constitutional rights. they are no better than chief knobby in my book.

added on edit; my computer is crap, and i put this in the wrong thread, but it still applies, now i gotta go past it over to the milwaukee thread.

there, that's better.

HandyHamlet

Old anaconda in the pants Flynn claims 101 gunshots in 30 day in just one part if the city.

Seriously. How is that even possible? Where are all these bullets going? Where is the property damage? The collateral damage? Why aren't bullets tearing through houses killing sleeping children? That's always what happens when gang bangers try to take out people in Chicago. Someone else always gets hit like three blocks away. So where is the carnage?

If this bullsh*t was even remotely true the streets would be slippery with the blood of innocent bystanders.

civilwarguy

Old anaconda in the pants Flynn claims 101 gunshots in 30 day in just one part if the city.

Seriously. How is that even possible? Where are all these bullets going? Where is the property damage? The collateral damage? Why aren't bullets tearing through houses killing sleeping children? That's always what happens when gang bangers try to take out people in Chicago. Someone else always gets hit like three blocks away. So where is the carnage?

If this bullsh*t was even remotely true the streets would be slippery with the blood of innocent bystanders.

I think someone for got to tell him he cant count the shot at the local shooting range in his figures

smithman

I am against ANY Tax payer funded "Big Brother" Technology that is used against the American People, that goes with Camera's all over the place.

A-friggin-men. Gunshot detectors or cameras don't help you at all when your staring down the barrel of a felon's illegally obtained gun. I heard about this about this technology about 10 years ago on the discovery channel and I was waiting for it to appear somewhere locally. Turns out its just over the county border in Milwaukee. The Milwaukee police and Herb Kohl who funded it should be ashamed of themselves.

M

McX

cute device(s), will never catch on. wont detect if Mothra, or Godzilla are closing in on Milwaukee now will it?!

Lurchiron

cute device(s), will never catch on. wont detect if Mothra, or Godzilla are closing in on Milwaukee now will it?!

A good device would be one that detects & aprehends red handed(...err appendage), adulterous public officials named(rhymes w/gin)...NOW that would be handy to have!!! :banana:

Last edited:
M

McX

got to wonder how this new fangled device will respond to fireworks, or cars backfiring?

protias

got to wonder how this new fangled device will respond to fireworks, or cars backfiring?
Apparently it can decipher that. They say it is the same as the military uses. I'm only familiar with the antennas on Humvees that show where the shot came from. I'm not sure how those sensors are the same as they haven't described this system.

Lurchiron

Apparently it can decipher that. They say it is the same as the military uses. I'm only familiar with the antennas on Humvees that show where the shot came from. I'm not sure how those sensors are the same as they haven't described this system.

The system was shown on TV(which show I forget), and it relys on a spherical array of 7(?) microphones mounted outboard of the vehicle. Each mic measures the delay across the sphere, and viola...bearing & distance on the inside monitor.

Lurchiron

Gotta ease back on the greasy cheeseburgers & chili dogs with that thing rolling thru the neighborhood. Don't want to get methanated and go off by mistake...someone light a match!!!